Charging Lights

Eric Norris

Nov 26, 2022, 10:54:49 AM11/26/22
to 'Jacques Bilinski' via randon
If you’re talking about charging your lights during PBP (at the controls, for instance), I would say that is an unequivocally bad idea. You’re going to have a hard time finding places to plug them in, and unless your lights charge very, very quickly you won’t have time to charge them unless you spend too much time at the controls.

Better option, if you insist on using rechargeable lights, is to bring several and leave the extras in a drop bag. Use light #1, switch out for Light #2 when you hit the bag stop on the outbound, and then switch to Light #3 when you return on the inbound.

Best choice is to use dynamo lights. No batteries!

--Eric Norris
campyo...@me.com
Insta: @CampyOnlyGuy
YouTube: YouTube.com/CampyOnlyGuy

Charles Coldwell

Nov 26, 2022, 11:54:10 AM11/26/22

On Nov 26, 2022, at 10:54 AM, 'Eric Norris' via randon <ran...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

If you’re talking about charging your lights during PBP (at the controls, for instance), I would say that is an unequivocally bad idea.

+1

External battery pack (in a handlebar bad, for example) might be an option.

--
Charles M. Coldwell, W1CMC
"Turn on, log in, tune out"

Ronald Long

Nov 26, 2022, 11:59:51 AM11/26/22
to Charles Coldwell, <seattlerando@googlegroups.com>, 'Jacques Bilinski' via randon
In this same context, have been wondering about charging other devices, as well as possibly switching to battery taillights.
Are there people who've used the Sinewave Cycles Revolution?
Is it a decent way to charge phone, GPS device, etc., used with a passthrough battery?

Eric Norris

Nov 26, 2022, 12:04:49 PM11/26/22
to Ronald Long, Charles Coldwell, <seattlerando@googlegroups.com>, 'Jacques Bilinski' via randon
Most battery powered taillights will run for days. No problem using them on PBP. If you’re worried, carry a second taillight with fresh batteries in it on the bike (or put it in a drop bag). Easier than changing batteries in the dark if they run out.

The solution that worked for me was to carry an external battery on the bike to charge my GPS and phone. I put two spare external batteries in my drop bag (clearly numbered them all, 1-2-3) and switched them out when I reached Loudeac on the the way out an back. That way, I always started the next third of the ride with a fresh external battery.

Yes, a Sinewave will work, but in my experience you don’t need continual power on PBP.

--Eric Norris
campyo...@me.com
Insta: @CampyOnlyGuy
YouTube: YouTube.com/CampyOnlyGuy

Jacques Bilinski

Nov 26, 2022, 12:26:56 PM11/26/22
to randon
Thanks Joe. It seems pretty much all modern USB chargers accept 110V-250V either 50hz or 60hz. Many modern power banks can now charge very rapidly with the right charger too. My concern is mainly with the availability of plugs on the ride.

I have a dynamo light and I've done PBP in the past using single use batteries, but I'm now mulling over various options. The technology is now such that during a couple hour rest you can pick up a lot of energy (at a rate of 18W or more per powerbank) so I'm looking at the option of enjoying more powerful lights. But it is also the case that the last thing one needs during PBP are additional stress and complications.

Bill Gobie

Nov 26, 2022, 12:53:02 PM11/26/22
to Jacques Bilinski, randon
Jacques, I suspect many other riders are thinking along the same lines as you, which is going to result in serious competition for charging access. I saw this volunteering on the Cascade 1400 this year. The organizer, Susan Otcenas, anticipated the demand and provided lots of power strips. But this was just for ~60 riders in one location at a time. Unless you have first-hand information that massive charging facilities will be provided on PBP I would not depend on devices that need recharging.

Bill

Jacques Bilinski

Nov 26, 2022, 1:04:44 PM11/26/22
to randon
Thanks Bill. That sounds like good advice. I'm leaning towards trying to be self sufficient with single use batteries at a fairly low light output, with the option of having more light if there is the opportunity to recharge during the ride.

