Heads up to Linux users about OpenGL

Kjetil Matheussen

Mar 12, 2020, 4:03:49 AM3/12/20
to radium-music-editor
If you get this message during startup:

"OpenGL crashed. There is something wrong with your computer. Radium
can not start. It might help to update the GFX driver."

Then there is actually something wrong with your computer. Most
likely, you have an Nvidia graphics dard, and you are using the
nouveau driver for it. The nouvea driver often crashes when trying to
run OpenGL programs, so it can not be used with Radium. To fix this
problem, go to http://www.nvidia.com and download the latest Linux
driver. Not only is the nvidia driver stable, it is also much faster
than the nouveau driver.

Maarten Lichtert

Mar 13, 2020, 7:54:27 PM3/13/20
to Radium Music Editor
Hi Kjetil

Thanks for the heads up!
I recieve this message on a debian unstable system, running the latest radium demo (5.9.98).
Unfortunately I don't use the nouveau drivers since I have an Amd 3400G apu. I only managed to boot the system well with the amdgpu drivers. Should I try the amdgpu PRO drivers or something else?
I did some basic OpenGL tests and didn't see any signs of trouble. Any clues on what to look for while chasing errors? My experience with OpenGL is rather limited.

I tested with the same debian release on an Intel core i7 4510U laptop on which it runs ok. So chances are the culprit is indeed the video driver.

Regards
border

Kjetil Matheussen

Mar 14, 2020, 5:06:55 AM3/14/20
to radium-music-editor
Hi Maarten,

I don't know the current driver situation for AMD, but upgrading the
GFX driver, or try a different GFX driver, sounds like the best thing
to try.
You can also try to run:

export QT_XCB_FORCE_SOFTWARE_OPENGL=1

But if this works, chances are that the editor will be very slow.

When you get that "OpenGL Crashed" message during startup, it means
that a program checking OpenGL crashed. This program only checks if
OpenGL can start:
https://github.com/kmatheussen/radium/blob/master/OpenGL/CheckOpenGL.cpp#L16

You can try to run this program directly:

"
bin/radium_check_opengl
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then echo OK; else echo FAIL; fi
"

Can you run glxgears?

Maarten Lichtert

Mar 14, 2020, 1:03:32 PM3/14/20
to Radium Music Editor
I tried all the above without any luck
The OpenGL-test returns OK.

glxgears runs without problems and glxinfo appears fine.

I will post the output of run_radium.sh and glxinfo if that helps.
But this bit seems relevant to me:

from glxinfo:
libGL: Can't open configuration file /etc/drirc: No such file or directory.
libGL: Can't open configuration file /home/border/.drirc: No such file or directory.
libGL: Can't open configuration file /etc/drirc: No such file or directory.
libGL: Can't open configuration file /home/border/.drirc: No such file or directory.
libGL: pci id for fd 4: 1002:15d8, driver radeonsi
libGL: MESA-LOADER: dlopen(/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_dri.so)
libGL: Can't open configuration file /etc/drirc: No such file or directory.
libGL: Can't open configuration file /home/border/.drirc: No such file or directory.
libGL: Can't open configuration file /etc/drirc: No such file or directory.
libGL: Can't open configuration file /home/border/.drirc: No such file or directory.
libGL: Can't open configuration file /etc/drirc: No such file or directory.
libGL: Can't open configuration file /home/border/.drirc: No such file or directory.
/usr/share/libdrm/amdgpu.ids version: 1.0.0
libGL: Using DRI3 for screen 0

from run_radium.sh:
WARN: radium_error_message timed out. Returning -1
libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to open radeonsi (search paths /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri:\$${ORIGIN}/dri:/usr/lib/dri)
libGL error: failed to load driver: radeonsi

libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to open radeonsi (search paths /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri:\$${ORIGIN}/dri:/usr/lib/dri)
libGL error: failed to load driver: radeonsi
libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to open swrast (search paths /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri:\$${ORIGIN}/dri:/usr/lib/dri)
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

Which seems odd to me, because glixinfo appears to be using the same driver radium is trying just fine?

Op zaterdag 14 maart 2020 10:06:55 UTC+1 schreef kjetil:
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to .

Kjetil Matheussen

Mar 14, 2020, 1:09:04 PM3/14/20
to radium-music-editor
That's really strange. What's the output of

bin/radium_check_opengl && echo OK || echo Failed

?
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/radium-music-editor/7947cdea-ef93-494f-9d6b-090131f97814%40googlegroups.com.

Maarten Lichtert

Mar 14, 2020, 2:13:29 PM3/14/20
to Radium Music Editor
Outputs just OK, nothing fails.

Kjetil Matheussen

Mar 16, 2020, 2:44:51 PM3/16/20
to radium-music-editor
Sorry, I forgot about this one.

Can you post the output of

ldd -r /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_dri.so

?

Maarten Lichtert

Mar 18, 2020, 9:20:00 AM3/18/20
to radium-mu...@googlegroups.com
No problem

I don;t know what I should be looking for, but hopefully it will get us a bit further!

