Los Angeles Riv Ride

Houston Wilson

Apr 23, 2023, 5:40:12 PM4/23/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi socal Riv riders,

I've been lurking in the RBW Owners Bunch for a little while and I'm inspired by all of the regional rides being organized. Would anyone be interested in doing a LA Riv ride/meetup at some point in May? I'd love to ride with y'all, make some new friends, and ogle at your bikes!

Depending on where most folks are located, I think it could be cool to do the Will Rogers inspiration loop in the Western Santa Monica's or a Griffith Park/Hollywood Sign moment. Regardless, it'd be a chill pace with a cafe stop or two thrown in.

I'd love to hear from you, let me know your thoughts!

-Houston from Venice

Keith Paugh

Apr 23, 2023, 7:47:51 PM4/23/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I’d love to do this.
I’m in.

Keith from Mar Vista

On Apr 23, 2023, at 2:40 PM, Houston Wilson <hwi...@smprep.org> wrote:

Hi socal Riv riders,

Brian Cunningham

Apr 24, 2023, 11:47:34 AM4/24/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Houston -

If my schedule allows, I’m in, likely on my Sam Hillborne. Could probably coax an Atlantis-owner friend to join, too. He’s in Glassell Park; I’m in Glendale.

Paging Joe Mullins, who is also on this list and local, but is a new dad and not sure how much free time he’s got.

Ben Adrian of Echo Park had organized a min Riv-heavy ride in NELA/DTLA a few months back. He has since unloaded his one Riv but built up a Rivish Soma that I’ve yet to see. And perhaps he would join, too.

Thanks for proposing this!

Brian Cunningham
Glendale, CA

Ted Durant

Apr 24, 2023, 1:17:19 PM4/24/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Sunday, April 23, 2023 at 4:40:12 PM UTC-5 Houston Wilson wrote:
Depending on where most folks are located, I think it could be cool to do the Will Rogers inspiration loop in the Western Santa Monica's or a Griffith Park/Hollywood Sign moment. Regardless, it'd be a chill pace with a cafe stop or two thrown in.

I don't think I'm going to make it out that way in May. In fact, my LA daughter is planning to come here for a week. I'll watch the thread with interest, though. As for the route ... I can't imagine Griffith Park/Hollywood Sign being a very "chill" ride - that's a lot of climbing! But it's beautiful and fun.

Ted Durant
Milwaukee, WI (and occasionally Alhambra, CA)

Keith P.

Apr 24, 2023, 1:34:17 PM4/24/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I remember Ben/bunnyadrian planning a local ride last year.
Has he seen this yet?

Ben Adrian

Apr 24, 2023, 2:08:22 PM4/24/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey all!
I will be out of the country for about two weeks in MAY, but would love to join if I am in town. By no means should the scheduling be done around my availability.

Cheers!
Ben

Tony Lockhart

Apr 25, 2023, 12:18:43 AM4/25/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Count me in.

I'm in South Pasadena (orange Hillborne bought in 2009). Haven't browsed this forum in a few years, but decided to check in because I wanted to go on a group ride. Oddly enough, I saw a parked Atlantis at the 626 Golden Streets event yesterday. Seems like the perfect time to meet up with some other folks, especially since some of the newer Rivs look drastically different.

Cheers,
Tony

Bryan

Apr 25, 2023, 10:24:40 AM4/25/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi! I might be able to make it, schedule permitting. Sounds fun!

Bryan Edgar
Valley Village

Houston Wilson

Apr 25, 2023, 11:10:18 AM4/25/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yay, I'm loving hearing from y'all!

1. Anyone have a preference for May 13th, 20th, or 27th?

2. Regarding the route, it seems like most folks are out east, so Griffith seems like the best option.

Ted D.--point taken about Griffith + Hollywood sign not being very chill. So, probably best to just stick to griffith, but if anyone wants to ride to the Hollywood sign after, I'd be super down!

So, I'm thinking meet by the Greek and do a little loop up to Vista del Valle and around to the Observatory. This would be about 8 mi with ~1000 ft. of elevation. I don't ride in griffith a ton, so if anyone has route suggestions/food spots to hit up before/after...please share haha!

Brian Cunningham

Apr 25, 2023, 12:35:17 PM4/25/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Of those 3 dates, I’m only available on the 27th, but my tricky schedule is not everyone else’s problem. I’ll join you if that ends up being the best date for all parties involved.

Brian

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 25, 2023, at 8:10 AM, Houston Wilson <hwi...@smprep.org> wrote:

Yay, I'm loving hearing from y'all!

Keith Paugh

Apr 25, 2023, 1:21:18 PM4/25/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I am available on the 13th, but might be flexible on the 20th

k.

On Apr 25, 2023, at 9:35 AM, Brian Cunningham <thisisbria...@gmail.com> wrote:

Of those 3 dates, I’m only available on the 27th, but my tricky schedule is not everyone else’s problem. I’ll join you if that ends up being the best date for all parties involved.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/AD232A60-CB0E-42A6-8284-4F370DFCFD16%40gmail.com.