Eric Peterson

Nov 26, 2022, 1:12:03 PM11/26/22
to ronal...@gmail.com, 'Jacques Bilinski' via randon, <seattlerando@googlegroups.com>, Charles Coldwell
I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s used a SineWave for charging phone and GPS during the day.
iPhone11 and Wahoo Elemnt Bolt.
In my case both have capacity to run through night.
Charging only during daylight since dyno cannot charge and power headlight at same time.
Have not used passthrough battery but interested to hear others’ experiences.
On side note it’s worth checking that your backup headlight can be charged while in use in case your headlight fails (happened to me in 2019).

One other plug for SineWave. On a rainy 600k both my USB battery and charger both fried due to wetness. But SineWave saved the day as I could still charge both phone and GPS after rain stopped next day.

Eric

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Seattle International Randonneurs" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/seattlerando/CANDJnBFNyAN-_mzMTtHq79Chg9vKVyGWrEQb%2BnLd6bTPdBr6jg%40mail.gmail.com.

Bill Gobie

Nov 26, 2022, 1:27:11 PM11/26/22
to peterso...@gmail.com, randon, ronal...@gmail.com
(Added randon back to the recipients)

"Charging only during daylight since dyno cannot charge and power headlight at same time."

I strenuously disagree. Perhaps it depends on your dynohub. I almost always power lights and gps simultaneously with no problem. Equipment:

Dynohubs: SON20 (as intended in a 20" wheel, now called the SONdelux) or SON28 in a large wheel.
Converter: Sinewave Revolution.
Lights: Schmidt E6 or B+M IQ Cyo with various wired tail lights.
GPS: Wahoo Roam or Bolt.

The only time I unplug the gps is slow climbing when the draw from the gps clearly dims the headlight.

Bill

Keith Kohan

Nov 26, 2022, 1:34:12 PM11/26/22
to Jacques Bilinski, Bill Gobie, randon
I agree with Bill.  In 2015 I used a battery powered light during PBP with the intent of charging at the controls.  I found that there are very few outlets available and a lot of other riders with the same plan.  I managed to get my lights charged but that was at the one free out I found at three different controls.  Lots of added anxiety I really didn't want or need.

And I was in the recumbent group and fast enough to stay well ahead of the crowds.

In 2011 I used a bike that had a hub generator and that worked very well.  In 2015 my new velomobile had no provision for a hub generator so the battery was the only option.  I had a spare, but I needed two spares to make it.  In 2023 I plan to again use batteries, but I'll have more than enough spares and no plan to charge them during the ride.

Keith Kohan

Jacques Bilinski

Nov 26, 2022, 2:35:54 PM11/26/22
to randon
Another related question:  If I have a device with USB-C input that uses QC (quick charge) charging that ups the input voltage from 5 volts to 9 volts or 12 volts after negotiating with a QC charger, does this automatically mean that I can simply feed 9V ( 3 x CR123 cells in series) raw voltage into the device with no communication with no risk of damaging the device?
- I can confirm that any device accepts 9V input with communication using a USB meter.
- On the web there are examples of ppl using 9V batteries to recharge their phones.
- On ebay there are lots of various USB plug to power jack adapters. So this is not a difficult hack. Its just a matter of soldering read and black wires.
- I purchased an Outbound Lighting Detour bike light and one of the engineers who designed it told me that I would cause no damage feeding under 12V into the light this way.
- So my question is can I do the same with my phone or another light after I have confirmed that the light does in fact accept 9V?

xander hensing

Nov 26, 2022, 3:34:35 PM11/26/22
to Eric Norris, 'Jacques Bilinski' via randon
Best option,

Ride mostly during daytime (84hours group) - Have 2 sets - recharge them at your hotel or B&B - I will spent there at least 7 hours (eating, showering and sleeping) on the way to Brest and back 😀

And enjoy the scenery. Why spent money on dynamo lights if you normally don't use it. The battery ones (USB recharge able) are also easy to change from bike to bike.

Kind Regards,

Xander

jinu...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2022, 4:52:10 PM11/27/22
to randon
While a dynamo is the best option, I've found that there are several lights with passthrough USB charging, meaning you can run the lights while they are charging.  The one I just picked up recently is this:

Detour Road Bike Light -- Outbound Lighting -- No wires!

