radioberry driver does not load correct on bullseye

Paulh002

Jan 29, 2022, 5:25:39 AM1/29/22
to Radioberry
I don't know it this only happens with me, but i have switched to bullseye OS and when the pi reboots somehow the radioberry driver / or gateware is not correctly loaded.
There is no error in the driver messages (using dmesg). After a sudo modprobe -r radioberry and a sudo modprobe radioberry all works perfectly fine.
But the radioberry works perfecly fine!

contour.jpg

Flavio Pohlmann

Jan 31, 2022, 9:53:32 AM1/31/22
to Radioberry, Paulh002
Hi,

It happens to me too, I have no idea why it happens. I have to stop the service and load it back again, then it works.

Flavio

I don't know it this only happens with me, but i have switched to bullseye OS and when the pi reboots somehow the radioberry driver / or gateware is not correctly loaded.
There is no error in the driver messages (using dmesg). After a sudo modprobe -r radioberry and a sudo modprobe radioberry all works perfectly fine.
But the radioberry works perfecly fine!

Paulh002

Feb 1, 2022, 5:03:08 AM2/1/22
to Flavio Pohlmann, Radioberry
I have checked the logging of the device driver, but see no errors during boot.
There is an alternative way to load the driver using /etc/modules-load.d/modules.conf
But that has the same result for me

Paul

Brad Jeffries

Mar 12, 2022, 9:31:41 AM3/12/22
to Radioberry
I had a setup running Buster 32b and tried it out using Bullseye 64.  I kept getting very intermittent loading and sometimes PI HDSDR would work for a while then the spectrum would totally fill with noise.  If I switched cards and went back to Buster 32 it would always work.  My issue turned out to be a 90 pin extension that I had plugged in to turn the radio berry up 90 degrees.  It more than doubled the GPIO header length.  My theory is something about the timing when the kernel tries to load the gateware is slightly different between the two and I was on the edge before with this funky connector I tacked on.    I mention this because I was pulling my hair out thinking I was doing something wrong in the setup / install but it was actually a signal integrity issue between the pi and the board.  I have put the radio berry back parallel to the pi (although there is an header extension on the case) and all is working.

73
Brad

RadioBear

Sep 29, 2022, 8:10:36 AM9/29/22
to Radioberry
Hi OM's

I need help..I had a working Radioberry (CL016 FPGA with RPI4). Pi HPSDR working too. Then I did a misstep, I did update and upgrade on RPI....after that it did not work again.
So I installed new image (bullseye) to SD card, and followed the installation instructions for radioberry via scripts. I tried master and latest release.
I have the problem, that the driver will not be loaded with following feedback:

Radioberry firmware installed.
Installing radioberry service ...
Radioberry service installed.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/radioberry.service → /etc/systemd/system/radioberry.service.
Job for radioberry.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status radioberry.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

Radioberry software is installed!
Have fun using the SDR Radioberry

73 Johan PA3GSB

 Feedback by systemctl status radioberry.service:

Sep 29 13:56:40 Radioberry systemd[1]: radioberry.service: Control process exit>
░░ Subject: Unit process exited
░░ Defined-By: systemd
░░ Support: https://www.debian.org/support
░░
░░ An ExecStart= process belonging to unit radioberry.service has exited.
░░
░░ The process' exit code is 'exited' and its exit status is 217.

I could not find any solution in previous posts in the forum.

=> Is Radioberry compatible with bullseye, or do I have to switch to a earlier version of the OS? (if yes, what would be recommended)?

=> Or is there a fix available for this?

Thanks for reply!

73's - Sven

Yado-san

Oct 1, 2022, 7:39:13 PM10/1/22
to Radioberry
Hi Sven,

=> Is Radioberry compatible with bullseye, or do I have to switch to a earlier version of the OS?

 Yes, i am using bullseye-OS on RPi4 now.
  ---
 $ lsb_release -a
   bullseye
  ---
 Call                                  Locator      Gateware    Driver   Firmware       FPGA      Started
 JG1TWP RB2-TXRX   PM95RR    73.3               0.94     2022.01.24    CL016    2022-08-16 18:10:10
 ---

=> Or is there a fix available for this?

 need to change  repo of the "pihpsdr_install.sh"
 > line63:  git clone https://github.com/pa3gsb/pihpsdr.git

   Johan wrote:  2022/02/18 23:33:29
   Pushed the mod to the fork repo
   https://github.com/pa3gsb/pihpsdr
   i have created a pull request.

hope this help
Yado-san, jg1twp
2022年9月29日木曜日 21:10:36 UTC+9 RadioBear:

RadioBear

Oct 2, 2022, 4:54:02 AM10/2/22
to Radioberry
Hi OM's

Solved!

I I tried to setup multiple times but it did not work. Small detail: During installation of RPI OS, I created not the standard user "pi" I took my name...

I do not see any fix references to ""pi" in the installation script for radioberry

But I give it a try: Again installation of radioberry but driver with standard user ""pi" on my Raspberry

=> After this radioberry service starts up properly...

I don't know why, but seems der is a dependence to user "pi"

So if you have same problem:
=> Try to use standard user "pi"

By the way:
The installation script for PiHPSDR has direct references to user "pi" in directory structure. So if you want to use this script you must use standard user "pi" anyway, or modify the script.