Tony Lockhart

Apr 26, 2023, 12:00:35 AM4/26/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I can make it on the 13th or 27th. Also, I teach for a living so the schedule's wide open during the summer.

Chris Buzzini

Apr 26, 2023, 12:13:44 PM4/26/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Great idea. I'll do my best to join as well. Looking forward to it.

isaac ramos

Apr 26, 2023, 2:54:00 PM4/26/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Im in! I never took that ride Houston mentions but sounds fun. Weekend mornings? Mid week call in sick to work?
Also Cub House in San Marino is having a big bike party on Sunday May 21 if Rivendell riders wanted to meet there and ride out on a Pasadena loop. I plan to go to this, got some good parts last year at the flea.

Bryce Dwyer

Apr 26, 2023, 2:54:53 PM4/26/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi all –– Atlantis rider in the Pomona Valley here. I could likely make the 20th or the 27th, with a preference for the 27th.

Tony: I think that was my Atlantis you saw! I'd guess that was your parked orange Riv at the Palomares Adobe that I saw too. What a coincidence!

The Mt. Hollywood route is definitely a climb but it has some great payoff! I usually just take a break or two on my way up.

David Person

Apr 26, 2023, 5:03:38 PM4/26/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Griffith Park would be doable for me 20th or 27th.

David
Black & Tan Sam
Thousand Oaks

Tony Lockhart

Apr 27, 2023, 12:14:29 AM4/27/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
@isaac -- The Cub House events are right around the corner from me....excellent bike shop. And their community events are a blast. Definitely a great opportunity for a Pasadena ride especially since there are a ton of good coffee shops in the area.

@bryce -- Yep, that was orange Sam at Palomares Adobe. What a great location. My daughter and I were attending the 626 event and happened upon the grounds. Will definitely go back there with the rest of the family in the future. BTW, your Atlantis looks dialed in. Really love the handlebar setup, and will probably go that route once the Roaduno frames come out.

mm

Apr 27, 2023, 10:48:04 AM4/27/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Valley head checking in; I can't commit to any May dates but wanted rep the set.

For awareness, Isaac is talking about the 2023 Los Angeles Invitational (Everyone's invited) 5/20 - 5/21. John Prolly's write 2022 write-up: A Weekend at The Cub House’s 2022 LA Invitational
I signed up for the 55 mile ride on Saturday and reserved a spot at the swap. It's a great event and everyone is super nice. The swap is really good too because sellers usually have interesting or high end items.
-Matt

losangelesinvitational.jpg

Houston Wilson

Apr 27, 2023, 10:56:40 AM4/27/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi y'all,

Thank you for all of your feedback/responses! It's looking like May 27th has the highest level of availability! We can always adjust specifics closer to the date, but for now let's keep the morning/afternoon of the 27th open. As a tentative plan, let's meet at Franklin's Cafe across from the Greek at 8 am.

Isaac and Matt, I'm gonna try to make it out to the Cub House that weekend...it looks so sick!

So excited to meet everyone!

-Houston

Houston Wilson

Apr 27, 2023, 11:32:49 AM4/27/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
RBWLAMeetup.jpg

David Person

Apr 28, 2023, 5:04:29 PM4/28/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've marked my calendar.

Bryce Dwyer

Apr 28, 2023, 6:55:01 PM4/28/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm planning on attending as well. Also thinking about the "single scoop" for the LA Invitational.

Houston Wilson

May 24, 2023, 12:56:23 PM5/24/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi everyone,

I'm looking forward to seeing y'all this Saturday at Griffith for our LA Riv meet-up! All riders are welcome, Riv bike owners or not. Originally, the meet-up was for 8 AM, but I want to push it back an hour to start in some warmer weather. If anyone isn't cool with this, we can always go back to the og time, just LMK.

As a reminder, here are the details:

When: 9 AM
Where: Franklin's Cafe across from the Greek at 2650 N Vermont Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90027
Route: Loop around Vista del Valle to the Observatory around 10 mi with 1k ft. of climbing

Optional Extras: If people want, we can throw in a pie stop at House of Pies after the Observatory &/or add on the Hollywood Sign climb for folks who want to do some more climbing!

-Houston

Brian Cunningham

May 24, 2023, 3:14:15 PM5/24/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Great! Looking for to it. Looks like a perfect 71 degree day is in store for us. The 9am start seems like a good balance. Early enough but not too early. Admittedly the starting point is only a 30 min ride from my place.

Brian/Glendale/2015 Hillborne

David Person

May 24, 2023, 6:18:23 PM5/24/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Unfortunately, I'll have to pass.  More climbing than I'm in shape for at this time.

David/Thousand Oaks/2015 Hillborne

Bryce Dwyer

May 24, 2023, 6:27:46 PM5/24/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm planning to join!

Ben Adrian

May 24, 2023, 7:20:04 PM5/24/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looking forward to it, though I am Riv-less at the moment. The Riv-minded, party pace ride :)

Ben

Tony Lockhart

May 25, 2023, 8:26:05 PM5/25/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
IMG_0338.jpegIMG_0337.jpegIMG_0336.jpeg

Ugh….super bummed I can’t make it! Sorry all. Something came up.

