Fwd: TNI Webinar May 20 - Public is back: Proposals for a democratic just economy

Jai Sen

May 16, 2020, 12:40:58 PM5/16/20
to Post WSMDiscuss, Post Crisis of Civilisation and Alternative Paradigms, Post Social Movements Riseup, Post RED, Post Debate, Post CJN!, Post India Climate Justice, JS, Jess Graham

Saturday, May 16, 2020

Viruses in movement…, Democracy in movement…, Portals in movement…

[Here is the announcement for the next in this great series of webinars that are trying to come to grips with the key issues at this world-historical juncture - and most crucially, for what we can collectively do, and how.  I for one am hoping that the session will also address the question of *how to make the proposals that the speakers put forward, come to life; and of *how to address the question of power – and the window of opportunity that we might still have (because I assume we all agree that the portal that the corona virus has given us is not going to be open and available forever ?) :

TNI Webinar Series, May 20, 4 pm CET :

Public is back : Proposals for a democratic just economy

TNI, co-sponsored by Alternative Information & Development Centre (AIDC), Focus on the Global South, and Public Services International (PSI)

            JS

fwd

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Transnational Institute" <ne...@tnimail.org>
Subject: Webinar 20 May - Public is back: Proposals for a democratic just economy
Date: May 15, 2020 at 7:56:39 AM EDT
To: "Jai" <jai...@cacim.net>
TNI invites you to join the seventh webinar in our series on May 20 and our live broadcast Future Beyond Shell Presents: Future Beyond Crises on May 16.

Webinar 20 May - Public is back: Proposals for a democratic just economy

Dear reader,

The next in our series of webinars, Public is back: Proposals for a democratic just economy, takes place on 20 May at 4pm CET. You can already register here.

One of the silver linings in this terrible pandemic has been the enthusiastic support for public services that it has generated. Even right-wing governments are being forced to put public needs above private profit, taking steps that would have been unimaginable just a couple of months ago. But how do we ensure this shift becomes permanent?

It will of course depend on the political power we can mobilise, but also the proposals we put forward. So we are excited that our next Wednesday webinar will bring together trade unionists and activists in Italy, Nigeria and India, who are at the forefront of struggles to defend public services and also advancing bold new visions for a public future.

Public is back: Proposals for a democratic just economy, takes place on 20 May at 4pm CET.

(French and Spanish interpretation available)

Panellists:
  • Rosa Pavanelli, General Secretary of the global union federation Public Services International (PSI)
  • Philip Alston, outgoing UN Special Rapporteur on extreme poverty and human rights
  • Aderonke Ige, Our Water, Our Rights Campaign in Lagos / Environmental Rights Action /Friends of The Earth Nigeria
  • Sulakshana Nandi, Co-chair, People's Health Movement Global (PHM Global)

This webinar is organised by TNI and co-sponsored by Alternative Information & Development Centre(AIDC), Focus on the Global South and Public Services International (PSI)

Our webinar the week after on May 27, 2020 4pm (CET) brings together a panel on Feminist Realities: Transforming Democracy in Times of Crisis. You can already find more details and register here

The Future is Public

Next week's webinar will also be a chance to reflect on a new book TNI launched this week — The Future is Public — that shows that public services are more important than ever in the face of the climate catastrophe, mounting inequalities, and growing political unrest. The book identified more than 1,400 services that have been brought back under public control involving more than 2,400 cities in 58 countries around the world. It also shared the learning from experiences of democratic, participatory and innovative public services that are transforming communities worldwide.

Future Beyond Shell Presents: Future Beyond Crises

For tomorrow TNI is happy to invite you to the live broadcast Future Beyond Shell Presents: Future Beyond Crises on Saturday, May 16 19:20 CET. This online event is organised in cooperation with Climate Liberation Bloc (CLuB), Code Rood, Gastivists, and Shell Must Fall.

The planet is and has been in crisis. In crises, in fact, as no issue is isolated. Lives, livelihoods, land, and nature are sacrificed for corporate profit. And while corporate multinationals like Shell are scrambling to profit from crises, and governments bend to their demands, we must ask ourselves: which future do we want to bail out?

How can we support communities, social movements, sectors, and industries to move towards the future we want? A future beyond crises.

Join this special event, please register to receive the information to join the livestream.

Program:

  • Musical introduction (19:20)
  • Welcome & opening speech (19:30)
    Speaker: Suzanne Dhaliwal (No Tar Sands UK)
  • Panel 1: The crises we know - How do current crises intersect and how is this affecting impacted communities and sectors? (19:50)
    Speakers: Suzanne Dhaliwal (No Tar Sands UK), Ilham Root (JA! Mozambique), Laurie van Der Burg (Oil Change International)
  • Musical intermezzo (20:30)
  • Panel 2: What Is Needed - How to transition from the fossil empires of the past to the decolonial energy democracies of the future? (20:40)
    Speakers: Meera Ghani (Ecolise), Tatiana Garavito (Wretched of the Earth), Suzanne Jeffery (Campaign Against Climate Change)
  • Closing musical performance (21:35)

Next to fantastic speakers we are looking forward to musical contributions by artists: Pravini, The Sounds of Climate Justice as well as a graphic harvesting performance by Willemijn Lambert. What more is needed for a wholesome live broadcast to channel your revolutionary energies in times of crises? Don’t miss out on this and register here.

TNI is proud to provide our webinars and research for free as a contribution to the movements and activists responding to this pandemic. However, it takes time and resources to organise these events, to research and to publish. If you would like to support us in this work, please consider making a donation here.

