Apologies

Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Sep 28, 2022, 1:46:17 AM9/28/22
to Randonneurs USA
I joined RUSA sometime around the late spring, early summer this year. Had a lot of hope of doing some amazing rides with some solos as well as meeting unique and wonderful people. Unfortunately, that all came to a screeching halt.

In May I had what my doctors labeled as a "mini stroke". First recommendation - no stress and, yes, that means no cycling "for awhile". Lots of all sorts of tests and pokes and jabs and "uhuhs" and "hmms". Nothing conrete developed. Until July.

Sometime around the 4th I ended up in the ER with some pretty severe chest pains. Again, lots of pokes and jabs. Same old routine except this time there was a nuclear stress test. Supposedly, it's 85% accurate. That chest pain that I had after the test which needed nitro to reduce? Nothing to worry about. Just acid reflux.

August 1. Eating lunch with my girlfriend. Massive chest pains (no, it wasn't the food). Couldn't stop it. Kept getting worse. Took the recommended 3 nitros. Didn't work. Headed for the ER. Lots of tests. Again. Great people in the Erlanger ER. Doctor comes into the room I'm in "good news and bad news. Good news - you're here. Bad news - you're having a heart attack."Cath lab. 100% blocked artery and two minor vessels blocked, as well. Those are too small to put a stent in so meds it is. Unless those don't work then it's get cracked open like a lobster.

Aug 2. Catheterization for insertion of a stent. Lots of brand new meds I've never heard of. BP was down to just under "normal". Everything went into the green, so to speak. Felt great.

Aug 3. Dishcharged and home. Feeling fantastic.

Aug 4. Rode my bike to the store and back without pushing hard. Just nice and easy. Felt wonderful.

I live on a hill near the base of Missionary Ridge. Climbing back home was intentionally slow and easy but, for the first time in several years, I wasn't huffing and puffing. It fell great.

I've been riding since. Not far like I used to ride. I'm tired all the time and am having difficulty getting motivated enough to even go buy groceries. Don't know why, it just is.

So, please don't think I joined RUSA just to be one of those who claimed membership and did nothing. I want to do a lot more. I just can't right now. I'm working on it and the results are coming but, they're so slow. It's frustrating at times. Angering at times. Mostly, it's depressing as hell.

I hope to recover to the point where I can ride with a few of you in the near future. I want that very much. But, I also want you all to know that I enjoy reading the posts in the group. And I think the magazine is simply fantastic. I look forward to meeting you in person one of these days.

To all of you, take care and keep pedalling.

Ric

Bill Gobie

Oct 8, 2022, 2:37:44 AM10/8/22
to Fortes Fortuna Juvat, Randonneurs USA

So, please don't think I joined RUSA just to be one of those who claimed membership and did nothing.

I hope no one actually said anything like this to you. I doubt anyone keeps score. Randonneuring is a big tent, and I like to think it includes people who are unable to ride for whatever reasons.

Bill

Geoff Hazel

Oct 8, 2022, 1:38:13 PM10/8/22
to Bill Gobie, Fortes Fortuna Juvat, Randonneurs USA
I agree totally with Bill.  There is a wide range of activity in RUSA. I am at the low end of KM and awards, but still enjoy what I am able to do.  Set your own goals and realize life sometimes gets in the way.  You do you and enjoy every KM you do ride.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Randonneurs USA" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/randonneurs-usa/CA%2Bsg%3DPq_yr9GR0eNiQOcZ8ORvUrfde792kFKGHeZWc%2BNQKTJwA%40mail.gmail.com.

Ibrahim Sargin

Oct 8, 2022, 4:51:42 PM10/8/22
to Geoff Hazel, Bill Gobie, Fortes Fortuna Juvat, Randonneurs USA
:D I've been trying to pull myself together to get my audax bike (and myself) ready for years to start audaxing again, so tend to be a ghost member on and off.

My last rides were around 2007 in the UK. They do seem generally to be hillier routes than in the UK, and often partly on unpaved roads, plus if you abandon, you won't have a local train station nearby to take you home unless it's between here and Sacramento, so never got back into it :)

cheers,
Ibs

--

Ibrahim Sargin
1 Seawall Dr

650 200 9284
ibrahi...@gmail.com

Mark Schoonover

Oct 8, 2022, 6:33:02 PM10/8/22
to Geoff Hazel, Bill Gobie, Fortes Fortuna Juvat, Randonneurs USA
Good to know I'm not alone. I've kept my RUSA subscription going even though I haven't ridden anything rando related in 2 years. Hope to return in 2023.

sha...@gmail.com

Oct 8, 2022, 7:36:31 PM10/8/22
to Mark Schoonover, Geoff Hazel, Bill Gobie, Fortes Fortuna Juvat, Randonneurs USA

I joined RUSA/SIR in 2016 (I think), and never did a single ride until August 2, 2020 (a 100km permanent).

I didn’t participate in an “in-person” ride until 10/31/2021.

I still haven’t done anything longer than a 200K.

And… I’ve been happily surprised how welcoming and friendly the really accomplished randonneurs are.

I read an article in the latest American Randonneur magazine that suggests one way to get involved is as a volunteer, and I am really intrigued by that.

  • Shaun