Ir al primer mensaje no leído

Richard Dillman

no leída,
27 oct 2014, 10:52:01 p.m.27/10/14
para Boatanchors,UDXF,Radio Officers

Coast station KSM, operated by the Maritime Radio Historical Society, will be holding a Mini Night of Nights event on 1 November emphasizing Medium Frequency transmissions on 500kc and 426kc.

What's the idea behind this event? Well, we know it's tough for many folks to copy the MF signals of KSM during our normal daytime (Pacific time) operations. We've often thought about a Mini Night of Nights during the winter that would continue into the evening hours and emphasize MF operations.

The propagation of our HF signals will be different too, so listeners beyond MF range may be able to copy us at locations where we are not heard during the day.

Date: 1 November 2014

Time: It will be a normal operating day for KSM and K6KPH, meaning that press and weather broadcasts will begin at 1000 Pacific time (1700gmt). The difference is that operations will be extended well into the evening hours, probably until 2100 or 2200 Pacific time (0400 or 0500gmt).

Our advice? Get your MF receivers warmed up and grease up your Beverage antennas to see what you can snatch out of the aether. Then send in your reports. If the event seems popular then we'll consider making it an annual thing.

We're working in cooperation with Dr. Fritz Raab for this event. He's the coordinator for the ARRL 500kc experiment. He's organizing a concurrent event during which the experimental stations that have been authorized for MF operation will also be on the air.

This event marks the 106th anniversary of the Berlin Treaty that created the international distress frequency at 500kc. US experimental stations, Canadian amateur stations and commercial coast stations like KSM will be on the air.

KSM will keep 500kc and its working frequency 426kc active with special messages, weather and traffic lists.

Report address:

Maritime Radio Historical Society
PO Box 392
Point Reyes Station, CA 94956
USA

See our Newsletter No. 49 for full information on this event as well as other interesting articles at:

http://tinyurl.com/kdjsb7o

Best,

RD

Richard Dillman, T2-GB-061170