What order do services start in

paul denton

Apr 19, 2019, 12:15:17 PM4/19/19
to RaspberryShake
Hi , I’m helping with installation of rshake 1d systems in high schools across Nepal with Shiba Subedi, the school we went to today we experienced many problems with the installation

1) after connecting to power and router we could not connect via web browser to rshake
2) eventually after much trying we managed to connect to rshake with ssh but no services seemed o be running ( no seedlink and no web server)
3) afternoon term a couple of hours the web server appeared and we could connect via browser , however the site only showed the top and bottom banners , nothing in between.

[my question is

A) when you connect via ssh is there any way of telling if the web server is running , this information does not appear on myshake.out
B) when you connect by ssh is there a way of telling if the rshake has decided to download an update ?
C) what order to the services start in (ie seedlink, webserver and data upload)
D) if you have more than one computer on the same subnet trying to access the rshake at the same time eg one by web browser to rs.local and one by ssh to IP address does this interfere
E) if your external internet connection is very slow will this prevent you from accessing the config page on a local subnet ?

Thanks.

Paul denton (pde...@bgs.ac.uk)

Ian Nesbitt

Apr 19, 2019, 1:41:52 PM4/19/19
to RaspberryShake
Hi Paul,

Can you attach the RS logs please? I'd like to look into this further.

Thanks,
Ian

richard boaz

Apr 19, 2019, 9:12:22 PM4/19/19
to raspber...@googlegroups.com
hi paul,

my answers in-line below

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 11:15 AM paul denton <paul.in....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi , I’m helping with installation of rshake 1d systems in high schools across Nepal with Shiba Subedi, the school we went to today we experienced many problems with the installation

1) after connecting to power and router we could not connect via web browser to rshake
2) eventually after much trying we managed to connect to rshake with ssh but no services seemed o be running ( no seedlink and no web server)
3) afternoon term a couple of hours the web server appeared and we could connect via browser , however the site only showed the top and bottom banners , nothing in between.

[my question is

A) when you connect via ssh is there any way of telling if the web server is running , this information does not appear on myshake.out
there are a couple of ways:
1) in the myshake.out, actually, at the bottom, when all is running you wll see this:

CONTAINER                                             STATUS              CREATED AT
registry.gitlab.com/rshake-public/rsh-data-consumer   Up 11 hours         2018-02-14 01:24:12 +0000 UTC
registry.gitlab.com/rshake-public/rsh-data-producer   Up 11 hours         2018-02-14 01:24:08 +0000 UTC
registry.gitlab.com/rshake-public/rsh-fe-config       Up 11 hours         2018-02-14 01:23:32 +0000 UTC

where the last line is what you're interested in.

2) the log file /opt/log/postboot.log will tell you if it has been started.

B) when you connect by ssh is there a way of telling if the rshake has decided to download an update ?

> cat /opt/log/upgrade.log  # will show the history of upgrade downloads

C) what order to the services start in (ie seedlink, webserver and data upload)
  1. webserver
  2. data-producer
    1. seedlink
    2. data-logger program
    3. data upload to server
  3. data-consumer
    1. helicorder plots
D) if you have more than one computer on the same subnet trying to  access the rshake at the same time eg one by web browser to rs.local and one by ssh to IP address does this interfere

no, this should not cause any problems.

E) if your external  internet connection is very slow will this prevent you from accessing the config page on a local subnet ?

no, a slow connection to the internet at large inteferes in no way with either LAN access or how the front-end configuration interface works.

it's possible there will be useful information in the log files regarding this: it looks, possibly, like the startup is getting hung up for some reason.  perhaps on the first startup it downloaded the upgrade, which maybe took a while.

cheers,

richard

Thanks.

Paul denton (pde...@bgs.ac.uk)

--
Some useful links:

Manual: http://manual.raspberryshake.org/
Do It YourSelf Page: http://raspberryshake.org/do-it-yourself
Shop: https://shop.raspberryshake.org/
Website: http://raspberryshake.org/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/raspishake/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/raspishake/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/raspishake/
Hashtag: #rasperryshake, @raspishake
DOI: https://doi.org/10.7914/SN/AM
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RaspberryShake" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/raspberryshake.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/raspberryshake/68fa6fc5-7206-422e-8026-296a7ac570ba%40googlegroups.com.