Off topic, but I dabble with sewing and have a few prototype bags that I was gonna give away. Not really interested in shipping….just figured I’d pass them on to the next person. Maybe we can get another ride scheduled soon.

Ben Adrian

May 26, 2023, 1:41:11 PM5/26/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Those bags look super cool. I look forward to checking them out on a future ride.

Ben

Bryce Dwyer

May 27, 2023, 11:23:08 AM5/27/23
to RBW Owners Bunch

Hi all — on my way but will likely arrive right at 9:00

chris....@gmail.com

May 27, 2023, 11:27:54 AM5/27/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Same here, see you all in a bit.

Sent from my iPhone

mm

May 27, 2023, 10:08:04 PM5/27/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
It was really nice meeting everyone today. Thanks for putting this together, Houston! -Matt

52930629896_37f8dac6c8_k.jpg
52931014820_aa47186b7d_k.jpg
52931069163_9fa788d6e4_k.jpg

Tony Lockhart

May 28, 2023, 12:28:47 AM5/28/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Great photos! I’ll definitely be at the next one.

Ben Adrian

May 28, 2023, 1:26:13 PM5/28/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Super fun!
A good pile of Rivs. A number of other cool bikes. Even two e-bikes.
Great conversation, everyone was super positive. Total type 1 fun.

See you all at the next one!

Ben

Keith Paugh

May 28, 2023, 5:37:54 PM5/28/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
So sorry to have missed this!

Looks like it was a hoot.

Let plan another ride soon.

k.

On May 28, 2023, at 10:26 AM, Ben Adrian <bunny...@gmail.com> wrote:

Super fun!

Eric Marth

May 29, 2023, 8:16:19 AM5/29/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Screenshot 2023-05-29 at 8.14.21 AM.png

Patrick Moore

May 29, 2023, 3:00:45 PM5/29/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Good photos; thanks all for sharing. Eric: This one: was this Photoshop or .... graffiti??

And who did the (digital only?) poster? Well done. I think that the center illustration somewhat jars with the surroundings, but the surroundings are well done: combination of psychedelic and Art Nouveau?

On Mon, May 29, 2023 at 6:16 AM Eric Marth <eric...@gmail.com> wrote:
Screenshot 2023-05-29 at 8.14.21 AM.png

Houston Wilson

May 31, 2023, 5:48:21 PM5/31/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
It was awesome to ride with y'all!! Hopefully, this will be the first of many meet-ups! :) :)

Here's a google drive folder with some more photos!

tellyoutoday

Jun 7, 2023, 8:08:28 PM6/7/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
This was a great time, thanks for putting it together, Houston. Really nice meeting everyone!

Neale

Tony Lockhart

Jun 10, 2023, 1:13:35 AM6/10/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Anybody available for a group ride in July?

@Houston - Thanks for sharing the folder with photos.

Brian Cunningham

Jun 10, 2023, 9:40:14 AM6/10/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Most definitely down for a ride next month. Would be in favor of benefiting from some cooler coastal weather because I’m sure this mild weather will not last into July.

Last time was great fun. Thanks for putting it together, Houston, and thanks for documenting!

Brian  (the one who got a flat, err, gave you all a scenic break, in Griffith Park.)

Bryce Dwyer

Jun 10, 2023, 9:41:27 AM6/10/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I am! Saturday mornings are best for me but can swing a Friday now and then. There’s also July 3rd, a Monday that se folks may have off.

Keith Paugh

Jun 10, 2023, 12:42:19 PM6/10/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Definitely!
I was just thinking we should do this again this summer.
I've met some new, not-on-the-google-group L.A. Riv riders to add to the mix this next time too.
k.

Chris Buzzini

Jun 12, 2023, 1:34:54 PM6/12/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested. If the date happens to fall in the second half of the month, I'll do my best to be there! First one was a great time. Thanks again to Houston and everyone who came out.

Tony Lockhart

Jan 2, 2024, 11:47:39 AMJan 2
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey folks,
Anybody free for an early February meet up and ride? Ted D. is in town during the week of the 12th, so this seems like a great opportunity for a fun, super causal ride.

Sunday the 11th
Monday the 12th (state holiday)
Saturday the 17th

What do you think?

isaac ramos

Jan 2, 2024, 11:53:50 AMJan 2
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Sound great! Any of these dates work  for me

IR

Keith Paugh

Jan 2, 2024, 12:14:36 PMJan 2
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yes!
I was just thinking it was time for another LA ride.

I’d be available:
Monday the 12th
&
Saturday the 17th

Thanks for suggesting it,
k.