Sincerely,

Jess Graham

Community Builder

Transnational Institute - putting ideas into movement since 1974

Follow us on FacebookTwitterYouTube or Instagram.

Wittenstraat 25, 1052AK, Amsterdam, Netherlands

____________________________

Jai Sen

Independent researcher, editor; Senior Fellow at the School of International Development and Globalisation Studies at the University of Ottawa

jai...@cacim.net

Now based in New Delhi, India (+91-98189 11325) and in Ottawa, Canada, on unceded and unsurrendered Anishinaabe territory (+1-613-282 2900)

CURRENT / RECENT publications :

Jai Sen, ed, 2018a – The Movements of Movements, Part 2 : Rethinking Our Dance. Ebook and hard copy available at PM Press

Jai Sen, ed, 2018b – The Movements of Movements, Part 1 : What Makes Us Move ? (Indian edition). New Delhi : AuthorsUpfront, in collaboration with OpenWord and PM Press.  Hard copy available at MOM1AmazonIN, MOM1Flipkart, and MOM1AUpFront

Jai Sen, ed, 2017 – The Movements of Movements, Part 1 : What Makes Us Move ?.  New Delhi : OpenWord and Oakland, CA : PM Press.  Ebook and hard copy available at PM Press

Jai Sen

May 17, 2020, 12:14:30 PM5/17/20
to Post WSMDiscuss, Post Crisis of Civilisation and Alternative Paradigms, Post Social Movements Riseup, Post RED, Post Debate, Post CJN!, Post India Climate Justice, Jai Sen, Nick Buxton, Tord Björk, Benny Kuruvilla

Sunday, May 17, 2020

Something urgent

There’s something I’d like to add to what I said yesterday, covering this post.  Something that is perhaps even quite urgent, and of the present moment.

            This is in relation to my comment :

“I for one am hoping that the session will also address the question of *how to make the proposals that the speakers put forward, come to life; and of *how to address the question of power – and the window of opportunity that we might still have (because I assume we all agree that the portal that the corona virus has given us is not going to be open and available forever ?).”

In short, I had a very interesting discussion this last week with Tord Björk (who has been with Friends of the Earth Sweden for a long time now, and is also associated with other formations including La Via Campesina, and is now very active with peace and justice issues in Europe), who said something very thought-provoking.  After mulling over this for a bit, I think that the announcement of this webinar is a good moment to share this with you : That Tord believes that when thinking about the current context and what to do, we need to recognise that we are – meaning humanity is - presently in what I think he termed a ‘biologic’ moment (signalling, as I understood, a focus on the virus and the epidemic, on how to address and overcome these, but also, I sensed from what he said, impelled and guided by a fear of the what-is-still-unknown, and therefore a very special and pregnant moment, full of possibilities).  But that is only the first phase, and which will likely be brief (unless there are further waves, I suppose).  And that this will, perhaps quite soon, be overtaken by our – humanity - moving into a more ‘economistic’ phase, where the focus – driven also by the power of capital and of complicit states (and especially by those facing elections, perhaps), as we all as by many ‘normal’ people – will shift into ‘how best to get things into some shape’.  For some, even many, this will of course be back to the so-called ‘normal’; but even for others, who might be thinking of changes, this phase will still be far more ‘technical’ in nature than we are now…

            And where, as I read what Tord said (and much more briefly than this), once we move into that phase – and once we are coaxed and persuaded to move into that phase, with soothing paeans of how ‘everything is now okay’, or of ‘how everything is going to be okay’ – we will have lost the moment that we presently have.  Or in other words, we will lose the portal that Arundhati and others have helped us see – and sense - the pandemic as.  For once it becomes an economistic game, we will be in a different field entirely, with very different rules and very different possibilities - and most importantly, where people will be in a very different mindset.

Please of course comment on what I have said here, Tord, and on how I have presented here what was a simple but crucial idea that you put into my mind (and that infected me ! :-) ).

To also be fair to myself though, I have had in mind what might be called ‘parallel’ thoughts to what I think Tord said, and for quite some time now.  I’ve been trying to raise the content of what I have quoted above here and there - in chat comments and questions during webinars, and in off list communication with the organisers of the TNI webinars and also with the organisers of some of the other similar initiatives.  But so far – till I spoke with Tord – I guess I was thinking more of not wanting to lose the wood for the trees; in other words, not losing sight of the larger picture, and of the question of ‘what is to be done ?’, and of the urgent necessity of strategic and purposeful intervention, and of using each such webinar to sharpen our strategic thoughts, and not just of broadening and deepening our understanding.  Which is what I’m getting worried these webinars are morphing into; a comfort space, of good analysis and thinking, from all over the world, but within the limits of thinking out what is going on; and a little too much about nuts and bolts.  And not so much what we need to do (and what people are already doing), and how to do it; and as I say above, crucially also how to deal with power.  Both power-over and power-to.

I appreciate that thinking out things is important, and even essential, but we also need to address the question of action itself.  When it launched the series, TNI phrased this as ‘Building an internationalist response’.  We could all phrase this in different ways, but I think the essential idea was there.  But I now think that the idea that Tord has infected me with – and I hope I now have you, by sharing this with you here ! – changes the picture.  To use Naomi’s phrase, this thought changes everything.  And I think we have to sit up and think about this.  And do something.  Do many things, but with this in mind.  Starting with this webinar.  This opportunity may not come again for a long, long time.

With all due respect, and in solidarity, and with hope,

Jai

--
To reply to the author of this message, select "reply"; to reply to the whole list, select "reply to all".