I'll also carry my spare Rando 500 in case something goes wrong with the Outbound light.  The rando 500 is also passthrough chargable.

Really nice light with a good cutoff pattern and focused wide beam.  My rear light (The Garmin Varia light) is also passthrough chargable.  In that case though, I will likely carry several Cygolite Hotshots in order to be sure I have extra lights.

Jinuk

Eric Norris

Nov 27, 2022, 6:24:05 PM11/27/22
to jinu...@gmail.com, randon
Has anybody out there tried the “BYOB” headlight from Portland Design Works?

Looks like a good option for use with an external USB battery, but I wonder about how bright it is and what the beam pattern is like.

--Eric Norris
campyo...@me.com
Insta: @CampyOnlyGuy
YouTube: YouTube.com/CampyOnlyGuy

Robert Sexton

Nov 28, 2022, 8:15:29 AM11/28/22
to Eric Norris, 'Jacques Bilinski' via randon
Seconded.

Don't do it.  No ride plan should include "Plug in" anything.

Seriously, just don't.   You need to focus on the ride.    Plugging things into wall power is a big distraction and time suck.

I've successfully used multiple lights.   One non-obvious trick:  Put numbers on them and use them up in order.

- Robert

Robert Sexton

Russ Loomis

Nov 28, 2022, 8:30:41 AM11/28/22
to 'Jacques Bilinski' via randon, Charles Coldwell
I did a 7 month tour this year and kept my iPhone and Wahoo Roam fully charge for the entire trip using a Shimano DH-UR 705-3D dynamo hub with a Busch+Müller Luxos U headlamp. The phone and gps charged while using the lights for safety.

Russ
The not yet ready for prime time cyclist

Ken

Nov 28, 2022, 9:20:31 AM11/28/22
to randon

I don't believe that will automatically work.  USB-C runs a, well, pretty simple handshake to change the supplied voltage from 5v to (whatever) after both sink and source negotiate what can be supplied and what can be accepted.  It isn't as simple as just supplying 9v and hoping for the best.  Note that USB-C, last I looked, can provide up to 5A at 20V so in some cases, the negotiation also includes the cable properties since thin little cables can't handle 5A.

That said, I have no idea whether individual devices will just work if you send them something other than 5v but that isn't following the USB-C protocol so it would be good to check with the manufacturers before you try it.

On the other topic, whatever lighting solution you have, have a backup you can rely on!  On PBP2019, my Schmidt hub gave up the ghost 1h into the first night which took out my primary lighting solution (and also my Sinewave GPS charging solution!)  So I was relying on my backup, battery powered light.  This was a Dinotte battery powered light that I would normally run off 4, AA NiMH batteries.  Unfortunately, I didn't have enough of those to make it thru the ride but a quick stop at an E'Leclerc in Fougeres yielded 4, precharged ones that got me thru the ride.  I also had a few cache batteries along to keep the GPS and phone going, just in case.  I have subsequently hacked a USB cable so I can power the Dinotte from a cache battery so I just tossed a few of those into drop bags and I was good to go at LEL2022.  The capacity and cost of these has gone way up and way down as has the efficiency of LED lights so this is a very practical option, either as a primary or as a secondary.  If you're flying, be careful with these as they're not allowed in checked luggage and, while I don't know, I expect there are limits with how many you can take along in your carry-on.

    Ken

Jacques Bilinski

Nov 28, 2022, 10:23:38 AM11/28/22
to randon
Hi Ken,
I contacted Outward Lighting and got a reply from Tom there and this is what he wrote:

 Hey Jacques, two things:
1. Yes, you actually can feed it up to 12V and it will be totally fine and charge, but only because we use QC charge protocol and a buck converter to reduce the voltage on the charger, so I would NOT use that combination on random other USB devices because most will only allow 5V max and 6 can damage the IC.
2. Since you're just feeding raw voltage with no communication, you may not get max charging power, as the IC will try to negotiate for more current, I personally haven't tested Alkaline cells this way, but the CR123 would do pretty well I think.
Anyways, the light will survive just fine, so go nuts! Thanks Jacques
Tom Place
Co-Owner / Product Development / Warranty / Customer Service
Outbound Lighting
www.outboundlighting.com
<<<<<<<<<<<
 then I asked:
Tom,
Thanks for the reply.  Great news.
So 3 CR123 (9V) cell should work well too, right?
Jacques
and Tom replied:

Yep, I wouldn't push it with 4 of them, just to have a little buffer, but 3 will be fine. Cheers Jacques
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I also contacted Lupine who make a USB-C rechargeable and pass-thru capable light called the Mono. That one goes down to 1.5W and appears from info on the web to have a very tight beam so may be more suitable for randonneuring with limited power.  I got no reply which is somewhat expected.

In PBP 2019 I used an StVZO Cateye EL540 which when hooked up to 5V uses only .75W at the low setting and found it adequate. So with a tight beam you can get by with very little power.

For a backup light I'm looking at a Nitecore HU60 which has USB-C input and settings from very low power to very high power (18W). I'd be interested in knowing if that one can be powered by a 'dumb' voltage source with no communications. Nitecore is a larger Chinese company and I haven't tried asking them.

Jacques

Eric Nichols

Nov 28, 2022, 12:51:30 PM11/28/22
to randon
Getting back to the question about the Sinewave Cycles Reactor charger and its ability to charge other devices.

Yes, it can charge a GPS while the hub also powers your lights.  That's because a GPS draws relatively little power.  Charging a larger device, such as a cell phone or a USB battery pack, is a different story.  Those devices will take most/all of the power that the hub can produce, leaving little to none available to power your lights.  That's when you need to charge large devices by day, and run lights at night.

Also a note about charging speed. A generator hub produces nominally about 3 watts of power at 6 volts AC.  That's 0.5 amps. By comparison, that little wall charger that came with your iPhone produces about 1 amp.   This means a a Sinewave Reactor takes at least twice as long to charge your phone as that wall plug. For example, If it takes three hours to charge your phone from the wall, it will take at least 6 hours from the hub, assuming you ride continuously at a decent speed.  If you want to charge other devices at the same time, or stop occasionally, it will take even longer.

I have a Sinewave Reactor on my rando bike, but I almost never use it.  The reason is that I also carry a USB battery pack.  If I need to charge up a phone or a light, I'll use the USB battery pack first.  My primary lights are generator powered.  Other things get charged from the battery pack. The SineWave has become sort-of a "Plan C" in the event that the generator-powered light fails AND the backup battery lights need repeated charging, AND I deplete the USB battery pack through repeated charging of various devices.  It's a scenario that has never actually happened to me on a long brevet.

For me, the on-board chargers such as the Sinewave Reactor are better suited to extended off-the-grid tours and bikepacking races, rather than long brevets.  For 1200k or shorter brevets, a USB battery pack of 10000 to 20000 mAh will get you through the event with power to spare.  They are dirt cheap and reliable.

Eric

Charles Coldwell

Nov 28, 2022, 1:17:44 PM11/28/22
to randon
There’s a bottle generator specifically designed for charging larger devices on a bicycle

Haven’t tried it myself, so not an endorsement.

--
Charles M. Coldwell, W1CMC
"Turn on, log in, tune out"
Belmont, Massachusetts, New England (FN42jj)

Bill Gobie

Nov 28, 2022, 1:45:15 PM11/28/22
to Charles Coldwell, randon
The PedalCell's output claims are a bit misleading. Those of us who used to use twin halogen headlights know a SON dynohub will put out 6W if you are riding fast enough. And pedaling hard enough -- the rider's input was around 10 watts which was enough to notice. High output requires high input.

Bill

Eric Norris

Nov 28, 2022, 4:05:29 PM11/28/22
to gobie...@gmail.com, Charles Coldwell, randon
Is the PedalCell a more rugged version of the Velogical? I didn’t see any details on how the generator part works on their web site.