On Jan 2, 2024, at 9:53 AM, isaac ramos <ramo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Sound great! Any of these dates work  for me

Armand Kizirian

Jan 3, 2024, 12:04:04 AMJan 3
to RBW Owners Bunch
Would love to join! I vote for Saturday the 17th, weekend + no interference with potential valentines day events. Monday the 12th can do, but it's a Monday! (even if it is a holiday)

Brian Cunningham

Jan 3, 2024, 12:47:48 AMJan 3
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
It’s looking like Feb 17th is the winner so far. I work some Saturdays but am confident I should be able to schedule myself off that day. So far we’re mostly hearing from the Glendale/Pasadena/NELA contingency so we may consider a starting point in one of those neighborhoods. We can work out what sort of distance we want to take on.

Unless we get some folks strongly pushing other dates, let’s lock it in. I’m a City of LA worker and 2/19 is Presidents Day holiday for us but the 12th is a regular old work day.

Thanks,
Brian
Glendale, CA

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 2, 2024, at 9:04 PM, Armand Kizirian <kiziria...@gmail.com> wrote:

 Would love to join! I vote for Saturday the 17th, weekend + no interference with potential valentines day events. Monday the 12th can do, but it's a Monday! (even if it is a holiday)

Neale S.

Jan 3, 2024, 12:02:12 PMJan 3
to RBW Owners Bunch
17th is open for me!

dylan green

Jan 3, 2024, 2:45:26 PMJan 3
to RBW Owners Bunch
should be great!

Varun Raghavan

Jan 6, 2024, 2:08:55 PMJan 6
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'd love to join this year. I finally got my first Riv and would be great to meet more folks in LA. I'm tentatively in for 2/17 pending childcare for the day. I'm in the west part of the valley but it would be fun to explore Glendale/Pasadena/etc. on bike

Elliot Babin

Jan 6, 2024, 2:08:56 PMJan 6
to RBW Owners Bunch

17th sounds great!

Jerry Lynn

Jan 6, 2024, 2:09:03 PMJan 6
to RBW Owners Bunch
Saturday the 17th works best for me - but I'm flexible

Elliot Babin

Jan 6, 2024, 2:09:44 PMJan 6
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi group, long time reader first time poster. I'm an atlantis owner in West LA and would love to join up for a February ride. any of those dates work for me

Benjamin Adrian

Jan 6, 2024, 2:34:40 PMJan 6
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
 VARUN!!!

I’m still rockin’ the tires you sold me. It’ll be great to hang!

Ben

On Jan 6, 2024, at 11:08, Varun Raghavan <varun...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'd love to join this year. I finally got my first Riv and would be great to meet more folks in LA. I'm tentatively in for 2/17 pending childcare for the day. I'm in the west part of the valley but it would be fun to explore Glendale/Pasadena/etc. on bike

P W

Jan 6, 2024, 2:37:23 PMJan 6
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Can I come without a Riv, just to look at all ya’lls Rivs?

On Jan 6, 2024, at 11:09 AM, Elliot Babin <elliot...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi group, long time reader first time poster. I'm an atlantis owner in West LA and would love to join up for a February ride. any of those dates work for me

Dorothy C

Jan 6, 2024, 5:43:58 PMJan 6
to RBW Owners Bunch
I can make February 17th too. I am in Simi Valley but can drive to a meet up with a bike on the car.

Benjamin Adrian

Jan 6, 2024, 8:10:05 PMJan 6
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Totally! I’ll be on my Soma. Riv and Riv inspired bike ride ;)

Ben

On Jan 6, 2024, at 11:37, P W <philip....@gmail.com> wrote:

Can I come without a Riv, just to look at all ya’lls Rivs?

Tony Lockhart

Jan 6, 2024, 9:05:07 PMJan 6
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks like we’re going to have a great turnout. Anybody good at mapping out routes?

There’s an event at The Rose Bowl on the 17th, but I’m sure there’ll be parking near the Aquatic Center (for folks driving in). The Zoo/Autry lot will have plenty of parking as well. Both locations are right off the freeway.

Ted Durant

Jan 6, 2024, 9:49:44 PMJan 6
to RBW List
On Jan 6, 2024, at 9:05 PM, Tony Lockhart <alockh...@gmail.com> wrote:

Looks like we’re going to have a great turnout. Anybody good at mapping out routes?

There’s an event at The Rose Bowl on the 17th, but I’m sure there’ll be parking near the Aquatic Center (for folks driving in). The Zoo/Autry lot will have plenty of parking as well. Both locations are right off the freeway.

I can make the 17th, but it’s my last day that visit, and I would prefer to keep some time for my family. I will be in San Gabriel, so would prefer to ride in the San Gabriel valley vicinity.  I’ve had a few good rides in Cherry Canyon. The Cub House is a fun and funky bike shop in San Marino, near South Pasadena. They do builds for Rivendell, and it’s where West Coast Sam came to life. There is a fantastic pizza place across the street. Street parking seems to be generally available in the area, though I always bike there from my daughter’s place. The road ride to Cherry Canyon from there is nice, going across South Pas then up Arroyo to the Rose Bowl, then up into the hills along the amazing houses of Berkshire Ave. I tend to return back down Lida, past the ArtCenter College of Design. Lots and lots of up and down.

