self contained zip file install?

knigh...@gmail.com

Jun 18, 2022, 12:06:54 PM6/18/22
to Racket Users
Hi all

Is there a plain ZIP file for kind-of installing racket? (must be ZIP - I can't even get a 7zip uninstaller installed).
I won't be able to put it in the standard Program Files folder and can't associate rkt files but I'm allowed to set up a plain directory and run from there.

I may download and work with files, but I have no admin on this
Windows 10 system
not even cmd - it's disallowed.

Bruce O'Neel

Jun 18, 2022, 2:55:21 PM6/18/22
to knigh...@gmail.com, Racket Users
HI,

So before I would download the minimal windows tar file to a linux system, untar it, and then zip it back up.

Then that could be copied to the corporate windows system and unzipped.  And that give a minimal Racket.

The part that has stopped working is I used to be able to, from cmd, run:

raco pkg install -i racket-lib

raco pkg install --deps search-auto -i main-distribution

And I would have a fully working Racket.

So this required cmd.exe to be run.  Can you run Powershell?  That can be convinced to do those commands as well but I don't know how to do that.  There might even be some way in minimal racket to convince those commands to be run.

What does not work anymore is that one of the packages is blocked by the corporate proxy now as a "virus" so minimal racket it is.

cheers

bruce

knigh...@gmail.com

Jun 18, 2022, 3:36:56 PM6/18/22
to Racket Users
No powershell, it's very tightly locked down

Maybe someone can give feedback (will it work) on this hack

Hmmm ... If there's no easy, quick way I'll try to run a windows VM at home,
install in that VM, and copy racket from the VM's Windows
"Program Files"
 folder to a USB, and put that on my work machine

knigh...@gmail.com

Jun 18, 2022, 3:38:26 PM6/18/22
to Racket Users
>>  No powershell, it's very tightly locked down

not even the shortcut to run programs -
Windows key+r

Bruce O'Neel

Jun 18, 2022, 3:40:19 PM6/18/22
to knigh...@gmail.com, Racket Users
HI,

If you do the build like I said it does not need to live in Program Files.  It can live in your user directory, for example.  It works fine.

cheers

bruce