fresh new look for google groups?????

eddietheflay

Jun 22, 2020, 10:06:35 PM6/22/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
i am thinking newer may not be better. you?

Deacon Patrick

Jun 22, 2020, 10:27:14 PM6/22/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Agreed. When it comes to Groups, Google has lost the plot.

With abandon,
Patrick

Kieran J

Jun 22, 2020, 11:20:24 PM6/22/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I tried the new one and then immediately switched it back LOL.

KJ

Nick Payne

Jun 23, 2020, 1:24:25 AM6/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I had a brief look and switched back:

a) When you look at the group overview, there doesn't appear to be anything to indicate which threads have any new posts.

b) All the toolbar icons are pretty much identical. You have to hover the mouse over each one to see what it does.

Nick Payne

Jun 23, 2020, 8:07:38 AM6/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
And another additional dumbing down I came across in the new interface - the only option for adding an image to a message is to have the image already on your PC - no way to specify a URL for an image on the web.

Garth

Jun 25, 2020, 6:21:40 PM6/25/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
So I'm seeing a grey background and grey text for many replies unless you specify BLACK as I did here to illustrate the absurdity of grey on grey

It's like a Hotel that you can check in any time but you can never leave. Welcome to Hotel  Cali-reform-ation .

dougP

Jun 26, 2020, 12:13:18 AM6/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for checking this out.  Now I don't have to bother myself about it.  Sounds like another solution looking for a problem.  The Di2 of communications groups.

dougP

Nick Payne

Jul 12, 2020, 12:32:47 AM7/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think Google are deliberately trying to make the old groups interface less reliable, to make people switch to the new. I much prefer the old interface, but I'm finding that recently, when trying to load messages, I'm regularly getting "An error (#847) occurred while communicating with the server." I have to hit "Reload" one or more times to get messages to load correctly. If I switch to the new interface, I don't get these errors...

Nick

Roberta

Jul 12, 2020, 6:24:34 AM7/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Garth

You highlighted the word(s) and then choose black color for the text?

I found, and another member noted, that the reply to author button wasn’t available to be chosen .  That is, it was there, but greyed out.  For me, when I choose it, I got a message saying I didn’t have permissions.  I was signed into the forum.

Roberta

Steve Palincsar

Jul 12, 2020, 6:36:58 AM7/12/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

It would save a great deal of confusion if you specified exactly how you were accessing the list.  This "private reply" issue are not present if you view the list with a web browser.

--
Steve Palincsar
Alexandria, Virginia

Roberta

Jul 12, 2020, 7:25:11 AM7/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I was in my iPhone.

I know in the classic mode on iPhone, there is a switch to desktop option to be able to see reply to author button. In the new mode, I did see the button, but it was greyed out. I looked around for switch to desktop mode but didn’t see anything. I was signed into the group.

For now, I’m sticking with the classic. The posting list on the new version isn’t as useful or give as much information as the classic.

Joe Bernard

Jul 12, 2020, 1:50:30 PM7/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Chrome on Android. When I switch to Desktop I get the grayed out Reply To Author, when I switch back to Classic Groups it takes me back to the mobile version. I can no longer find one that restores a PM feature.