Just one option, but I could also get over to the Griffith Park area, and I’d always love to find new routes. I’ve also ridden some around Griffith Park and loved it.

Ted Durant
Milwaukee, WI USA

Heike Larson

Jan 7, 2024, 12:22:54 AMJan 7
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oh, so cool to see this happening! I’ve been mostly lurking here; got my Appaloosa last August and I ride it in Orange County. I’d love to join a ride and February 17th will probably work (family plans permitting). Question: How long/demanding will the ride be? I’m usually a solo rider and with my Appaloosa I’m more of a joy rider than a racer.

Armand Kizirian

Jan 7, 2024, 6:52:24 PMJan 7
to RBW Owners Bunch
Safe to say a Riv is not required to join the ride. I will definitely be inviting a few people who would thoroughly appreciate being surrounded by Rivendells, despite not owning one.

Tony, I used to organize routes/rides/tours for small and large groups. I'm in Santa Monica so I'm not as familiar with great places to ride on the east side. I think a jaunt through frogtown/la river/griffith park could be great. I'll be going to Glendale tomorrow and can stop by Allez LA and pick their brain some, especially if Kyle is there.

What kind of mileage are you thinking? Is this a morning meetup ride?

Let's doo thiiiiis. Good incentive for me to finish my Playtpus by then too :).

P W

Jan 7, 2024, 7:37:01 PMJan 7
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Meeting at Allez wouldn’t be a bad idea.

Riv dealers and great people, after all!

I’m sure they’d be happy to host. Plus Collage coffee is down the block.

Highland Park to South Pas, Rosebowl over to Cherry Canyon, down through the Sports Complex singletrack, ending with a beer and hot dog at Walt’s is never a bad time.

20-30miles. Bunch of road, bunch of dirt. Flowy, Riv-friendly single track and fire roads.

Or there’s Mt Washington - Elysian - Griffith. Although less fun.

Tony Lockhart

Jan 7, 2024, 11:09:36 PMJan 7
to RBW Owners Bunch
Just wondering what the fitness, technical ability, and comfort level of people are. While I've never taken my bike on single track, I love to try out some flowy curves and fire roads....and I'm quite happy to do 30+ miles on mixed terrain, especially if we get an early start. I'm super flexible.

How are others feeling? I'd rather defer to the group, in favor of getting more people to attend. The more, the merrier, IMO.

@Armand - Glad to hear that you'll be visiting Allez. Perhaps you can let us know if any good ideas or routes come up when you chat with Kyle. I think it would be great if we kept the ride on this side of town. I can't speak for others, but I'd welcome a future ride on the west side.

@Phil - Great idea for a route; you've got my vote! I know Ted had mentioned Cherry Canyon. Sign me up for flowy single track and a beer anyday!

galen....@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2024, 7:27:20 PMJan 8
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi all,
I'd like to join an LA Riv Ride. I'm on the westside, near Keith P. but I could bike, metro or drive to a starting point further east.
Looks like things are trending toward the 17th. I unfortunately can't make it that day—enjoy the ride.
If there's a pivot to the 11th/12th I could ride. Or maybe see some of you at the crash the marathon ride March 16?

Galen

Heike Larson

Jan 8, 2024, 8:04:07 PMJan 8
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm fine with 30+ miles and fire roads; not so sure about any kind of steep or technical single-track (not sure what you mean by flowy, Riv-friendly single-track, P.W.. I've done a limited amount of single-track with my mountain bike, and I've gotten off and walked on steep, rocky parts, and I haven't taken my Appaloosa on any of that type of trail. I know the bike can do it; I'm just not sure I can :)  Overall, though, the path and plan you suggest sounds fun, P.W.!

How early is early? I'm an early riser, and I have to drive in from South Orange County. Google says it will take me 1:30 hours to get to Allez.

Neale Stokes

Jan 8, 2024, 8:11:34 PMJan 8
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The sports complex singletrack isn’t wildly technical, and there’s at least one alternate way down (gravel/paved road from the shooting range) that ends at the same point at the actual Glendale sports complex - that could be an alternate route. I like the sound of 20-30 miles with some dirt and pavement, but above all would like to make sure everyone that’s interested is comfortable and has a good time!

Donzaemon

Jan 8, 2024, 8:12:41 PMJan 8
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sounds like a fun ride. Wish I was still local!

Armand Kizirian

Jan 11, 2024, 3:11:50 PMJan 11
to RBW Owners Bunch
I would recommend minimal singletrack to keep this ride as inclusive as possible. Not all Riv riders have extra wide tires / experience on dirt. (Not speaking for myself, I prefer dirt) Don't wanna scare anyone off! The more the merrier.

Wasn't able to visit AllezLA as they were closed on Tuesday. Will post ride beta here as I gather it from friends / perhaps a future visit.

