Does anyone have a Radioberry for sale?

Steve Harman

Nov 29, 2021, 5:12:16 AM11/29/21
to Radioberry
Hi,

As the AliExpress seller(s) seem to have exhausted their stock (and I think I've asked them all!) - does anyone have a Radioberry they'd be willing to sell me please?

Or is there a group-buy planned to try and encourage another production run somewhere?

Many thanks,

Steve

Clifford Heath

Nov 29, 2021, 7:56:20 PM11/29/21
to Radioberry
I am currently in discussions with a Shenzhen manufacturer of SDRs (with whom I have worked for a few years now), and have suggested that they manufacture the Radioberry. They are wanting a clone for the Malahit, but I'm unwilling to violate the license of the original designers. The same company already manufactures Portapack and my enhanced HackRF design.

However, I suspect that the reason you can't find a Radioberry is that the FPGA is currently unobtainable. A similar issue is affecting the Portapack because the CPLD is unavailable.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the Cyclone FPGA needed by the Radioberry is actually in-stock anywhere?
If you can confirm that it is, I will be able to help bring a new budget (but quality) manufacturer up to speed on this design.

What follows is a bit of a thread hijack, for which I apologise in advance.

I have been thinking about working on the Radioberry design to:
* add a dual-conversion RF front-end to a Radioberry to extend coverage to 6GHz, and
* adding a touch-screen and battery to make it self-contained, and
* explore the possibility of changing the Radioberry to use the SMA (Secondary Memory Interface) on the RPi to make use of the high bandwidth that would enable - instead of relying on the FPGA demodulating all signals.

Your thoughts please?

Jeff Kashinsky

Nov 29, 2021, 8:39:12 PM11/29/21
to Radioberry
I would be interested in either the original or your enhanced version or both. You can never have too many SDRs. (5 and counting)

Paulh002

Nov 30, 2021, 4:34:38 AM11/30/21
to Jeff Kashinsky, Radioberry
Hi,

I also tried to find a source for the FPGA, even my colleagues in China cannot find it on TaoBao.
So we have to wait, although the FPGA of hermes light is sometimes available (Cyclone 4), but this does not fit on the PCB.
On the 2nd discussion about adding functionality to the PCB I am a bit reluctant. The beauty of the radioberry is its simplicity.
The only change I can imagine is a connector for I2C, and adding a power connector. Or maybe to have a pcb version for Arduino layout.
So you can mount it on a STM32 discovery board (Cheap solution for an embedded version).
Another option could be to make a pcb using the Raspberry PI Compute module.
My goal is to make an embedded version of the radioberry with my own software and add-on hardware, keeps me sane during all the lockdowns

73,
Paul

Op di 30 nov. 2021 om 02:39 schreef Jeff Kashinsky <jeffka...@gmail.com>:
IMG_20211130_102212.jpg

Clifford Heath

Nov 30, 2021, 4:51:13 AM11/30/21
to Paulh002, Jeff Kashinsky, Radioberry
On Tue, 30 Nov 2021, 20:34 Paulh002, <paul.hol...@gmail.com> wrote:
... although the FPGA of hermes light is sometimes available (Cyclone 4), but this does not fit on the PCB.

Modifying the PCB seems like a small challenge compared to finding and adapting the firmware to a suitable FPGA that is actually available.

Does such a device exist, e.g. from Lattice?

On the 2nd discussion about adding functionality to the PCB I am a bit reluctant. The beauty of the radioberry is its simplicity.

Everyone has their own goals and aesthetics. Some like modular systems with lots of interconnect, others like integration. We don't need to agree on this.

I'd like a battery powered portable unit with its own screen.

Clifford Heath

On Monday, November 29, 2021 at 9:12:16 PM UTC+11 Steve Harman wrote:
Hi,

As the AliExpress seller(s) seem to have exhausted their stock (and I think I've asked them all!) - does anyone have a Radioberry they'd be willing to sell me please?

Or is there a group-buy planned to try and encourage another production run somewhere?

Many thanks,

Steve

rent...@comcast.net

Nov 30, 2021, 8:33:50 AM11/30/21
to Radioberry
Hi Group,

My impression is that the designer (Johan), and the designer of the SDR it is based in large part on are hesitant to do forced HW redesign because of parts shortages.  I don't blame them.  Maybe they will feel differently (I suspect they will) if it becomes apparent that these key parts will never be available again, but probably not until then.

73,

Robert, WA2T

Steli

Nov 30, 2021, 4:32:52 PM11/30/21
to rent...@comcast.net, Radioberry

softerh...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2021, 9:07:58 PM11/30/21
to Radioberry
Hi Paul, Clifford and Group,

On the Hermes-Lite group we are currently discussing some future projects. One of the ideas is for a Hermes-Nano which is very similar to the radioberry concept. We are also considering porting to Efinix FPGAs which are available and less expensive for more FPGA resources. Since the radioberry is derived from the HL and shares the same gateware base, it could also benefit from a port to an Efinix FPGA.

You can find the discussion and project proposal notes here:
https://groups.google.com/g/hermes-lite/c/JTdxzmjO_zI/m/Iz9zoYLUBAAJ

We are running a survey which anyone can participate in:

The Cyclone IV used on the HL2 only differs from the Cyclone 10 used on the radioberry by a few pins. They both use the LQFP144 package. It wouldn't be that hard to use the Cyclone IV. In fact, early versions of the radioberry did use this part. But the Cyclone IV parts are also hard to find from reputable sources right now.

73,

Steve
kf7o

jinze peng

Dec 8, 2021, 6:14:41 AM12/8/21
to Radioberry

Radioberry has appeared on AliExpress again, which can be purchased, and it seems that the quality is better than the previous green PCB
111.png

Clifford Heath

Dec 8, 2021, 7:04:02 AM12/8/21
to jinze peng, Radioberry
I'd just like to point out that you don't get a Radioberry for $45. That's the price for a 4.3" display. The RadioBerry is $US150.
<https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003647280182.html>

This sort of misleading practise is rife across AliExpress. They list a HackRF for $10, but that's just a cheap antenna.
It's all about getting into the search results for folk to select "Price" or "Best Match" instead of "Orders".

Hint: always sort by Orders. More satisfied customers means you're more likely to be satisfied.

Clifford Heath.

> On 8 Dec 2021, at 10:14 pm, jinze peng <fei6...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Radioberry has appeared on AliExpress again, which can be purchased, and it seems that the quality is better than the previous green PCB
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/radioberry/6cbd1b67-2e00-435d-acac-c09c449aa53an%40googlegroups.com.
> <111.png>

rent...@comcast.net

Dec 8, 2021, 2:27:59 PM12/8/21
to Radioberry
The two listings are for $150 and $155.  Seems a little pricey to me but what do I know.  The other thing that jumps out at me is the black PCB.  Black soldermask has sometimes been known to cause issues with RF, most likely because of carbon which is conductive.

73,

Robert, WA2T

jinze peng

Dec 8, 2021, 10:03:41 PM12/8/21
to Radioberry

I asked the seller and found that the price increase was due to the fact that the price of FPGA core components had risen several times and was even unavailable. Compared to the price of Hermes lite, it is still acceptable