--Eric Norris
campyo...@me.com
Insta: @CampyOnlyGuy
YouTube: YouTube.com/CampyOnlyGuy

Pete

Nov 29, 2022, 4:14:42 PM11/29/22
to randon
 Best PBP strategy, overall, is to depend on doing nothing at a control, other than checking in. You and 7,999 of your closest cycling buds are all going to be competing for the resources at them.
   Food can be a half hour long line, or run out, bathrooms can be a half hour long line, and looking for an outlet, well, you get the idea. Heck, just getting from the control entrance, parking, and getting your card stamped will likely take longer than you expect! Depending on who's hauling your drop bag, they too can get lost, delayed, or take a while to find. The '84 hour start is no guarantee either. They may be out of food from the tail of the '90 hour start, for example.

  To the question at hand, I use a Schmidt hub with a sinewave Revolution and Edelux II headlamp. For the tail light, I use a tail light that uses AA cells, and have a backup mounted too. A pair of AA batteries lasts a season, so no worries about extra power for them. I also carry a 1W LED AA battery powered headlamp as backup. Rarely needed, but also makes a great flashlight. Easy to find batteries for, should I need to.

  Will the Schmidt/Sinewave run a GPS and run the headlight at the same time? Well, depends. Depends on which light, and which GPS.
  With a pass through battery and a Garmin 1000, yes it works OK, but with reduced light output. Still acceptable, but not full output. Without the pass through battery, and the headlight on, the Edge 1000 gets rather irritated, constantly switching between "charging" and "external power lost". Newer Garmins use less power, so may do better.I have no idea about other GPSes. Using a lipstick size pass through is plenty to run everything at the same time. Disconnected from the Sinewave for max headlight output, it provides an extra 10 running hours to the Edge 1000's internal battery with the back light on all the time. That's plenty to last all night, and by the next evening everything is fully charged from the Schmidt.

  If you haven't ridden PBP, here's a clip from '19 entering Loudeac:
  This may give you an idea. No shots from inside, but look at the parking area. I'll be adding more clips from '15 and '19 as I get the time.

Pete
PBP '95, '99, '03, '07, '11, '15, '19 and a few other rides...

E. S.

Nov 29, 2022, 7:55:05 PM11/29/22
to Pete, randon
having done the 84-hour start (highly recommended) in 2007, i can only say that i did not encounter lines for food or bathrooms, there was plenty of food, and the only thing that was somewhat of a problem at the controls were the absolutely trashed bathrooms.

elmar

ed bernasky

Nov 29, 2022, 8:34:38 PM11/29/22
to randon
Jacques, don't discount or overlook newer battery powered lights that use replaceable 21700 cells.  I have not decided whether to use a Fenix BCR26 or Lumintop B01 this year, both of which run 5-10+ hours depending on desired intensity on a single 5100ma 21700 cell.    A replacement cell weighs about 2 oz.   I absolutely would not plan to charge anything from a plug.  I carry a lightweight lipstick power bank for my navigation device.  The rear taillight uses replaceable AAA cells and I replace them once.  Completely self sufficient for the whole ride and pretty light.   If you have hotels arranged on the route, charging should not pose a problem but I personally would not want to rely on that although that is what I did on TABR for all batteries.  Some of the dorms at controls have power (and heat) but do you want to risk it?   Except Loudeac, I find controls are not so busy generally and still, I would not want to scrounge around for an outlet.   Who needs that honestly when about 10 oz in spare batteries is all I need to complete the ride.   I don't own one because I don't need the capacity, but a Nitecore NB10000 only weighs 5 oz and should be able to charge any device.  The NB20000 has twice that capacity.    Both have very high energy density and are favorites amongst long distance "thru hikers".

Jacques Bilinski

Nov 29, 2022, 8:57:18 PM11/29/22
to randon
Thanks Ed. The consensus seems to be not to rely on charging at controls, and that sounds like good advice. Yeah Nitecore makes good powerbanks. There's also the Nitecore NC10000 which actually contains two 21700 cells and has builtin white LEDs.

Pete Dusel

Nov 30, 2022, 7:55:28 AM11/30/22
to E. S., randon

Hi elmar,

  I didn't mean to imply that you would run into issues with the 84 hour start, only that you still can. Also, there were a LOT fewer riders in '07, and the drizzle seemed to thin the ranks. I did the 90 hour that edition, and had a wonderful time.