Dorothy C

Jan 12, 2024, 2:00:39 PMJan 12
to RBW Owners Bunch
My son is planning to come too, he has a 55cm lime Platy from the first run

Tony Lockhart

Feb 10, 2024, 10:35:40 AMFeb 10
to RBW Owners Bunch
Calling all fair weather cyclists: Looks like 2 inches of rain in the forecast for Saturday the 17th. I'm happy to postpone or suffer through the rain, provided there's a hot coffee stop along the route.

How are other folks feeling? Wondering if it would be prudent to push the ride date out to March.

Brian Cunningham

Feb 10, 2024, 10:52:53 AMFeb 10
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
If we’re thinking Saturdays, I’m free for either 3/2 or 3/30, if that works for y’all.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 10, 2024, at 7:35 AM, Tony Lockhart <alockh...@gmail.com> wrote:

Calling all fair weather cyclists: Looks like 2 inches of rain in the forecast for Saturday the 17th. I'm happy to postpone or suffer through the rain, provided there's a hot coffee stop along the route.

Ted Durant

Feb 10, 2024, 5:02:35 PMFeb 10
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I just arrived in San Gabriel and am here until the 18th. I’m hoping to ride pretty much every day while here. Happy to meet up, but I don’t have a car so it will need to be riding distance. Shame about the forecast for next weekend, hopefully that will change!

Ted Durant
Milwaukee, WI

On Feb 10, 2024, at 7:52 AM, Brian Cunningham <thisisbria...@gmail.com> wrote:

If we’re thinking Saturdays, I’m free for either 3/2 or 3/30, if that works for y’all.

Keith Paugh

Feb 10, 2024, 6:05:10 PMFeb 10
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I’d be available any Saturday in March 👍
k.

On Feb 10, 2024, at 2:02 PM, Ted Durant <tedd...@gmail.com> wrote:

I just arrived in San Gabriel and am here until the 18th. I’m hoping to ride pretty much every day while here. Happy to meet up, but I don’t have a car so it will need to be riding distance. Shame about the forecast for next weekend, hopefully that will change!

Heike Larson

Feb 10, 2024, 6:13:06 PMFeb 10
to RBW Owners Bunch
Earlier in March is better for me - March 2 or March 16 would be best, but I can do March 9. Already have other outdoorsy plans for March 23rd (hiking Santiago Peak here in OC) and March 30 is spring break.

I hope we can find a time in early March - would love to ride with fellow Rivs (never have met another Riv rider in person yet!)

Armand Kizirian

Feb 11, 2024, 11:43:28 AMFeb 11
to RBW Owners Bunch
March 2nd would be best for me! Will be gone the following weeks in the month.

I HAVE been dialing in my rain-commuting setup, but it would be a shame to not enjoy a sunny day with all of you.

Dorothy C

Feb 13, 2024, 9:06:12 AMFeb 13
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks like the rain forecast for LA and Glendale has moved out a few days. I would prefer Feb 17th as I know my son can make that day. March 16th would definitely be a no go - I will have family in town from the UK.

Armand Kizirian

Feb 13, 2024, 7:25:38 PMFeb 13
to RBW Owners Bunch
So who's "in charge" here? Happy to help coordinate with Houston/Tony/whomever else to get this going.  This Saturday the 17th is now clear from rain as Dorothy has mentioned, with March 2nd showing rain (yes, quite far out for a forecast, but nevertheless, 5 days is much more accurate). Shall we stick with this Saturday?

Tony Lockhart

Feb 14, 2024, 1:29:13 AMFeb 14
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think we should stick with Saturday, especially since Ted's in town (San Gabriel area)......any why not offer an optional meetup on March 2nd for die hard members??

Arman, are you good with planning out routes? I vote you in charge! I'll admit that route planning is a weakness for me....haha, I just learned around Strava a month ago. I usually ride around aimlessly and spend time looking at the architecture and trees around town. I'm sure there are a ton of hangout spots in the map below, and hopefully a safe/casual route. What do you think? Sorry to put you on the spot!
Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 10.24.55 PM.png

Dorothy C

Feb 14, 2024, 8:43:16 AMFeb 14
to RBW Owners Bunch
Saturday sounds good Tony. Do the folks at AllezLA have any ideas for a route? I know Will Keating from Rivendell did a ride with them recently.

Armand Kizirian

Feb 14, 2024, 11:42:20 AMFeb 14
to RBW Owners Bunch
Saturday sounds good, I like the idea of doing another one on March 2nd as well if there is enough interest.

I tried stopping by AllezLA last time I was in the neighborhood but it was a Tuesday and they were closed. I'm good with setting routes but been a very long time since I've made one around the east side. I'll give them a ring / call some bike friends and see what I can put together. If I have the time I'll map it out on ridewithgps.

If anyone wants to be involved or has strong suggestions on route feel free to e-mail me/tony/houston in a separate chain.

Keith Paugh

Feb 14, 2024, 1:36:58 PMFeb 14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Armand!

Looking forward to it.
Keep us posted with time & place!
k.

On Feb 14, 2024, at 8:42 AM, Armand Kizirian <kiziria...@gmail.com> wrote:

Saturday sounds good, I like the idea of doing another one on March 2nd as well if there is enough interest.

