Lodging for PBP 2023 - Rambouillet

Stacy Kline

Jan 18, 2022, 11:23:58 AM1/18/22
to PBP_prep, San Francisco Randonneurs, sdrando, PCH Randos, randon subscribers
Hey everyone!

Fingers crossed that PBP 2023 is indeed in Rambouillet. It is such a beautiful example of a French medieval fortress village and it really heightens the French experience starting PBP in his historic locale.

Just wanted to let everyone know that you do not need to wait to make lodging reservations. Obviously AirBnB is an option, but so are the local hotels. If you email a hotel directly, they can make reservations for you prior to the opening of the normal online reservation window. Check out the Google map to find hotels near the start.

Greg Kline and I were able to get reservations at the Hotel Mercure Rambouillet Relays du Château, a beautiful hotel near the start with a full breakfast and very accommodating staff. They will store your bags during the ride so you do not need to reserve a room for the entire week. We stayed there in 2019 and could not have been more pleased! When I emailed, they had only had five other inquiries and plenty of room.

Good luck everyone, now we just need to qualify!

Best regards,
Stacy & Greg Kline

Eric Norris

Jan 18, 2022, 11:59:12 AM1/18/22
to Stacy Kline, PBP_prep, San Francisco Randonneurs, sdrando, PCH Randos, randon subscribers
I found a very nice place for my daughter and I to stay through Air BNB. We had a studio apartment with a private courtyard just off the town square, at a very reasonable price. I booked it for the entire duration of the ride; Sarah stayed there while I was out riding (which turned out to be just two days).

Some basic French will be helpful in dealing with your AirBNB hosts. Ours were very accommodating—even had a little cake waiting for us when we arrived.

--Eric Norris
campyo...@me.com
Insta: @CampyOnlyGuy
YouTube: YouTube.com/CampyOnlyGuy

LG

Jan 18, 2022, 5:05:35 PM1/18/22
to randon
I believe I read that a different start location had been chosen.

Stacy Kline

Jan 18, 2022, 11:15:14 PM1/18/22
to PBP_prep, San Francisco Randonneurs, sdrando, PCH Randos, randon subscribers
Putting a pin in this thread for clarity! 🤭 🥰

Many folks have emailed me about the date of the start of PBP 2023: Sunday, August 20, 2023
Many folks have emailed me about the dates Greg Kline & I reserved: Friday, August 18, 2023 - Friday, August 25, 2023

I shared the tip about making reservations in Rambouillet because, having completed Paris-Brest-Paris twice, I feel comfortable sharing that it was exceptionally less stressful to stay at a lodging that was close to the start. It is easy to reserve a room by emailing the hotel of your choice. It is easy to cancel a reservation since most hotels in France allow cancellations until close to the date of your reservation. You won't be a burden if you have to cancel for some reason because one of the other 7000 PBP cyclists will be thrilled to grab your reservation when it is released. Hotel Mercure seemed like PBP Central in 2019 and you will see many RUSA members who have already made reservations at this hotel for their home base for 2023!

Greg Kline & I recommend the Hôtel Mercure Rambouillet Relays du Château because, outside of the location which is literally next to the PBP ride start, the staff are extremely accommodating & endeavor to assist you in any way, the hotel stores your luggage during the ride, the breakfast is phenomenal, and the restaurant is outstanding! The rates for 2023 for two people are extremely reasonable:
  • 119€, breakfast included in classic room (2 people)
  • 149€, breakfast included in privilege room (2 people)
  • 169€, breakfast included in Junior Suite (2 people)
Good luck everyone and remember, you can search for this thread in the Google Group at any time!

Stacy Kline
On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 8:23 AM Stacy Kline <stacy...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Stacy Kline

Aug 14, 2022, 2:11:16 PM8/14/22
to PBP_prep, San Francisco Randonneurs, sdrando, PCH Randos, randon subscribers
Hey everyone!

I just got an email from our PCH Randos pal, Pete Eade. Pete wrote that the Hotel Mercure Rambouillet Relays du Château is now fully booked for PBP 2023. They do have a waitlist for cancellations.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a travel agent to help him get situated for PBP? He would also like to have a bag drop if anyone has a lead on that as well.

Greg and I have spent our entire randonneuring career (since November 2010) crossing paths with dear Pete. He is one of the oldest randonneurs in RUSA and will be riding PBP for the 2nd time at the tender age of 82! We are so proud to count this amazing man among our friends.

Only a year away now...so exciting!

Best regards,
Stacy & Greg Kline

chasthos

Aug 22, 2022, 10:29:35 AM8/22/22
to randon
FWIW, Just checked a bunch of other hotels in Rambouillet and not one had availability for PBP dates August 17 - August 20.