7 GUIs

Matthias Felleisen

Jun 1, 2019, 7:47:20 PM6/1/19
to Racket Users

Someone recently mentioned the “7 GUIs” task. I spent a couple of days to write up minimal solutions:

In my spare time, I will develop this repo in more depth (types, units, etc) because it looks like a reasonably educational task.

'John Clements' via users-redirect

Jun 3, 2019, 11:59:51 AM6/3/19
to Matthias Felleisen, Racket Users
Would it make sense to post the early ones to the 7GUIs site? They might be the easiest ones for others to understand.

John

Maciek Godek

Jun 13, 2019, 7:40:46 AM6/13/19
to Racket Users
FWIW I also came up with an even more interesting benchmark for GUIs, that I called "The Draggable Rectangle Challenge"

Here's one description

the solutions (in fairly portable Scheme, Racket-compatible) are described on the blog.

The code (presented by me on Racketfest) is also available in the repo (with the required modules for Racket):

(BTW slides for the Racketfest talk can be found here: https://github.com/panicz/writings/tree/master/talks/racketfest)

Maciek Godek

Jun 13, 2019, 7:44:01 AM6/13/19
to Racket Users

And one more thing,
someone provided a purely functional solution for the Draggable Rectangle Challenge in F# (I think it might be interesting to some).
The links can be found here:

Matthias Felleisen

Jun 14, 2019, 9:06:35 AM6/14/19
to Racket Users
I have continued my work on this repo, with two major additions:

— Macros/ which shows how to abstract over syntactic patterns in the GUI code
— Typed/ which injects types according to Typed Racket’s gradual typing philosophy

Both READMEs are simple experience reports. It has been fun, and I intend to add MVC implementations based on Units at some point soon, and perhaps a bit more.

— Matthias