Brian Cunningham

Feb 14, 2024, 3:37:13 PMFeb 14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!

With the caveat that I may not be able to make it this Saturday (my participation may depend on the start time), I have some ideas. If the plan is to meet up at Allez LA, and the plan is also to be strictly road, I enjoy riding east on York until it becomes Monterey Road in South Pas east of the 110, jogging north a block to the bike lane on El Centro, taking it 'til it ends, hanging a quick left and then immediate right on Mission, which gives you another bike lane and one that passes another Riv-friendly bike shop The Cub House. If you were to head back south to Monterey after that and head east you get the sort of smoothly paved roads that only a tiny and rich city like San Marino can manage. And then from there you can nearly get to Sierra Madre Blvd, which if you head north on, it will curve past Pasadena High and eventually lead you into Sierra Madre with a decent but gradual elevation change. Once you get to Sierra Madre you've got a good cafe stop at Syndicate. From my place in Glendale this is about a 34 mile round trip with about 1100 ft elevation gain but from Allez I'd guess closer to 25 miles. This is my default ride when I want to get some road miles in and the weather is mild enough that the coastal breezes are not a factor.

If the group wants some non-technical dirt there's always some Griffith Park fire roads we can do instead. Those turns I know better from visual memory than I could adequately describe here.

If the group wants to experience the LA River Bike Path, please be aware that it is closed north of Los Feliz Blvd this month for some repairs.

Whether or not I am able to pedal with y'all this Saturday, happy to mull it over.

Brian
mostly on an orange Roadini between Glendale (home) and Studio City (work)

Ted Durant

Feb 14, 2024, 4:17:35 PMFeb 14
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Wednesday, February 14, 2024 at 12:37:13 PM UTC-8 Brian Cunningham wrote:
[...]

I can confirm most of that, as I ride a similar loop frequently. Several of the roads are on Chuck Schmidt's monthly Velo Retro Rose Bowl ride. From Sierra Madre that ride comes back to the Rose Bowl via Paloma and Mountain. From the Rose Bowl, you can head south on Arroyo (a lovely ride!) and pick up Monterey/York back to Allez LA. I just did a quick RWGPS check and that route, including one lap of the Rose Bowl, is 43km/27mi, with a bit less than 1000' of climbing, none of it especially steep.

In addition to Syndicate in Sierra Madre, there is excellent pizza and a cafe across the street from Cub House.

I may be time limited, as it's my last day here and I shouldn't abandon my family entirely. I can cut it short, though, and not do the full loop.

If the group wants some non-technical dirt there's always some Griffith Park fire roads we can do instead. Those turns I know better from visual memory than I could adequately describe here.

I've only been there once, so can't help lay out a route. Anybody know the conditions of the roads after the rains?

If the group wants to experience the LA River Bike Path, please be aware that it is closed north of Los Feliz Blvd this month for some repairs.

 I'm not so big a fan of the river bike paths, other than a way to get from one part of the city to another. No shade, not much scenery. And yesterday I got screwed by one of them being closed unexpectedly. Had to hop a fence to get out and avoid backtracking a few miles.

Ted Durant

Brian Cunningham

Feb 14, 2024, 4:31:02 PMFeb 14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Funny you should mention Chuck's ride, Ted. I believe I met you a couple years ago when you happened upon the ride and I was on my (now former, a little too French fit) blue Rambouillet. The Sierra Madre loop I have developed borrows somewhat from that ride but subtracts some turn and the climb into Sierra Madre that I favor is longer and more gradual.

Ted Durant

Feb 14, 2024, 4:40:14 PMFeb 14
to RBW List
On Feb 14, 2024, at 1:30 PM, Brian Cunningham <thisisbria...@gmail.com> wrote:

Funny you should mention Chuck's ride, Ted. I believe I met you a couple years ago when you happened upon the ride and I was on my (now former, a little too French fit) blue Rambouillet. The Sierra Madre loop I have developed borrows somewhat from that ride but subtracts some turn and the climb into Sierra Madre that I favor is longer and more gradual.

Ha! That was you! Yup, I was on the maiden voyage of a Space Horse that I’d bought for my “when I’m in LA” bike. Nice enough bike, but now that I have a Sam Hillborne here, the Space Horse isn’t getting much love.

Ted Durant
Milwaukee, WI USA

Heike Larson

Feb 14, 2024, 6:39:16 PMFeb 14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm still up for a ride this Saturday--and will join whatever loop you LA locals come up with as long as there's not technical single-track and as long as it's 50 miles or less.

I'll be coming from OC with my Appaloosa on the back of my truck, so a start time after say 7:30 am would be best for me, but I'll get up early-early if needed to ride with everyone.

Standing by for someone to make the call and announce when and where we meet!