Op ma 16 mrt. 2020 om 19:44 schreef Kjetil Matheussen <k.s.mat...@gmail.com>:
output.txt

Kjetil Matheussen

Mar 19, 2020, 4:16:01 AM3/19/20
to radium-music-editor
Thank you! Can you also post the output from the terminal when running this?
(make sure you have really cd-ed into the radium directory in the first step)

cd radium_64bit_linux-5.9.98

THIS_DIR="`pwd`"
XCB_LIB_DIR="$THIS_DIR"/bin/packages/libxcb-1.13/src/.libs

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$XCB_LIB_DIR"${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

unset QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME
unset QT_QPA_PLATFORM
unset QT_PLUGIN_PATH

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" ldd -r /usr/lib64/dri/radeonsi_dri.so

Maarten Lichtert

Mar 19, 2020, 5:35:34 AM3/19/20
to radium-mu...@googlegroups.com
There appears to be no /usr/lib64/dri/radeonsi_dri.so so the last line fails saying it does not exist ("ldd: /usr/lib64/dri/radeonsi_dri.so: Bestand of map bestaat niet")

But there is a /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_dri.so in the attachment is the output of LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" ldd -r /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_dri.so

The last lines of run_radium.sh output are the following:
libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to open radeonsi (search paths /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri:\$${ORIGIN}/dri:/usr/lib/dri)
libGL error: failed to load driver: radeonsi
libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to open radeonsi (search paths /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri:\$${ORIGIN}/dri:/usr/lib/dri)
libGL error: failed to load driver: radeonsi
libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to open swrast (search paths /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri:\$${ORIGIN}/dri:/usr/lib/dri)
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

Thanks!

Op do 19 mrt. 2020 om 09:16 schreef Kjetil Matheussen <k.s.mat...@gmail.com>:
output_ld_library_path.txt

Kjetil Matheussen

Mar 19, 2020, 6:48:58 AM3/19/20
to radium-music-editor
Yes, now we're getting closer. Most likely, it's caused by setting
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but it could also be caused by setting QT variables.

Can you try this only? (remember to start a new terminal first):

"
cd radium_64bit_linux-5.9.98

THIS_DIR="`pwd`"
XCB_LIB_DIR="$THIS_DIR"/bin/packages/libxcb-1.13/src/.libs
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$XCB_LIB_DIR"${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_dri.so
"

If this fails, which I'm over 80% sure that it will, then it's because
Radium includes it's own xcb libraries, which are incompatible with
something in your system.

Kjetil Matheussen

Mar 19, 2020, 6:51:40 AM3/19/20
to radium-music-editor
On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 11:48 AM Kjetil Matheussen
<k.s.mat...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, now we're getting closer. Most likely, it's caused by setting
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but it could also be caused by setting QT variables.
>
> Can you try this only? (remember to start a new terminal first):
>
> "
> cd radium_64bit_linux-5.9.98
>
> THIS_DIR="`pwd`"
> XCB_LIB_DIR="$THIS_DIR"/bin/packages/libxcb-1.13/src/.libs
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$XCB_LIB_DIR"${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_dri.so
> "

(Note that gmail automatically broke the two last lines. I'm pretty
sure it's impossible to make gmail stop breaking lines automatically)

Kjetil Matheussen

Mar 19, 2020, 6:52:37 AM3/19/20
to radium-music-editor
Oops, the last line should look like this (in one line):

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" ldd -r
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_dri.so

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 11:51 AM Kjetil Matheussen

Maarten Lichtert

Mar 19, 2020, 7:03:12 AM3/19/20
to radium-mu...@googlegroups.com
I tried all the lines, no errors,
but when I run ./run_radium.sh in the same terminal,
it still shows the same behaviour including the errors posted above.

Do you need any output?

Thanks

Kjetil Matheussen

Mar 19, 2020, 7:09:50 AM3/19/20
to radium-music-editor
On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 12:03 PM Maarten Lichtert <lich...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried all the lines, no errors,
> but when I run ./run_radium.sh in the same terminal,
> it still shows the same behaviour including the errors posted above.

That's surprising. Can you double-check that you were placed in the
correct directory (first step)?

cd radium_64bit_linux-5.9.98
THIS_DIR="`pwd`"
XCB_LIB_DIR="$THIS_DIR"/bin/packages/libxcb-1.13/src/.libs
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$XCB_LIB_DIR"${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" ldd -r
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_dri.so
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/radium-music-editor/CADCLKTU5mBQS8e%3Dz5h09R1nDTYdNBL6fGUfOxJKH%2B_cVbxjszg%40mail.gmail.com.

Kjetil Matheussen

Mar 19, 2020, 7:10:50 AM3/19/20
to radium-music-editor
(And again, please note that gmail broke the last line in two)

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 12:09 PM Kjetil Matheussen

Maarten Lichtert

Mar 19, 2020, 7:21:16 AM3/19/20
to radium-mu...@googlegroups.com
For what it's worth I'm in the radium_64bit_linux-5.9.98-demo directory, since I'm running the demo.
I mentioned the demo bit in the beginning, but didn't realise it might make a difference.

The attachment is the output of the last line of your instructions.

Op do 19 mrt. 2020 om 12:09 schreef Kjetil Matheussen <k.s.mat...@gmail.com>:
output_ld_library_path.txt

Maarten Lichtert

Mar 19, 2020, 7:22:34 AM3/19/20
to radium-mu...@googlegroups.com
I sent the bug report in case you can see something changed.

Kjetil Matheussen

Mar 19, 2020, 7:25:56 AM3/19/20
to radium-music-editor
Thank you! So then it's probably not libxcb that's the problem. Good
to know. (demo or not doesn't matter. :-))

Can you try this?

unset QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME
unset QT_QPA_PLATFORM
unset QT_PLUGIN_PATH

ldd -r /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_dri.so
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/radium-music-editor/CADCLKTWPzHutHhzHnT12iPBY2SxHnrSbv6ybmdgAwZSTBdGYig%40mail.gmail.com.

Kjetil Matheussen

Mar 19, 2020, 7:29:09 AM3/19/20
to radium-music-editor
Maarten, can you reply to me off-list?

Sorry about the noise here.

rosea.grammostola

Mar 19, 2020, 7:30:42 AM3/19/20
to radium-mu...@googlegroups.com
For me now problem, other peoples issues and solutions can be informative.