public email addresses on packages server

Roger Keays

Feb 23, 2021, 6:49:18 AM2/23/21
to racket...@googlegroups.com
Has any consideration been given to concealing email addresses on pkgs.racket-lang.org for privacy purposes?

Hendrik Boom

Feb 23, 2021, 12:19:36 PM2/23/21
to racket...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 11:47:19PM +0700, Roger Keays wrote:
> Has any consideration been given to concealing email addresses on pkgs.racket-lang.org for privacy purposes?

Aren't those email addresses available anyway from github?

-- hendrik

Sam Tobin-Hochstadt

Feb 23, 2021, 1:13:50 PM2/23/21
to Racket Users
Github doesn't require making your email address public.

Sam

Tony Garnock-Jones

Feb 24, 2021, 3:47:27 AM2/24/21
to Racket Users
No, but it's an interesting thought. It might be quite a lot of design work to come up with something that made sense, but would you like to sketch out a proposal here to make the idea a little more concrete? I can't promise anything, but it'd be good to know the kinds of requirements that might be involved.

Roger Keays

Feb 24, 2021, 9:55:23 AM2/24/21
to Racket Users
I was just thinking along the lines of adding a "name" field to the table with the user/login data. If it is set, then it is displayed instead of the email. You should be able to search by this field too of course.

Tony Garnock-Jones

Feb 24, 2021, 10:09:58 AM2/24/21
to Roger Keays, Racket Users
Hi Roger,

On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 at 15:55, Roger Keays <rac...@rogerkeays.com> wrote:
I was just thinking along the lines of adding a "name" field to the table with the user/login data. If it is set, then it is displayed instead of the email. You should be able to search by this field too of course.

That sounds sensible. Thanks!

The email fields are also currently included in the JSON metadata for each package. For example, here's the (abbreviated) stanza for one of my packages in the catalog's https://pkgs.racket-lang.org/pkgs-all.json.gz file:

   "ansi" : {
      "author" : "tonygarn...@gmail.com",
      "authors" : [
         "tonygarn...@gmail.com"
      ],
      "build" : { ... },
      "checksum" : "c14081de59bc7273f1f9088a51d6d9c202b2b9d0",
      "description" : "ANSI and VT10x escape sequences for Racket.",
      "modules" : [ ... ],
      "name" : "ansi",
      "search-terms" : {
         ":build-success:" : true,
         "author:tonygarn...@gmail.com" : true,
         "ring:1" : true,
         "terminal" : true
      },
      "source" : "github://github.com/tonyg/racket-ansi/master",
      "tags" : ["terminal"],
      "versions" : {
         "default" : {
            "checksum" : "c14081de59bc7273f1f9088a51d6d9c202b2b9d0",
            "source" : "github://github.com/tonyg/racket-ansi/master",
            "source_url" : "http://github.com/tonyg/racket-ansi/tree/master"
         }
      }
   },

There's also an s-expression equivalent.

Do you have any thoughts on what, if anything, should be done about these files?

Regards,
  Tony

Roger Keays

Feb 24, 2021, 12:14:59 PM2/24/21
to Tony Garnock-Jones, racket...@googlegroups.com
I suppose another option would be to use one combined field with an email format like this:

Tony Garnock-Jones <to...@leastfixedpoint.com>

"search-terms" might need some special attention though. You might be able to list two author terms, like this:

"author:tonygarn...@gmail.com" : true,
"author:Tony Garnock-Jones" : true,

If the author has selected not to make his or her email public, then that information would be stripped from the json too.

I'm speculating here, because I have on idea where and how all this code is used. I think it would pay to be consistent with the json and the database in terms of fields and names though. If I were building it from scratch I would have separate fields for author name and email.