re-run really fast!

'John Clements' via users-redirect

Mar 5, 2020, 1:25:15 AM3/5/20
to Racket Users
Okay, I’m probably under a rock and just haven’t read my e-mail in a week, but … I just noticed that re-running a long TR file of 900 lines took ONE second, rather than eleven. It appears to me that either TR or DrRacket or both are now cooperating to not re-compile when no edits have been made. Is that a recent change, or am I just easily pleased?

John

George Neuner

Mar 5, 2020, 2:13:07 AM3/5/20
to racket...@googlegroups.com
On 5 Mar 2020 01:25:09 -0500, "'John Clements' via users-redirect"
Perhaps "easily surprised"? Racket has long had the option to cache
compiled modules and use them if their source has not changed.

You get this either by running "raco make ..." from the command line,
or, in DrRacket in the 'Choose Language' dialog by selecting the
option to 'Populate "compiled" directories (for faster loading)'.

Not recompiling all the time can be a big time saver.

George

Robby Findler

Mar 5, 2020, 6:33:49 AM3/5/20
to John Clements, Racket Users
Some time ago (a lot more than a week), DrRacket started using the result of online expansion to run (look for the spiky green ball to know when it will work). It doesn't work in error trace mode tho.

Could that be it?

Robby

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 12:25 AM 'John Clements' via users-redirect <us...@plt-scheme.org> wrote:
Okay, I’m probably under a rock and just haven’t read my e-mail in a week, but … I just noticed that re-running a long TR file of 900 lines took ONE second, rather than eleven. It appears to me that either TR or DrRacket or both are now cooperating to not re-compile when no edits have been made. Is that a recent change, or am I just easily pleased?

John

'John Clements' via users-redirect

Mar 12, 2020, 12:30:52 AM3/12/20
to Robby Findler, Racket Users
That’s it! I have to look really close to see the spikes on the ball, but there they are. Many thanks.

John