Annoying run-warnings in DrR 7.5: How to disable?

Jordan Johnson

Jan 24, 2020, 3:26:03 PM1/24/20
to Racket Users
Hi all,

One thing I’ve noticed is new in DrRacket 7.5 is the warning dialog that pops up upon hitting Run, saying
“The file <filename> is not saved; save it before Run?”
where <filename> may be in some other tab than the one that has focus.

This is annoying the heck out of me, as I usually tend to have at least one tab open that’s just for doing little experiments that aren’t worth saving. I can’t seem to find any relevant preference settings.

How do I disable these warnings?

Thanks,
Jordan

Robby Findler

Jan 24, 2020, 5:01:03 PM1/24/20
to Jordan Johnson, Racket Users
In the preferences dialog, in the General tab, the last checkbox is
the one you want.

But let me confirm: the reason it is painful to turn on the preference
is that you have to choose a file? Would it work well for you if it
only wanted to save files that already had filenames?

Robby

Jordan Johnson

Jan 24, 2020, 11:37:12 PM1/24/20
to Robby Findler, Racket Users
On 24 Jan 2020, at 14:00, Robby Findler <ro...@cs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
> In the preferences dialog, in the General tab, the last checkbox is
> the one you want.

The one for saving files upon switching tabs?

> But let me confirm: the reason it is painful to turn on the preference
> is that you have to choose a file?

Well, I hadn’t ever turned on the preference before, so I didn’t know whether it would necessitate choosing a file. But in answer to your question, no. See below.

> Would it work well for you if it
> only wanted to save files that already had filenames?

AFAICT now that I’ve turned on that preference, this is the behavior it has. It doesn’t prompt me to save an untitled file. And this is the behavior I would want, if DrR is saving upon tab-switching.

It feels weird to me to have DrR save files when I switch tabs; I’m somewhat trained to use the “modified” state as a marker that I’m in the middle of something, and “is everything saved?” is a part of my “am I done?” mental checklist when I’m working on multiple unrelated things in different tabs. I’ll have to impose a different discipline on myself (which may be for the best).

For now, I’ll try living with the preference enabled for a while. I don’t foresee doing any complicated work this spring, so it’s no big deal right now.

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers,
Jordan

Shu-Hung You

Jan 24, 2020, 11:54:52 PM1/24/20
to Jordan Johnson, Robby Findler, Racket Users
On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 10:37 PM Jordan Johnson <j...@fellowhuman.com> wrote:

> On 24 Jan 2020, at 14:00, Robby Findler <ro...@cs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
> > In the preferences dialog, in the General tab, the last checkbox is
> > the one you want.
>
> The one for saving files upon switching tabs?

That new options is added in the upcoming v7.6 release.