Racket v8.2

John Clements

Jul 18, 2021, 2:55:39 PM7/18/21
to racket...@googlegroups.com
Racket version 8.2 is now available from

https://racket-lang.org/

* Racket CS improved the performance of large-integer arithmetic.

* Racket has improved support for layered and tethered installation.

* Racket CS supports nonatomic allocation via ffi/unsafe.

* Cross-compilation works fully with the `raco cross` tool, which is
distributed separately as the "raco-cross" package.

* DrRacket has performance improvements when editing files with
picts containing large bitmaps.

* Typed Racket more consistently refines field types of non-polymorphic
structs.

* Printing of values is unified across the teaching language
implementations and the stepper.

The following people contributed to this release:

Alex Harsányi, Alex Knauth, Amirouche, Andrew Mauer-Oats, Bob Burger,
Bogdan Popa, Cameron Moy, Crystal Jacobs, Dale Vaillancourt, Diego
A. Mundo, Fred Fu, Greg Hendershott, Gustavo Massaccesi, Jack Firth,
Jamie Taylor, Jarhmander, Jason Hemann, Jay McCarthy, Jeffrey D. Swan,
Jens Axel Søgaard, Jesse Alama, John Clements, Laurent Orseau,
Lazerbeak12345, Matthew Flatt, Matthias Felleisen, Mike Sperber, Nada
Amin, Noah Ma, Oscar Waddell, Paulo Matos, Pavel Panchekha, Philip
McGrath, Ray Racine, Robby Findler, Ryan Culpepper, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt,
Shu-Hung You, Sorawee Porncharoenwase, Stephen Chang, Thorsten Blum,
Tony Garnock-Jones, WarGrey Gyoudmon Ju, William J. Bowman, Yu Fang,
and minor-change.

Feedback Welcome

Asumu Takikawa

Jul 30, 2021, 1:53:07 AM7/30/21
to Racket Users
On 2021-07-18 18:55:35 +0000, 'John Clements' via Racket Users wrote:
> Racket version 8.2 is now available from

The Ubuntu PPA is also now updated to v8.2 on all supported releases (groovy no
longer supported):

https://launchpad.net/~plt/+archive/ubuntu/racket

As usual please report bugs here:

https://github.com/takikawa/racket-ppa

Cheers,
Asumu

Joseph Turco

Jul 30, 2021, 4:48:43 PM7/30/21
to Asumu Takikawa, Racket Users
Now we just need the Debian ppas to update to 8.2 for x86 and arm. I'm more inclined for arm as building racket on a 64bit distro on a pi 400 hangs the OS.

David Bremner

Jul 30, 2021, 7:31:57 PM7/30/21
to Joseph Turco, Racket Users
Joseph Turco <italian...@gmail.com> writes:

> Now we just need the Debian ppas to update to 8.2 for x86 and arm. I'm
> more inclined for arm as building racket on a 64bit distro on a pi 400
> hangs the OS.

I don't know what you refer to when you say "Debian ppas", but 8.2 is
available in Debian experimental for amd64, arm64, armhf, i386,
mips64el, mipsel, ppc64el, and s390x

Joseph Turco

Jul 30, 2021, 7:49:40 PM7/30/21
to David Bremner, Racket Users
Sorry I have Ubuntu in my head. I didn't find the experimental packages. I'll check again. Many thanks.

Joseph Turco

Jul 30, 2021, 8:02:08 PM7/30/21
to David Bremner, Racket Users
So I tried installing racket 8.2 from the experimental repos (downloaded it) and the dependencies (newer version of libc6) will break some things. So install at your own risk. I'll stick with 7.2 for now.

David Bremner

Jul 31, 2021, 9:03:10 AM7/31/21
to Joseph Turco, Racket Users
Joseph Turco <italian...@gmail.com> writes:

> So I tried installing racket 8.2 from the experimental repos
> (downloaded it) and the dependencies (newer version of libc6) will
> break some things. So install at your own risk. I'll stick with 7.2
> for now.

Yes, I should have mentioned those packages only work with a debian
testing/unstable install. I will make backports after the next debian
stable release (hopefully in a few weeks).

Joseph Turco

Jul 31, 2021, 9:33:37 AM7/31/21
to David Bremner, Racket Users
No rush! Just thought I'd let people know. Thanks for your work.

Regards,

Joseph Turco