Tony Lockhart

Feb 15, 2024, 1:57:53 AMFeb 15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Happy to see that this is all coming together. Seems like a 7:45 to 8:00 roll out would be ideal, and the route possibilities above are prefect. Here's a screenshot of the map starting at Allez LA; folks driving in can find tons of parking on Meridian and Stradford.
Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 10.52.12 PM.png

Off topic, but anyone know if the Velo Retro rides are still happening? I remember coming across Chuck around 2008ish at Buster's Coffee shop in South Pas (currently called Jones Coffee Roasters). Super nice guy, and always on an amazing bike. In fact, seeing him ride in Birkenstocks resonated with me.

Ted Durant

Feb 15, 2024, 10:53:36 AMFeb 15
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Wednesday, February 14, 2024 at 10:57:53 PM UTC-8 Tony Lockhart wrote:
Happy to see that this is all coming together. Seems like a 7:45 to 8:00 roll out would be ideal, and the route possibilities above are prefect. Here's a screenshot of the map starting at Allez LA; folks driving in can find tons of parking on Meridian and Stradford.

How about 7:45-8:00 arrival at Allez LA, 8:15 rollout. Then I suggest we do the route the other direction from my previous suggestion, going up around the Rose Bowl then across to Sierra Madre, stop for coffee/tea/pastries in Sierra Madre, then return via the Cub House which, if we are reasonably relaxed about the pace, should be open by the time we are there. If that works for people, I will post a RideWithGPS route.

Off topic, but anyone know if the Velo Retro rides are still happening? I remember coming across Chuck around 2008ish at Buster's Coffee shop in South Pas (currently called Jones Coffee Roasters). Super nice guy, and always on an amazing bike. In fact, seeing him ride in Birkenstocks resonated with me.

Indeed the ride is still happening, first Sunday of every month, though alas poor Chuck hasn't been able to ride a bike for a while. My last meet up with him was in fact at Jones Coffee Roasters. He still likes to hang out there.

Ted Durant

Dorothy C

Feb 15, 2024, 12:20:48 PMFeb 15
to RBW Owners Bunch

Sounds great Ted

Armand Kizirian

Feb 15, 2024, 5:50:22 PMFeb 15
to RBW Owners Bunch
A ridewithgps route (or some functionally equivalent directions) would be fantastic Ted. I'm swamped with work and have to finish building my Platypus these next two evenings!

Ted Durant

Feb 15, 2024, 6:55:36 PMFeb 15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ride With GPS route:

Ted Durant

Heike Larson

Feb 15, 2024, 8:41:30 PMFeb 15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Excellent; thank you, Ted!

Look forward to riding with all of you on Saturday!
Heike (Appaloosa from OC)

Dorothy C

Feb 16, 2024, 9:00:50 AMFeb 16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I’m definitely coming. Will be on a 50cm Sergio Green Platy

Keith Paugh

Feb 16, 2024, 10:06:05 AMFeb 16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
7:45
Allez LA

See you there!
k.

On Feb 16, 2024, at 6:00 AM, Dorothy C <doroth...@gmail.com> wrote:

I’m definitely coming. Will be on a 50cm Sergio Green Platy
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/f17d3381-b688-4e34-9183-0f53cb1e966dn%40googlegroups.com.

Tony Lockhart

Feb 19, 2024, 7:50:41 PMFeb 19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi all,
Lovely riding with you this past Saturday. Big thumbs up to Ted or organizing the route and setting the pace. I was having such a great time chatting with nice people, looking at gorgeous bikes, and enjoying the weather that I forgot to take good pictures. Here's a quick photo dump from my Instagram archives...apologies for the poor framing:
syndicate1.jpg
L to R: Armand's brand spankin' new Platypus, Neale's Atlantis, Doris + Joshua's Platypii, Ted's Hillborne, and Keith's Hillborne. Sorry, Heike--can't believe I missed your bike!

cubhs1.jpg
One more shot at the Cub House parking lot.

Thanks to all for coming out and I'm looking forward to the next get together. Hoping March 2nd works out. Cheers!

Tony

Neale Stokes

Feb 20, 2024, 12:42:32 PMFeb 20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Same Tony! Glad we got out before this rain 🌧️

On Feb 19, 2024, at 4:50 PM, Tony Lockhart <alockh...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,
Lovely riding with you this past Saturday. Big thumbs up to Ted or organizing the route and setting the pace. I was having such a great time chatting with nice people, looking at gorgeous bikes, and enjoying the weather that I forgot to take good pictures. Here's a quick photo dump from my Instagram archives...apologies for the poor framing:
<syndicate1.jpg>
L to R: Armand's brand spankin' new Platypus, Neale's Atlantis, Doris + Joshua's Platypii, Ted's Hillborne, and Keith's Hillborne. Sorry, Heike--can't believe I missed your bike!

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/04b4ee20-ddd3-4cc1-be59-f680084098d9n%40googlegroups.com.
<syndicate1.jpg><cubhs1.jpg>

Ted Durant

Feb 20, 2024, 5:08:39 PMFeb 20
to RBW Owners Bunch
And the official photos, courtesy of Thibault at the Cub House ...
Rivendell - Bike Owners-2.jpg
Rivendell - Bike Owners.jpg
Message has been deleted
It is loading more messages.