Shiba

Apr 19, 2019, 11:12:01 PM4/19/19
to RaspberryShake
Hi,

This is Shiba and I have attached the log file herewith.
logs.tar.gz

Shiba

Apr 19, 2019, 11:34:35 PM4/19/19
to RaspberryShake

and screenshot is here. So the problem is we did not see the panel.

On Friday, 19 April 2019 18:15:17 UTC+2, paul denton wrote:
screenshot.png

paul denton

Apr 20, 2019, 3:35:48 AM4/20/19
to RaspberryShake
So the situation now is that station RA5AB has failed to fully initialise both at the school and now also back at the hotel... it stays stuck on the starting webpage showing just banners but no content.
The next thing to try will be to try this station with one of the spare SD cards.

I am now heading back to UK and Shiba is staying in Nepal for next month or so t[o try and install rshake systems in a further 20 schools, I will remain in email contact as required but Shiba will be doing the troubleshooting and problem solving in the field.

Cheers Paul denton

Branden Christensen

Apr 20, 2019, 9:19:06 AM4/20/19
to RaspberryShake
Good morning Nepal!

Please send a photo of the microSD card that is being used in this unit that is failing to initialize.

Thank you.

Saludos,

Branden Christensen
CEO, Raspberry Shake, Social Media: @raspishake

"Vive a tu manera" - Herencia de Timbiquí

--
Some useful links:

Manual: http://manual.raspberryshake.org/
Do It YourSelf Page: http://raspberryshake.org/do-it-yourself
Shop: https://shop.raspberryshake.org/
Website: http://raspberryshake.org/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/raspishake/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/raspishake/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/raspishake/
Hashtag: #rasperryshake, @raspishake
DOI: https://doi.org/10.7914/SN/AM
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RaspberryShake" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/raspberryshake.

paul denton

Apr 20, 2019, 8:46:07 PM4/20/19
to raspber...@googlegroups.com
Situation now, we swapped the SD card for another one and the station appears to be working ok now.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "RaspberryShake" group.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/raspberryshake.

Shiba

Apr 21, 2019, 9:27:26 PM4/21/19
to RaspberryShake
Same problem again!

I couldn't configure the sensor. I don't know what is the problem.

I attached here with the photo of the SD card and screenshot.

Please, could you help me, as I'm here almost 2700 m altitude and it's very hard to come again for the installation.

20190422_070033.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 03.22.35.png

Branden Christensen

Apr 21, 2019, 9:35:31 PM4/21/19
to RaspberryShake
Good that is the MLC card.

We will need the log files.

Yours,

Branden Christensen
CEO, Raspberry Shake
raspberryshake.org (@raspishake)

--
Some useful links:

Manual: http://manual.raspberryshake.org/
Do It YourSelf Page: http://raspberryshake.org/do-it-yourself
Shop: https://shop.raspberryshake.org/
Website: http://raspberryshake.org/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/raspishake/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/raspishake/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/raspishake/
Hashtag: #rasperryshake, @raspishake
DOI: https://doi.org/10.7914/SN/AM
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RaspberryShake" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/raspberryshake.

Shiba

Apr 21, 2019, 10:23:00 PM4/21/19
to RaspberryShake
Branden,
Thanks,

How can I download the log file as the configuration page is not working?

Do you have team viewer?

Shiba

Apr 21, 2019, 10:29:15 PM4/21/19
to RaspberryShake
While looking at the micro SD, it is blinking and seems working.

But couldn't see the configuration page.

Branden Christensen

Apr 21, 2019, 10:34:07 PM4/21/19
to RaspberryShake
Shiba:

Good evening.

I don't have team viewer and I am about to go to bed. If you manage to send the log files tonight, perhaps Ian or Richard will have a look tomorrow in the morning (EST time). Everyone on the team is hoping your trip to Nepal is a big success!

My recommendation is to reburn the microSD card. Image and instructions can be found here: https://gitlab.com/raspberryShake-public/raspShake-SD-img/tree/master

Good luck Shiba!

From Panama,