New to Racket

Rohan Posthumus

Feb 18, 2021, 1:36:03 AM2/18/21
to Racket Users
Good morning,

I am new to Racket and want to know where I can ask questions if I do not understand something. Is this the correct platform?

Kind regards
Rohan

John Clements

Feb 18, 2021, 1:48:12 AM2/18/21
to Rohan Posthumus, Racket Users
Definitely! What’s up?

John Clements

Rohan Posthumus

Feb 18, 2021, 2:09:27 AM2/18/21
to Racket Users
I am a data analyst and uses a lot of data science packages in Python.
In order to learn Racket, I want to translate some of these into Racket. I need some help with where to start.
  • I finished "Beautiful Racket" and wonder whether I should make a data science DSL?
  • I read up a bit on Typed Racket and this seems like another option. The dynamic type checking seems to give overhead?
  • Translate some of these into Racket with classes and objects (similar to Python).
Any advice?

Kind regards
Rohan

Jens Axel Søgaard

Feb 18, 2021, 5:49:28 AM2/18/21
Den tor. 18. feb. 2021 kl. 08.09 skrev Rohan Posthumus <rohanpo...@gmail.com>:
I am a data analyst and uses a lot of data science packages in Python.
In order to learn Racket, I want to translate some of these into Racket. I need some help with where to start.
  • I finished "Beautiful Racket" and wonder whether I should make a data science DSL?
  • I read up a bit on Typed Racket and this seems like another option. The dynamic type checking seems to give overhead?
  • Translate some of these into Racket with classes and objects (similar to Python).
Any advice?

I would start with plain Racket to begin with. It's simpler, and you can switch to Typed Racket
a module at a time at a later date if you find the need.

Just in case you haven't found them already, if you need matrices over real floating points,
take a look at:

https://docs.racket-lang.org/manual-flomat/index.html

/Jens Axel

Rohan Posthumus

Feb 23, 2021, 1:26:09 AM2/23/21
to Racket Users
Thanks Jens! I appreciate. The package looks very promising.

Kind regards
Rohan

Hendrik Boom

Feb 23, 2021, 8:39:14 AM2/23/21
to Racket Users
On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 10:26:09PM -0800, Rohan Posthumus wrote:
> > Just in case you haven't found them already, if you need matrices over
> > real floating points,
> > take a look at:
> >
> > https://docs.racket-lang.org/manual-flomat/index.html

Looked at that.

On https://docs.racket-lang.org/manual-flomat/index.html#%28part._.Matrix_.Creation%29

it says

> (sub! A i j m n)
> Same as sub, but the elements are copied - the underlying array of flonums are shared.

Presumably it should say "are not copied".

-- hendrik

Jens Axel Søgaard

Feb 23, 2021, 12:52:57 PM2/23/21
to Racket Users
Den tir. 23. feb. 2021 kl. 14.39 skrev Hendrik Boom <hen...@topoi.pooq.com>:
On https://docs.racket-lang.org/manual-flomat/index.html#%28part._.Matrix_.Creation%29

it says

> (sub! A i j m n)
> Same as sub, but the elements are copied - the underlying array of flonums are shared.

Presumably it should say "are not copied".

Thanks! The docs are now fixed.

/Jens Axel