PSA: Bikeinsights.com: great geometry resource

Reid Echols

May 15, 2019, 8:52:59 PM5/15/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi folks,

Mentioned it in another thread but figured I’d replicate here for all and sundry:

https://bikeinsights.com/ is a one-stop shop for geometry comparisons among a staggering range of bikes and makers, including Riv. I’m not affiliated, but I do occasionally ride with one of the founders (Dan/@hobocross). It’s saved me from making several impulse purchases, but encouraged several others, so use at your own risk...

Reid in Austin

Eric Daume

May 16, 2019, 8:40:34 PM5/16/19
to rbw-owners-bunch
I like the concept of this site, but my nit to pick is that things like the "amount of head tube above the top tube" seems to be standardized. As a result, bikes with stupid looking extended head tubes (eg, New Albion Privateer) don't correctly compare the top tube angle.

I'm not sure how to fix this, since this type of detail isn't published, but it's something I look for in comparing frames. As a tall guy, I want a tall head tube, but that should be space between the top and down tubes, not stack-inflating extensions.

Eric

Reid Echols

May 16, 2019, 8:49:02 PM5/16/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Also a tall guy with those concerns! I know they’re constantly trying to work with manufacturers to get as much data as they can. I think the long-term plan is to build such a useful resource that manufacturers and retailers will have incentive to provide complete info.

Fullylugged

May 17, 2019, 8:25:12 AM5/17/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Eric says: "As a result, bikes with stupid looking extended head tubes (eg, New Albion Privateer) don't correctly compare the top tube angle."

This is a Rivendell trend too, starting with the Road Standard around 1996 and forward. Extended HT was meant to allow quill stems to get up higher for more comfort. My earlier '95 Road does not have an extended HT (which is one way to tell it apart from a "Standard"). My Ram does have the extended HT. I like them both, actually.

Eric Daume

May 17, 2019, 9:08:28 AM5/17/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I think the Riv lugs hide the extension better than the plain head tube of something like the New Albion. Plus, the extension on a Riv is actually functional, in that it lets you get the bars higher. On a threadless bike, bar height is really dictated by the steerer length (carbon forks excepted)