Typed version of sxml?

Hendrik Boom

Apr 21, 2020, 5:18:39 PM4/21/20
to Racket Users
Is there a typed version of sxml?
Its data representation would seem to be fairly easy to specify by a few
corecursice define-type's.

I's like to get the result of
(ssax:xml->sxml in '())
as a typed value without having to waste time doing an exhaustive
run-time type-check on its output. Because it *will* be OK.
The xml file I'm dealing with is 2564178 bytes.

(I'm glad I have RAM nowadays. The first Lisp I ever used ran on a
machine with 20.000 digits of memory (approx 10K in today's units).

Failing anything else I suppose I could define
(define-type Xml Any)
but that seems kind of feeble.

-- hendrik

John Clements

Apr 21, 2020, 5:30:44 PM4/21/20
to Hendrik Boom, Racket Users
Are you asking because you’d like your own code using SXML to be typed, or because you’d like the sxml implementation to be typed? I think another way of asking this is: are you worried about bugs in your code, or about bugs in Oleg’s code? I think that rewriting the sxml library into TR would be a lot of work, but developing a TR representation for sxml terms seems quite reasonable; of course, you’d pay the price of checking the type every time you crossed the boundary into sxml library code, I suppose.

John

Hendrik Boom

Apr 21, 2020, 5:57:02 PM4/21/20
to Racket Users
On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 05:30:40PM -0400, John Clements wrote:
> Are you asking because you’d like your own code using SXML to be typed, or
> because you’d like the sxml implementation to be typed? I think another way
> of asking this is: are you worried about bugs in your code, or about bugs in
> Oleg’s code?

About bugs in my code.

> I think that rewriting the sxml library into TR would be a lot
> of work, but developing a TR representation for sxml terms seems quite
> reasonable;

> of course, you’d pay the price of checking the type every time
> you crossed the boundary into sxml library code, I suppose.

That's the price I'd prefer not to pay. I trust Oleg's code. I don't trust
mine without the most exhaustive testing program, which normally includes
static type checking.

-- hendrik