Regarding collections and racket versions...

infodeveloperdon

Nov 2, 2020, 1:08:55 PM11/2/20
to Racket Users
All of my programming code is in a single collection: ~/.plt-scheme/4.2.1/collects/
even when I have installed newer versions of Racket.
The 'raco setup' function updated all my program bytecodes throughout my system.
I do go through some confusion regarding collections when I install a newer version of racket because I believe it makes use of a newer default collection and if I remember correctly, I make a change somewhere so that the system looks to my original collection location instead.
I appreciate any comments or advice regarding collections in general, or my use of the single collection directory: ~/.plt-scheme/4.2.1/collects/
:)

George Neuner

Nov 2, 2020, 9:20:50 PM11/2/20
to racket...@googlegroups.com

On 11/2/2020 1:08 PM, infodeveloperdon wrote:
> All of my programming code is in a single collection:
> ~/.plt-scheme/4.2.1/collects/
> even when I have installed newer versions of Racket.
>    :
> I appreciate any comments or advice regarding collections in general,
> or my use of the single collection directory:
> ~/.plt-scheme/4.2.1/collects/

You should not be doing active development in the collection directories
... they are meant for *stable* libraries and packages that you want to
be always available in Racket.

Just as a general rule, you ought not to be working under any directory
whose name starts with a period.

It is a Unix convention that a file or directory whose name starts with
a period is private space belonging to some application (which in Unix /
Linux includes the shell itself).   The convention also holds that these
objects should not be shown normally in file listings.  However, if you
specify the "-a" option to "ls"  (or have a shell alias that does so),
you will see these "hidden" files and directories in your listings.
["-a" means "all"]

You should set up another directory hierarchy for everyday work.  If /
When something is stable and you want it to be available in Racket all
the time, only then should you install it into the collection.

George

infodeveloperdon

Nov 2, 2020, 10:46:49 PM11/2/20
to Racket Users