Rae Echols, ARA-TIME Director - a man of integrity - and other Union Patriots

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

May 26, 2022, 2:37:29 PM5/26/22
to Radio Officers Google Group
There have been people - two I know personally - who have been fired for refusing to bend to either radio officer union officials from whom they received an ultimatum to "pass all the students who paid the tuition" regardless if they were qualified by successful examination on the subject matter, or by USCG overlords and others. One was Rae Echols, the other was Richard Monjure.

One of those persons is no longer with us, a true hero who refused to bend to Trade Union threats and coercion (American Radio Association) corruption, Rae Echols. (photo below.) Rae refused to pass a union brother who repeatedly failed the final examinations of his class despite everyone else passing. The union brother according to Rae displayed an inability to understand fundamental knowledge needed for the execution of his duties of radio officer, especially the certification that he was attempting to qualify for.

We DO have very loyal and patriotic brothers among us.  I salute the two of you, and I remember our brother Rae Echols for his courage to say "NO" loudly to then ARA President William "Screw 'em" Schuman.

Photo of Rae Echols (b. 1941, d. 2016), W7FFF:
1.jpg
Photo of Rae

These men dedicated their lives to freedom and the end of union corruption.  They fight with the weapon of truth.

ARA Congressional hearing .jpg
This photo was taken after the 2nd meeting with the U.S. Congress Committee on Union Corruption.

On the far left is probably the Pro-Democracy Group's attorney, then there are: Kenneth G Welch; John Schalestock; Jan Leja; (the man in the khaki pants is UNKNOWN); Jeff Hutchinson; Name UNKNOWN but he was Radio Officer on Matson's flagship, "SS R J Peiffer" and finally Walter Shultz.

If anyone can supply the names of those I cannot remember, let me know.

This is an example of the Union corruption that Rae and others like Jan Leja, John Shalestock, and others found themselves against. R/O Jan Leja said "graft and corruption prevalent in this union, a trade union where its members are treated as serfs, and union money used as a personal bank account of the officials."

Ruddy Radio Electronics Officer Defense Fund: Ruddy was a deceased radio operator who left the union approximately $500,000-$600,000 to defend a change in Federal law for the elimination of the radio operator on merchant ships. The membership at the union meetings demanded an accounting of funds spent. The officials refused to open the books. Furthermore, a $1,000 assessment was placed on the membership for the Radio Electronics Officers Defense Fund. The declarative statement by the ARA leadership was "you will not be allowed to sail unless you pay $1,000 to us." I recognized this to be extortion. The explicit threat was "you don't pay us, no job." Moreover, other statements by the leadership implied successful ownership of one U.S. Senator through use of money and power. They became very bold about this.

I will be forever grateful to Rae and the above defenders of union democracy and people who take a stand against the racketeers that were so common in organized unions.  They may have lost their court case, but Captain Tim Brown won his and it started a "clean out" of the corruption in the maritime unions.

73

DR

schal...@juno.com

May 27, 2022, 6:52:06 AM5/27/22
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com
David.

Second from the right is Bruce Wachctel. MREO on Matson Phieffer. This group was probably the best and most effective resistance group the ARA ever had. And would have easily won the election  except for the blantant corruption of the Steingang and the self serving weasels like Stanley.

73

John

Please note: message attached

From: "D.J.J. Ring, Jr." <n1...@arrl.net>
To: Radio Officers Google Group <radio-o...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [Radio Officers, &c] Rae Echols, ARA-TIME Director - a man of integrity - and other Union Patriots
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 14:36:48 -0400

Richard Freedland

May 27, 2022, 12:29:29 PM5/27/22
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com
Bruce Wachtell was MREO on the Lurline, not the RJ Pfeiffer.

73,

Richard Freedland
Miami

Sent from my iPad.

On May 27, 2022, at 3:52 AM, schal...@juno.com wrote:

--
OUR FACEBOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/707451009311335/

Have your R/O friends join the group by visiting https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/radio-officers and requesting membership. We'd love to have them.

mime-attachment

using

May 27, 2022, 12:49:08 PM5/27/22
to schal...@juno.com, radio-o...@googlegroups.com
JS
Calling me a weasel is using bad language.

Stan the man

--
OUR FACEBOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/707451009311335/

Have your R/O friends join the group by visiting https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/radio-officers and requesting membership. We'd love to have them.

OUR FACEBOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/707451009311335/

Have your R/O friends join the group by visiting https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/radio-officers and requesting membership. We'd love to have them.

schal...@juno.com

May 27, 2022, 5:06:21 PM5/27/22
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com
Richard, you are correct about Bruce Wachtell being MREO on the Lurline.
I knew that but  must have had a "Stanley Moment."  My apologies.

73
John Schalestock  WB4-ZRG.

Please note: message attached

From: Richard Freedland <gada...@gmail.com>
To: radio-o...@googlegroups.com
Date: Fri, 27 May 2022 09:29:25 -0700

mime-attachment

schal...@juno.com

May 27, 2022, 5:21:20 PM5/27/22
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com
Richard you are correct about Bruce Wahctel  being on the Lurline.
Don't know what  made me pull a "Stanley" and place him on the wrong ship !

Roy Jones

May 27, 2022, 9:49:26 PM5/27/22
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com, schal...@juno.com
Come on guys enough is enough  This is not really for us all in the group to put up with.
--
OUR FACEBOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/707451009311335/

Have your R/O friends join the group by visiting https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/radio-officers and requesting membership. We'd love to have them.

Mister Mike

May 28, 2022, 12:31:10 AM5/28/22
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com
I agree….. Those of us who are not privy to all the details of this story may be forming erroneous images of this sordid situation.  However it shocks me to learn that someone could not troubleshoot a blown fuse on a piece of essential safety equipment and the responsible person was ordered to pass him anyways.

But let’s wrap it up and move on……

73,

Michael, W1RC

On May 27, 2022, at 9:49 PM, 'Roy Jones' via Radio Officers <radio-o...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Come on guys enough is enough  This is not really for us all in the group to put up with.

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

May 30, 2022, 9:20:20 PM5/30/22
to Radio Officers Google Group
Stanley,

What's the date on your MREO certification and who signed it?

Thanks,

DR