58cm Quickbeam build

Andrew Stevens

Oct 19, 2020, 2:31:05 PM10/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Just finished this old Panasonic QB

58cm Boscos
Phil high flange front and rear to 36h Dyads and a Phil bb
Paul Neo-Retros and levers with salmon Kool-Stop pads (naturally)
48mm Supple Vitesse in the 50mm dimpled stays
White Industry dingle-cog
Nitto rack with Tall Acorn VO bag
and an old 2-nut CK headset that I'm going to replace with a gold IRD or an old Shimano 105 (I like contrast)

ATMO this bike doesnt get the same cultish praise as other Rivs, but is contextually the pinnacle of GPs unique design/fabrication, in league with the XOs and his early 650b bikes. Track bike spacing but with dimpled chainstays, proprietary dropouts to accommodate brake placement when changing gears mid-ride: he was solving problems no one knew we had. Granted, they were problems he created, but the reverse engineering is what makes some of his bikes so unique.

Regardless, I've wanted one of these since I was a 21 year old fixie kid in 2007, and truly for the first time ever, a bike lives up to all of the expectations I placed on it. It's found it's forever home.

Andrew in Austin
IMG_2994.JPG
IMG_2992.JPG

Paul Richardson

Oct 19, 2020, 3:18:04 PM10/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
that's a real beauty.
awesome build, great pics, and really enjoyed the write-up.
thanks for posting!!
paul, actively searching for a qb 10cm bigger than this one,
takoma park, md.

Patrick Moore

Oct 19, 2020, 5:38:50 PM10/19/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
Very nice. What gearing? And how much weight can you carry in that rando bag before the handling goes wonky?

Patrick Moore

Eamon Nordquist

Oct 19, 2020, 9:34:54 PM10/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I’m curious what decaleur you’re using. Does it mount directly to the stem, or sandwiched into the stack at the top of the headset?

Eamon
Seattle

milessc...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2020, 10:29:01 AM10/20/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
The timing of your post is pretty wild: I wanted to post about a Quickbeam I just acquired as well! I was very lucky to find this one through a friend of a friend etc, and bought it as a complete. Although I love piecing together bikes and making them my own, what I like about this one is the part selections (minus the saddle) are all artifacts from when the bike was sold. It is in immaculate condition.

The seller listed this as a 58 but I discovered quickly after it was delivered to me that it's actually a 56. It fits me, but more like a race bike would which is antithetical to Riv's philosophy and therefore feels a little sacrilegious. My obsessive nature is fixated on the notion that a 58 is a better size for me, but I think that for now I just need to let that go and enjoy the ride. That said, I hope you get years of enjoyment out of that 58!

From one new QB owner to another, cheers,
-Miles

IMG_1539.jpg

Andrew Stevens

Oct 20, 2020, 6:45:11 PM10/20/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Glad to get all the QB love on this thread!

Patrick: Its a WI 19/21t dingle-cog, and either a 42 or a 38 in the front. I'm running the 21 in the rear and can stay seated on all the climbs on my commute. Last night I fit +/-100oz of carbonated beverages in the bag with no wonkiness, but I think the bag volume would max out before the weight became an issue.

Eamon: I took a photo of the decaleur for you. A very simple one made for a custom Cooper (PDX) frame I inherited. It sandwiches in the headset.

Miles: It looks like we are about the same size! I would be happy to have the extra standover height with a 56, but I also wanted to set it up like a cruiser, so I went with the 58. Im sure you'll find one, and then you can have 1 in both sizes like I want

IMG_3012.jpeg

Miles

Oct 21, 2020, 2:26:50 AM10/21/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Out of curiosity, what’s your PBH and saddle height? I’m at around 87 but run my saddle around 76, and am wondering if I could fit a 60cm QB with the tire size maxed out.

Andrew Stevens

Oct 23, 2020, 11:05:42 AM10/23/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Miles,

My PBH is 88, and I think im running 75/76 saddle height. A 60cm QB would be tall but doable with 35s and fenders, but with 48s would be a bike I would be scared to ride anywhere other than the flattest smoothest pavement; I had a 62 double TT Joe for a bit and had to fall off the bike sideways to avoid a bruised pubic bone.

Nathan F

Oct 24, 2020, 10:57:02 PM10/24/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Beautiful quickbeams, everyone. I've always wanted one... unfortunately, I was 10 years old when they were produced. I have no doubt if Riv released this model without tinkering with it (especially in orange), they'd be able to sell at least a hundred through preorders.

Miles, I think I sort of know the person who helped you with that bike. You're in the bay area right? I'm a 56, and the orange/canti is my favorite model so you'd ever like to sell it I'll happily buy--name your price!

Nathan

Miles

Oct 26, 2020, 11:01:03 AM10/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey Nathan!

With some luck and the help of another board member, I might have my eyes on a 58, but I'll definitely keep you in mind!

I can verify what Andrew and others already know; that these bikes feel great to ride. I've always wanted a Panasonic or other Japanese-made steel track frame, and to have one with provisions for racks and wider tires only sweetens the deal.

- Miles