Posts that have disappeared

Nick Reynolds

Sep 5, 2014, 9:35:35 AM9/5/14
to rad...@googlegroups.com
I have lost a few days' worth of posts which are no longer on the Radio3 homepage, my linkblog homepage or my RSS feed - will they return or are they lost for good?
Not a problem - as I understand the Radio3 software is still in its infancy - just curious, that's all.
Many thanks,
Nick

Dave Winer

Sep 5, 2014, 9:58:38 AM9/5/14
to rad...@googlegroups.com
I saw this happen with someone else, and I don't know what the source of the problem is.

I also appreciate the understanding. Radio3 is very new, and the way it stores its data is even newer. ;-)

Dave

--
Radio3 howto: http://radio3.smallpict.com/2014/09/01/gettingStartedWithRadio3.html
How to ask for help: http://scripting.com/2014/03/19/howToAskForHelpWithSoftware.html

Michael Lopez

Sep 5, 2014, 10:41:48 AM9/5/14
to rad...@googlegroups.com, da...@smallpicture.com
I think it has to do with the dates and/or stemming with the bug from a couple days ago (or the one I put in yesterday) where the whole feed wasn't displaying maybe. All the history.json files are there still for each individual day. If the home feed and xml feed get their info from those they should be able to be reconstituted when the bugs are worked out.

Thx,

mal

Dave Winer

Sep 5, 2014, 11:13:53 AM9/5/14
to Michael Lopez, rad...@googlegroups.com
There's a prefs.json file stored in a private place that can't be accessed over the web which is where your history table is stored. The json files, which are public, are generated from the history table, not vice versa.

What I think probably is happening is there is a circumstance where it fails at reading the table, and it doesn't prevent you from editing the empty table, which is then saved.

This method of doing storage is new, and bugs like this remain to be shaken out, clearly.

But once shaken out they will work for all the apps I'm doing.

Dave

Michael Lopez

Sep 5, 2014, 11:39:32 AM9/5/14
to rad...@googlegroups.com, mala...@gmail.com, da...@smallpicture.com
So I've posted from four seperate devices... I'm sure that doesn't help.?.?. :)

Thx,

mal

Christian Dadswell

Sep 5, 2014, 3:35:06 PM9/5/14
to rad...@googlegroups.com
I had this happen today as well.

I've only got posts from the last 2 days now.

Anything I can do to help debug?

Michael Lopez

Sep 6, 2014, 11:26:26 AM9/6/14
to rad...@googlegroups.com, mala...@gmail.com, da...@smallpicture.com
What if every instance of every browser you run radio3 on were a subscriber to a pubsub blog of the feed... That way they would all update whenever one of them posted and their local storage files could stay in sync?

mal

Scott Hanson

Sep 10, 2014, 9:25:10 AM9/10/14
to rad...@googlegroups.com
I just had a post disappear. I had a couple of Radio3 tabs open in Chrome (OSX) from last night. This morning I posted once from one tab, then 10 minutes later submitted a second post from the other tab. The first post is now gone. No big deal, just interesting. I'll see if I can replicate it. :-)

Dave Winer

Sep 10, 2014, 10:03:25 AM9/10/14
to rad...@googlegroups.com
Scott, welcome to Radio3!

It should be protected from that, because before adding anything to the history array, I reload the data from the server.

Not doubting that a post disappeared, the data-storing software in use here is new, and I'm sure there are bugs in there somewhere.

Dave

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 9:25 AM, Scott Hanson <papa...@gmail.com> wrote:
I just had a post disappear. I had a couple of Radio3 tabs open in Chrome (OSX) from last night. This morning I posted once from one tab, then 10 minutes later submitted a second post from the other tab. The first post is now gone. No big deal, just interesting. I'll see if I can replicate it. :-)

--
Radio3 howto: http://radio3.smallpict.com/2014/09/01/gettingStartedWithRadio3.html
How to ask for help: http://scripting.com/2014/03/19/howToAskForHelpWithSoftware.html

Matthias Faller

Sep 11, 2014, 1:44:30 PM9/11/14
to rad...@googlegroups.com
My post are also all gone

Michael Lopez

Sep 11, 2014, 2:33:32 PM9/11/14
to rad...@googlegroups.com
Mine are gone too. Had them in a tab which had been open for quite some time. Hit refresh and they went away.

Thx,

mal

Michael Lopez

Sep 11, 2014, 3:12:48 PM9/11/14
to rad...@googlegroups.com
Now after awhile of having the browser closed the posts came back. I'll try do more sleuthing.

Thx,

mal

Dave Winer

Sep 11, 2014, 3:14:35 PM9/11/14
to rad...@googlegroups.com
That's what I expected, and why I asked about errors. If there's an error on startup it looks like they're gone but they're not.

--
Radio3 howto: http://radio3.smallpict.com/2014/09/01/gettingStartedWithRadio3.html
How to ask for help: http://scripting.com/2014/03/19/howToAskForHelpWithSoftware.html

Typed on an iPad with fat fingers.

Michael Lopez

Dave Winer

Sep 11, 2014, 5:09:13 PM9/11/14
to rad...@googlegroups.com
What that probably means is the server has crashed, and it's returning an HTML page, which doesn't have the correct headers (since it's a Heroku page, not something my server prepared).

When you reload the page after a minute does everything show up normal again?

Dave

Michael Lopez

Sep 11, 2014, 5:19:06 PM9/11/14
to rad...@googlegroups.com, da...@smallpicture.com
Yes, it works after I reloaded it. I wonder if Heroku's spinning down due to non-use? Or do you pay for that not to happen? Do your heroku logs show anything? $ heroku logs --tail from the project directory.

Thx,

mal