Newly assembled Radioberry test method

Tokio

Nov 21, 2020, 12:57:12 AM11/21/20
to Radioberry
Hi Group,

I've just assembled Radioberry beta 3. I've confirmed TCXO oscillation and its frequency by my oscilloscope. The voltage of 34.8MHz sinewave is 60 mV p-p, if I remember correctly.

I've not made a jumper 53-69 according to Johan's message.
== QUOTE ==
HARDWARE MODIFICATION: To make use of the new FIR filters which are working on double clock, reducing some FPGA resources a small hardware mod is required. An additonal clock on pin 53 of the FPGA must be provided by connecting this to pin 69 of the FPGA (connected to the CLKOUT1 of the AD9866). Using this clock a FPGA PLL circuit can be used to produce the right clock! (required for the beta 2, 3 PCB, i will include the change in beta 4)
The only addition you have to do is to place a wire... 53-69 on the beta4 this is solved.
== UNQUOTE ==

My questions are the following;

(1) I have only Pi3 Model B v1.2. Is there any simple test method to confirm the function of my Radioberry? I'm not sure at all my soldering technique.

(2) My FPGA is 10CL025, not 10CL016. With 10CL025 is  the above jumper between physical pin 53 and 69 the same?

Your any advice is very much welcome.

73,
Tokio
ja1cca

pa3gsb

Nov 21, 2020, 2:26:19 AM11/21/20
to Radioberry
Hi Tokio

Question 1:

Good idea to start step by step.

The loader tells succes or failure.

Long time ago i started this:

Question 2:

For both FPGA types the additional wire is required.

Hope this helps.

73 Johan
PA3GSB

Tokio

Nov 21, 2020, 4:08:31 AM11/21/20
to pa3gsb, Radioberry
Hi Johan,

Thank you for your message.

Based on your advice, I'll put a jumper. However this is a challenge for me. To be honest with you, I hand-soldered the FPGA of 144 pins for the first time.
I have a magnetic wire of 0.29 diameters. I'll thin both the ends of a wire, and jumper the two pins of FPGA.

As for the test, loading a firmware is a good one ( sudo ./loadFPGA CL025). I'll try it. Success or failure, it will be a crucial time for my soldering work.

73,
Tokio
ja1cca

Bob A. Booey

Nov 21, 2020, 7:08:26 AM11/21/20
to Tokio, Radioberry

The real soldering challenge (in my opinion) is the AD9866.  Hope your Radioberry works Tokio-san!

73,

Robert, WA2T

Tokio

Nov 21, 2020, 7:34:48 AM11/21/20
to Bob A. Booey, Radioberry
Hi Robert-san,

Yes, ADC soldering including TCXO have been a good experience for me.
Thank you for you kind words.

73,
Tokio
Ja1cca

Tokio

Nov 24, 2020, 6:59:14 PM11/24/20
to Radioberry
Hi Group,

According to the information given as well as help from a friend of mine,  I put a jumper between 53-69 of FPGA. The wire I use is 0.14 mm diameter magnet wire (UEW) that I bought at Akihabara, famous electric and parts town in Tokyo downtown.
Please look at the attached pictures.

I got from a local ham a release_2019.6.28.tar folder containing launch.sh and binaries including firmware.
Using Rpi3, I succeeded in running piHPSDR.
Finally, my first-hand-assembled board works fine.
Now I'm ready to buy a Rpi4 4 GB.

Thank you for the advice given to me.

73,
Tokio
ja1cca

2020年11月21日土曜日 21:34:48 UTC+9 Tokio:
IMG-0053.JPG
IMG-0052.JPG
Radioberry_vnc.PNG

Radioberry

Nov 25, 2020, 10:55:04 AM11/25/20
to Radioberry

Tokio

Your solder work looks fine.

Nice you did make the RB work!

The RPI-4 is indeed the new target.

Hope you have as much fun with running the RB as i do....

73 Johan
PA3GSB