  Heck, in '15 they ran out of food at the pre-ride meal! As that was a ticketed, pre-purchased event, they knew exactly how many were coming! Not fun starting a PBP on a lightly loaded stomach....

  Many on every edition have a wonderful experience, regardless of their start time.

Pete

Greg

Nov 30, 2022, 1:34:12 PM11/30/22
to randon
I don't have a picture of it, but at the 2019 Quédillac dortoir there was a whole gaggle of cell phones plugged into a bunch of sockets on a shelf near the cot reservation / shower check-in table....kind of funny, but more opportunistic, probably, and not really a "strategy" imho.

I'll note that drop bags holding your charged external USB batteries can be part of a strategy for care & feeding of ride-time electronics! And while plans go awry, on-course hotels / B&Bs can reasonably be expected to have electrical sockets.

-Greg

Richard Stum ~ eoGEAR

Nov 30, 2022, 2:29:27 PM11/30/22
to ed bernasky, randon
Ed & others,

I am not familiar with the 21700 cells, but rather the rechargeable 18650 cells that Fenix uses. Have they switched? They are cheap since several brands make them. Just bring a handful of them pre-charged and leave some in your drop bag(s).

I have tried the Fenix bike-specific lights but found them to be lacking in intensity, compared to my trusty  Cygolite Turbo 740.  After my 740 was discontinued I started the search for a replacement. I first tested the Fenix bike-specific lights, but found their beam too broad. So I then tested several Fenix hand-held flashlights. At the end of day, in 2018, I settled on the Fenix UC30 flashlight, and mounted it to their quick-release handlebar mount (ALB-10). It is rated to 1000 lumens, but I rarely use it at full intensity. I also took a small piece of frosted stage lighting gel and glued it on the upper part of the light lens, so I would get a little more side light without sacrificing the distance lighting I need while sometimes descending at 25-30 MPH.

I look for the following:

1-Replaceable 18650 batteries (much cheaper than proprietary batteries found on many models)

2-A single LED source, which usually yields a narrower and brighter beam than 2 or 3 LEDs

3-Reasonably compact & lightweight design

As far as taillights go, I usually carry two at a time, mounted on my seat stays: a rechargeable Cygolite Hotshot Pro 150 or 200 lumen brightness, for daytime use, and then at night, I use something that uses AAA batteries so it  can be swapped out in the middle of a long night if needed, usually a Portland Design Works Radbot 1000.

Cheers,
Richard Stum
Living in the Mountains of Central Utah
Rap Sheet: Salt Lake Randonneurs RBA | Rando Richard—Blog | Strava | eoGEAR—Cycling Bags |

I a

ed bernasky

Dec 1, 2022, 2:50:42 PM12/1/22
to randon
Hi Richard.  The 18650 cell is a little smaller but pretty much the same.  The Fenix BCR26 can use either the 18650 with a provided spacer or 21700 straight into it.     I have a ton of Panasonic 3400 mah 18650 and a handful of 5100mah 21700 batteries.   I think four 18650 cells were more than enough in 2019 for me although I did sleep almost 20 hours, not riding too much at night.  Both are pretty cheap relative to proprietary packs as you indicate.

There are many German stvzo (Straßenverkehrs-Zulassungs-Ordn) compliant battery powered lights these days.   One that I did not try and wish I did was the Bumm and Muller IQ Space, according to internet accounts it can be powered with a passthru from a powerbank and it has many different power levels from 30 to 150 lux in 10 lux increments IIRC.  Riding in a pack, one could turn the power way down and then when taking a pull at the front, increase the power.  The optics look very good from youtube videos.  Kind of expensive but nothing like some other options such as the Supernova M99 B54 mini or the Lupine Sl variants.   There is a USA based light that has good reviews....OutwardBound Lighting or something like that.

Ronald Long

Dec 1, 2022, 4:41:53 PM12/1/22
to ed bernasky, randon
Reading the write up on their web site, the "marketing message" is that the light's battery can be used as a powerbank for other devices, rather than the powerbanks being able to feed power to the light, though it also sounds like it can be charged from a battery pack.

