How 'Pythonic' Can Racket Be Made?

Adam Golding

Oct 9, 2023, 1:35:11 PM10/9/23
to Racket Users
I am going to write a language called 'micronatrix' that is pythonic in its use of whitespace and even with python 2 type print statements but very minimal and pared down -- has similar ground been trodden?
--
adamgolding.ca

ps I have registered micronatrix.com

D. Ben Knoble

Oct 10, 2023, 12:09:09 PM10/10/23
to Racket Users
You'll probably get more replies on Discourse. A short answer is to mention Rhombus and to recommend looking at all the #langs on the package server and in the docs.

Adam Golding

Oct 10, 2023, 12:11:34 PM10/10/23
to D. Ben Knoble, Racket Users
Yikes, how do we protest introducing a dependency on some corporation?

--
This group is deprecated and retained as an archive.

Racket discussions have moved to the Racket Discourse at https://racket.discourse.group/ .

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/racket-users/ba2e2e23-c21b-43d0-9649-86a7fefa8d2bn%40googlegroups.com.

Daniel Patterson

Oct 10, 2023, 12:12:47 PM10/10/23
to Adam Golding, D. Ben Knoble, Racket Users

Adam Golding

Oct 10, 2023, 12:15:05 PM10/10/23
to Daniel Patterson, D. Ben Knoble, Racket Users
ah well the practice of email lists does not depend on google... we should presumbly be using matrix chat instead

Adam Golding

Oct 10, 2023, 12:16:13 PM10/10/23
to Daniel Patterson, D. Ben Knoble, Racket Users
that being said, it's about minimizing the number of corporations one depends on, not reducing it to zero which is impossible

J. Ryan Stinnett

Oct 10, 2023, 12:28:36 PM10/10/23
to adamg...@gmail.com, Daniel Patterson, D. Ben Knoble, Racket Users
In case there's confusion, we're talking about _Discourse_ here (the
open-source forum hosted at https://racket.discourse.group/), and not
_Discord_ (though there's also a Racket channel there).

- Ryan
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/racket-users/CALiGnDDDUfq2ODMLuf%2B1WgvQycZV1SN%2BC31JN2J0FWVsh0%3DchQ%40mail.gmail.com.

D. Ben Knoble

Oct 10, 2023, 12:28:47 PM10/10/23
to adamg...@gmail.com, Daniel Patterson, Racket Users
Nor on Discourse: I use the mailing list mode.
--
D. Ben Knoble

Adam Golding

Oct 10, 2023, 12:30:28 PM10/10/23
to D. Ben Knoble, Daniel Patterson, Racket Users
OH

Adam Golding

Oct 10, 2023, 12:30:52 PM10/10/23
to D. Ben Knoble, Daniel Patterson, Racket Users
Thank god I don't have to use discord ;-)

Jens Axel Søgaard

Oct 12, 2023, 8:02:00 AM10/12/23
to adamg...@gmail.com, Racket Users
Den man. 9. okt. 2023 kl. 19.35 skrev Adam Golding <adamg...@gmail.com>:
I am going to write a language called 'micronatrix' that is pythonic in its use of whitespace and even with python 2 type print statements but very minimal and pared down -- has similar ground been trodden?

Matthias Felleisen

Oct 12, 2023, 8:09:45 AM10/12/23
to Jens Axel Søgaard, adamg...@gmail.com, Racket Users

We tried embedding Python into Racket nee PLT Scheme some 20 years ago, twice:

Here is a paper on the second attempt:

From Python to PLT Scheme
https://www2.ccs.neu.edu/racket/pubs/#scheme2003-ms

Daniel Silva took the lead on this initiative. The surface language was (back then) covered.
It’s Python runtime system that made it essentially impossible to interop with the (even
then) many C libs.