Installing Drracket on linux penguin on Chromebook

William Dobias

Jan 15, 2020, 2:55:37 PM1/15/20
to Racket Users
I am taking a course that uses drracket. I am having trouble installing it on my Chromebook (through the penguin linux) does anyone have any suggestions?

Shu-Hung You

Jan 16, 2020, 7:02:11 AM1/16/20
to William Dobias, Racket Users
Here's what I did:

1. Download the installer for x86_64 linux.
2. Move (or copy) the downloaded .sh file _into_ penguin through Files App.
3. Allow the installer to run by using `chmod +x FILE` (or `chmod 755 FILE`)
* Chromrebook does not allow eXecutable permission
for files outside penguin.
4. Run the installer (`./FILE`). I believe installing Racket in its
own directory (either in the current directory or under ~/) is the
simplest option.

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 1:56 PM William Dobias

> I am taking a course that uses drracket. I am having trouble installing it on my Chromebook (through the penguin linux) does anyone have any suggestions?

William Dobias

Jan 17, 2020, 1:21:29 PM1/17/20
to Racket Users
Thank you:
So I tried this (with basic troubleshooting, e.g., a couple times, with troubleshooting: restarted linux, chromebook; etc.) and it's not working:

```
Checking the integrity of the binary archive... ok.
Unpacking into "/home/----user----/racket-tmp-install" (Ctrl+C to abort)...
Done.
./racketinst.sh: 513: ./racketinst.sh: /home/----user----/racket-tmp-install/bin/racket: Exec format error
Error: installation failed
  (Removing installation files in /home/----user----/racket-tmp-install)
```

I am not sure what that means? The processor is aarch64 -architecture if that is relevant. Is that what exec format means?

Shu-Hung You

Jan 17, 2020, 5:04:16 PM1/17/20
to William Dobias, Racket Users
What's the result of `file
/home/----user----/racket-tmp-install/bin/racket` and the result of
`uname -a`?

(In other words, what hardware are you using? Is it 32-bit or 64-bit,
it is x86 or ARM? Which version of Racket did you download?)

Bruce O'Neel

Jan 18, 2020, 6:25:35 AM1/18/20
to Shu-Hung You, William Dobias, Racket Users
Hi,

If the architecture is aarch64 then most likely you'll need to build from source.

In the University of Utah snapshot builds there is an armv6 build, but most likely this won't work,  but is worth trying.

Whether armv6 binaries work on aarch64 depends on kernel build options and having all the needed 32 bit arm libraries installed.

What will not work at all is any x86 build.

If the armv6 build does not work download the source plus built packages and untar.  Then:

cd src/

mkdir build

cd build

../configure --prefix=whereyouwantthisinstalled

make

make install

It takes about 600 meg once installed.  You probably need a gigabyte free to do the build.  Of course you have to have the assorted build tools and libraries installed as well.  My builds take about 30-45 minutes or so

cheers

bruce

17 January 2020 23:03 Shu-Hung You <shu-hu...@eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
What's the result of `file
/home/----user----/racket-tmp-install/bin/racket` and the result of
`uname -a`?

(In other words, what hardware are you using? Is it 32-bit or 64-bit,
it is x86 or ARM? Which version of Racket did you download?)