The adjustable light levels certainly sounds nice.

I have the  B&M IQ-X, which, at the time I bought it, was the brightest dynamo headlight available. It's quite nice.

ronald

POWER BANK MODE
In power bank mode, the energy stored in the headlight’s battery can
be used to charge other mobile devices (like smartphones or GPS
devices) via a USB connection. The fully charged headlight battery
can supply approx. 3000 mAh.

ed bernasky

Dec 1, 2022, 5:51:51 PM12/1/22
to randon
I only can say that I have read several forums where owners claim the Bumm and Muller IQ Space can be used with a powerbank.  Here is one such forum post.

https://www.bikeforums.net/21262620-post10.html

mickeg

Dec 3, 2022, 6:27:52 AM12/3/22
to randon
Regarding dyno powered charging and lights, most of my experience is from touring, not brevets.  I have never ridden PBP and at age 68, I do not have any such plans.  But I have several years of applicable experience charging up devices with a dynohub.

Hub, I use SP PV8 hubs.  From what I have seen all the hubs rated at 3 watt are about the same for output, some have a bit more drag than others.  Since they usually are designed to meet a German lighting standard, they usually are about the same.  That said, I think Shimano has a higher output hub, but have not seen it.

I have a Sinewave Revolution, dyno powered USB charger.  First used it for a month long tour in 2014.  Great charger, will put out a tiny amount of power while also operating lights, that said I mostly tour with dyno powered lights off.  I initially bought it for the waterproof rating as it is one of the most waterproof ones out there.  This charger will just barely meet all of my electric needs for touring (phone, GPS, battery taillights, headlamp (for my head in campsite), and camera).  Touring, I rarely use a headlamp on my bike.

I have a Luxos U light and charger on a couple bikes.  I find that it puts out less power than the Revolution.  If you are trying to keep a GPS charged and have lights at night, this might meet your needs but I have not tried that for a 1200k, so I can't state that as fact.  In part it would depend on how much power your GPS uses.  I find that the Luxos U will often charge devices faster than the internal pass through cache battery can be charged, so you may experience on and off charging.  That is not a problem but it does bother some people that suddenly notice that they are not getting a charge and start to worry.  I have not had any water ingress problems with my Luxox U, but this light has a reputation for poor waterproofing.  I keep a plastic bag in my handlebar bag in case I find myself in heavy rain.

I also have a Cycle2Charge V3 dyno powered USB charger.  A few months ago I took advantage of the strong US Dollar and bought one of these, I have only seen them for sale from Germany.  So far I have concluded that it puts out about 50 percent more power than my Sinewave and this will be the charger I take on my next bike tour for that reason.  This charger will not operate both lights and charge devices, it is designed to not start charging a device until you reach a speed where it can start putting out a reasonable amount of power and if your lights are turned on, that will not happen.  Thus, if your GPS needed a charge while you need your lights on, you would need to have a battery backup plan.  I have not yet had enough experience with this charger to comment on waterproofness, have only had it a couple months.  But so far I really like it.  Since it is not sold in USA, I included a link here if anyone is curious to know more.

I bought my Cycle2Charge from Amazon in Germany.  I used a credit card that does not charge a currency conversion fee, I told Amazon that my card uses Euros so Amazon charged my card in Euros.  It arrived in a couple weeks.

Pass through cache batteries.  Some lights and chargers come with that built in, such as the Luxos U, it will keep charging your GPS when you stop at a stop light.  The Sinewave and the Cycle2Charge lack a pass through cache battery.  For touring I use an external powerbank in my handlebar bag that has pass through capability.  I send the power from my USB charger into the battery pack.  Then draw power out of the battery pack to charge other devices.  Most power banks cannot be charged and also used to charge devices simultaneously, but some can, thus the phrase pass-through.  I use a Voltaic powerbank in my handlebar bag that has pass through capability, can be charged and discharged simultaneously.

On a different forum I described the lighting system on my rando bike if anyone is curious.  I also put my Sinewave on that bike.

I look at this forum about once a week, if there are questions for me, I might not get to it right away.