Shifters - UNO shifter

maxcr

Jun 5, 2023, 2:51:40 PM6/5/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Has anyone tried the UNO?

If you don't know what I'm talking about check out this video from Russ at The Path Less Pedaled. The shifter is a collaboration between Soma, DiaCompe and Russ.  It's a friction shifter that should take anything you throw at it including 11 or 12 speed, MTB or Road drivetrains.

I got to it because I'm considering a 1x set up on one of my bikes and I want maximum flexibility and compatibility to allow me to use a clutch and a SRAM RD if I choose to.

Also, I've been fighting a CX-70 FD paired with White Industries 2x9 setup on my Hunqapillar. No matter how much I adjust it or how much I trim, certain combinations (of the ones I actually use) always have some rub. I'm still trying to get my hands on an IRD Sub-C FD which might allow me to keep the current setup (I love the gearing I have with 42/24 chainrings and a 11-40 cassette) but I might want to switch things up.

Long story short I bit the bullet and got an UNO. It feels really solid and the ratchet sounds great. Also take a look, the thing is massive compared to a Silver2:

IMG_0495.jpeg

For my 1x I'm considering using a Shimano SLX M7000 11 Speed 11-40 cassette that I already have in my parts box. And I'll probably pair that with a SRAM GX 10-Speed RD.

The question for the group is: do I need to use an 11 speed chain given the 11 speed cassette?

Oh, and now I'm wondering, is the UNO just a fancy version of this Microshift shifter which I hadn't seen but just found on Crust's website?

Cheers,
Max in rainy Boston

PS. They are available here from Soma for a pretty penny if you want to get one.

Drew Fitchette

Jun 5, 2023, 6:12:15 PM6/5/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey Max,

I saw the video where Russ announced this, and was also curious as I've got an 11sp Cassette in my parts bin with no current home.

I do think you need an 11sp chain, as the chain width and cassette spacing work most natively together. You may be able to get away with a 10sp chain depending on the company, so if you've got one it could be worth a try.

Primary difference between the Microshift and the Uno is the ratchet. I've got the microshift 11sp shifter on my gevanalle brifters and it works fine in index but the friction setting is a little frustrating without the ratchet. That paired with the fact that the Uno looks classy makes me feel like you still made the right call... especially for a Riv.

Hope that's helpful!

- Drew

Stephanie A.

Jun 5, 2023, 7:43:41 PM6/5/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm looking forward to reading how you like it. The spouse wants more gears and the fastest way to do it is to get him a 10- or 11-speed cassette and a friction shifter since his Breezer Downtown EX came as a 1x8.

Luke Hendrickson

Jun 6, 2023, 12:20:28 AM6/6/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
You can use a 11s chain or a 12s chain if you so choose! Also, I work there (Merry/Soma) so feel free to hit me with questions.

lconley

Jun 6, 2023, 8:10:05 AM6/6/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
You likely cannot put a road 10, 11, or 12 speed cassette on an 8 speed hub (35.4mm), and 9 speed (36.5mm) is pretty iffy also. It is possible that the 8 speed cassette is on a wider hub with a spacer, but you need to check. Shimano 11 speed mountain cassettes fit 9 speed width hubs, so you can get at least 10 of the cogs on an 8 speed hub.

Just as a reference point, I shift an 11 speed Dura Ace cassette with a downtube Silver1 shifter with Dura Ace 9 speed derailleur. I kind of prefer the long lever movement so that I don't skip any of the closely spaced gears. I also prefer the looks of the Silver1 over the Silver2. I keep threatening to grind down a Silver2 and put a Rustines Gum Shifter Cover on it, for a little less throw without the bulk of the Silver2 shifter.

Laing

Steve

Jun 6, 2023, 9:00:06 AM6/6/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Luke, I've got a couple for you - questions, that is.

Will the Uno lever mount on a Shimano compatable Paul Thumbie ?    I'm thinking of replacing my current 11 speed Microshift. lever which I run mounted on the Thumbie.

Also, what is the length of the Uno lever measured from say the pivot point to the tip?

I'm very interested in trying the lever, but with its premium price I hesitate to make the investment without knowing a bit more info than what the Soma website provides.

Thanks!

Stephanie A.

Jun 6, 2023, 9:16:41 AM6/6/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
@Iconley--I was hoping I could swap the freehub to one that would fit an 11-speed cassette without changing the wheel's hub. I haven't taken it apart yet so I don't know what internals or measurements the current freehub has. I'm hoping it'll end up as less trouble than changing bb, cranks, and adding an fd for now.

Luke Hendrickson

Jun 6, 2023, 9:28:46 AM6/6/23
to RBW Owners Bunch

Steve – about to head into the office. I’ll have an answer for you on both fronts by this evening!

lconley

Jun 6, 2023, 10:44:50 AM6/6/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Dia Compe already makes the thumbie and downtube version of the shifter. The Uno is just the bar-end version. I tried unsuccessfully to mount the downtube version to a bar end pod a while back, but had to grind away too much of the pod.

Even if you can change the freehub, you would need to re-dish the wheel. Probably cheaper to change the wheel unless you build wheels yourself. Not a big deal for me, I change hubs and rims all the time - I build my own wheels.

