Albatross with Silver Thumbies

Ginz

Aug 29, 2022, 9:45:14 AM8/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have experience with Silver 1 shifters mounted INSIDE with the thumb pods on the Albatross?

Yesterday, I think I fell out of love with cork grips on the Albatross.  Over the years I've used the original channeled cork with Silver bar ends, then Misha's, then back to the originals that I channeled myself (which is a pain)....

The cork stuff is just so hard! My palms are starting to get sore.  It might be time for a change.

I'm thinking about:
Silver Thumb Pods with the Silver 1s using the INSIDE mount method
ESI Extra Chunky or perhaps Oury Lock-Ons

I might also try the Wave bar, but I have several other bikes set up similarly so... maybe that's just silly or maybe that's just the setup that works for me?!

I've used Microshift thumbs and Suntour XCD mounted on the top of mtb bars.  I'm just wondering if my thumbs are strong enough for the Silvers on the Albatross mounted inside.  Can my thumbs really pull the lever "up" and still find a gear in friction mode? It seems difficult...

Thanks for any thoughts!

Ginz

Garth

Aug 29, 2022, 10:53:33 AM8/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Like this Ginz ?  I've rode with like this for some 10 years. I can't speak to those shifters, only the position. Mine are ye ol' Suntour Power Shifters.
P1011672pushed.JPG

Lance Terry

Aug 29, 2022, 11:04:37 AM8/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey Ginz,
I've run albatross bars bars with the Silver 2s mounted inside and really like it. You end up shifting up with your thumbs and down partially with your finger around on the outside of the bar. Not sure if that explains it very well but I think you'd like it. In fact I'm currently running bar ends and as soon as I get some time I'm going to switch them back. I also run ESI super chunky's and really like the whole set up.

Ginz

Aug 29, 2022, 11:20:09 AM8/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Garth,

I'm thinking of thumbies down by the grip.

Ginz

Aug 29, 2022, 11:21:05 AM8/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks, I guess I'll give it a try.  I LOVE the idea of the cork grips and the shape, but they are just not working for me anymore and I need to make a change. Need more squish.

Lance Terry

Aug 29, 2022, 11:24:38 AM8/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I run mine ahead of the grips closer to the brake levers. You have to play with the positioning. I like the look of the cork grips but also got to where I needed some more cush. The super chunkys work really nicely. A bit of a pain to get on.

Ginz

Aug 29, 2022, 11:29:28 AM8/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I should also mention that I'm perfectly happy with the bar end shifters on the Albatross.  It's just that finding a grip that works with bar end shifters, other than channeled cork, is difficult.

I've seen the photos where ESI silicone or Oury has been stretched over the cable housing but ehhhhh... it seems a bit experimental.

lconley

Aug 29, 2022, 11:36:04 AM8/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Dia Compe makes these, for end mount reversed brake levers, but can be used for shifters. I have even mounted grips over them for even more diameter and cushion.
DC188-GRIP-BR-575x380.jpg

Laing

Ginz

Aug 29, 2022, 12:19:18 PM8/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Laing,

Very interesting!  Maybe those Dia Compe's covered with some ESI silicone tape or similar.

Are they hard plastic? Soft?

Thanks,
Ginz

lconley

Aug 29, 2022, 12:22:09 PM8/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Plastic, with a little give. Softer than cork anyway. I prefer them with some cushioning on top.

Laing

John Johnson

Aug 29, 2022, 12:59:38 PM8/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Ginz,

The nice thing is that if you're using the silver shifters (which are friction shifters), if you want to go back to the non-inside mount method, all you have to do is switch them!

cheers,

john

John Johnson

Aug 29, 2022, 12:59:52 PM8/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Cutting down Ourys works great (and is easy to do).20220823_112753.jpg