REPL printing importance?

Jack Firth

Sep 11, 2019, 2:01:50 AM9/11/19
to Racket Users
Survey question: how important is it that values print nicely at a REPL? Do any of you have pet peeves in this area, or cases you wished Racket handled better? Tales of woe gladly welcomed!

gfb

Sep 11, 2019, 9:54:45 AM9/11/19
to Racket Users
Having the distinction between displayed and printed representation is very important.

Responsiveness is very important, so I'd like to see large values handled better.

Simply guarding against the accidental printing of a looong list would be nice. Printing truncated, with a clickable "...", as is used in number snip decimal expansions, and I only recently learned is a thing for error messages, would be very nice.

Allowing image snips to have a visual size different from their actual size would be nice (iirc bootstrap's and/or pyret's web editors do this).