Laing

Pat Smith

Jun 6, 2023, 10:53:35 AM6/6/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Laing - thanks for confirming what I already thought, this is just the bar end specific version of the Dia Compe 11s shifter already on market. Interesting either way! Still have a nice set of ENE shifters mounted to Paul thumbies waiting for the right build. Suppose It will be a 9s or less build unless I want to spend a bunch more for an 11s shifter.

Smitty in DC

Josiah Anderson

Jun 6, 2023, 12:23:07 PM6/6/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Uhh... I'm pretty certain that 8-9-10 speed Shimano/Sram freehub bodies are all the same width. It's 7 speed that is narrower. From 8 to 9 cogs and 9 to 10 they just decreased the spacing between cogs and didn't change the overall width. 7 to 8 and 10 to 11 is when the width changed. Mountain 11 speed cassettes will fit on an 8 speed freehub because of the dished largest cog, but not road 11 with a flat large cog.

Josiah Anderson
Usually in Missoula, MT

Patrick Moore

Jun 6, 2023, 12:56:05 PM6/6/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
A very small and fleeting tangent: Does anyone know the smallest Shimano Mountain dished cog, and whether it is always on a spider? And: Does Miche carry this? (Yes, I can and will look it up, but perhaps someone already knows.)

I wonder if with such a dished cog and 11 speed spacers I can build a custom 11-speed cassette to replace my current 10-speed 13-25. Either 12-25 or 13-28, depending on chainring, if one can get a 25 or 28 large dished cog. I expect not ....

Thanks.

Patrick Moore, who is thinking he might take it to 11 on the #1 Matthews.

On Tue, Jun 6, 2023 at 10:23 AM Josiah Anderson <anderso...@gmail.com> wrote:
...  7 to 8 and 10 to 11 is when the width changed. Mountain 11 speed cassettes will fit on an 8 speed freehub because of the dished largest cog, but not road 11 with a flat large cog.

Drew Saunders

Jun 6, 2023, 3:58:48 PM6/6/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, this is correct. Road Shimano/SRAM are 8-9-10, and 11 is a newer standard that should ship with a spacer to handle 8-9-10. That's what happened with my Velocity wheel that I just bought. I was on 9 speed, so I kept the spacer and moved my cassette from my (rim failed) older hub. Then, when I went to 11, I removed the spacer and made sure to keep it! I wonder if 8-9-10 cassettes are being sold with spacers yet? That would be nice.

Since I'm using a regular Ultegra 8/9/10 (sold as a 9 speed) long cage RD with my Silver shifter, all I had to do was back out the low set screw a bit and it's working great with the 11 speed cassette.

Anyway, the Uno is designed for clutch RDs that need a lot more pull.

lconley

Jun 6, 2023, 5:52:34 PM6/6/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Cassette widths per Sheldon Brown:
Shimano 8 speed - 35.4mm
Shimano 9 speed - 36.5mm
Shimano 10 speed - 37.2 mm
Not the same, but kind of depends on the depth of threads on the locknut and how close the outer cog gets to your frame. May work some of the time, may not some of the time. The 10 speed outer cog will be 1.8mm closer to the frame than the 8 speed - that is a full 7-8-9 speed cog width.
Shimano 7, 8, 9, and 10 speeds all have different cog spacings - 5.0, 4.8, 4.34, and 3.95 respectively.
Remember that it is easier to put a narrow cassette on a wide free hub than the other way around.

On the Shimano 11 speed mountain (11-40, 11-42, 11-46), the outer six cogs are on two spiders, 3 per spider. The inner two cogs overhang the spokes. I have the 11-46 on a Phil wood 9 speed cassette hub on my Gus. It might not work on a freehub with a larger flange.
11 speed mountain.JPG

Laing

lconley

Jun 6, 2023, 5:55:52 PM6/6/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
For Patrick:
11 speed mountain cont.JPG

Patrick Moore

Jun 6, 2023, 6:43:53 PM6/6/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Laing. I expected as much. All the innermost 11-t cog groups are far too big and have gaps far too wide for my use.

I'll stick with 10 -- which, really, is more than I need -- seeking to go to 11 is as much an exercise in academic perfection as a practical solution to any real problem.

Patrick Moore

abraham nussbaum

Jun 7, 2023, 8:06:17 PM6/7/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm definitely UNO-curious.

In the meantime, I've been running the Microshift 11 speed for over a year, in both friction and index mode. It's awesome. I run a 1 x 11 and it's been flawless after you dial in the fit bolt.

Stephanie A.

Jun 8, 2023, 11:08:17 AM6/8/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks, all, and sorry for the light thread hijack. I'm planning on installing the Deore M5100 11-51t cassette. Hopefully it works, but If I end up needing to buy a new wheel that's still easier (and cheaper, since parts for the spouse's bike have to be strong--6' 3" and 300+ lbs) than converting to a 2x.

Piaw Na

Jun 8, 2023, 11:58:03 AM6/8/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
11s MTB is the same spacing as 10s Road. You won't have any trouble. I've used it even on Duraace 7700 rear hubs from 2004!