`raco test` seems slower, not caching any compilation results?

Ryan Kramer

Mar 18, 2020, 8:47:22 PM3/18/20
to Racket Users
I'm currently using Racket 7.6 (non-CS) on Windows, and it feels like `raco test` is much slower these days. Specifically I am seeing

`raco test tests.rkt` takes 10 seconds. This is fine the first time, but repeating the test immediately also takes 10 seconds. It never creates any "compiled" directories.

Meanwhile, if I open tests.rkt in DrRacket, the first run takes about 10 seconds but then subsequent runs (without changes) take about 1 second. This creates a "compiled" directory, which I thought raco test would be able to use, but no luck -- raco test still takes 10 seconds.

I think this is a regression from 7.5, or else something strange is happening on my machine. I will try reverting to 7.5 soon to see if I can definitely determine the difference.

Does anyone know why this might be occurring?

Ryan Kramer

Mar 19, 2020, 9:47:44 PM3/19/20
to Racket Users
On Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 7:47:22 PM UTC-5, Ryan Kramer wrote:
I'm currently using Racket 7.6 (non-CS) on Windows, and it feels like `raco test` is much slower these days.

My mistake, it seems `raco test` never created the "compiled" directories with the dep and zo files. I found that using `raco setup -l <my-lib>` does create the dep and zo files, so I just need to remember to do that whenever I see the slowness.