Utah snapshots will switch to CS by default

Matthew Flatt

Aug 11, 2020, 6:24:25 PM8/11/20
to Racket Users
As you may know, the Racket Git repo recently switched to Racket CS as
the default build. That is, if you check out the repo and `make`, then
you get an in-place Racket CS build instead of Racket BC.

The next step in moving toward Racket CS is to try switching the
snapshot builds. Out current plan is to switch the Utah build on August
13. The Northwestern snapshot build will be unchanged, for now. This
change will have no effect on the regular, release downloads.

The layout of the page at

https://www.cs.utah.edu/plt/snapshots/

will change so that CS and BC builds are grouped together, more like
the Northwestern snapshot layout, but an installer that doesn't have
"BC" in its link will download a Racket CS installer.

If you have an automated process that pulls from the snapshot site,
then it probably downloads something like

https://www.cs.utah.edu/plt/snapshots/current/installers/racket-current-x86_64-linux-precise.sh

As of August 13, that will download a Racket CS installer instead of a
BC installer, because there's no "-bc" suffix in the name.

Racket BC builds will still be available; you'll just have to
specifically select a download option with "BC" in the link name or
"-bc" in the URL. For example,

https://www.cs.utah.edu/plt/snapshots/current/installers/racket-current-x86_64-linux-precise-bc.sh

will download a Racket BC installer. For now, 32-bit Windows and Mac OS
installers will be available only for BC, because we view those as
legacy platforms.

For consistently, you'll be able to access the CS installers using a
"-cs" suffix. The installer name without a "-cs" or "-bc" suffix is an
aliases for one with "-cs". Of course, the "current" names are all
aliases for installers that have a specific version number.

While we're adjusting installer names, the canonical name for Minimal
Racket installers will change to "racket-minimal-..." instead of
"min-racket-...". The new name matches the names used for releases. For
the foreseeable future, "min-racket-..." aliases will still work, but
you should migrate to "racket-minimal-..." if you have an automated
process that uses "min-racket-...".

Matthew

Bogdan Popa

Aug 12, 2020, 3:17:23 AM8/12/20
to Matthew Flatt, racket...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the heads-up! Will CS continue to be built on Xenial and BC
on Precise?

Matthew Flatt

Aug 12, 2020, 7:53:31 AM8/12/20
to Bogdan Popa, racket...@googlegroups.com
CS will be built on Precise, so the "current" alias with "precise" will
continue to work, and BC will continue to be built on Precise.

But CS will also be built on Xenial --- mostly because that build is
set up, but maybe it's a step toward migrating the build.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/racket-users/m2wo242v0k.fsf%40192.168.0.142.

Bogdan Popa

Aug 14, 2020, 3:27:09 AM8/14/20
to Matthew Flatt, racket...@googlegroups.com
Makes sense, thanks!

For anybody using the `setup-racket' GitHub action to install snapshots,
I cut a new release[1] that uses the new URL structure. All you have to
do to update is change the `uses' line from `Bogdanp/setup-...@v0.0X'
to `Bogdanp/setup-...@v0.10'. You only need to do this if you use
`current' for the Racket version.

[1]: https://github.com/Bogdanp/setup-racket/releases/tag/v0.10

Robby Findler

Sep 29, 2020, 3:33:48 PM9/29/20
to Matthew Flatt, Racket Users
I'm finally catching up and switching the Northwestern snapshots to BC by default. I've made the change and the changes will kick off tonight at midnight, Chicago time (probably failing horribly but maybe in a week or two we'll be back in business and the next paragraph will be accurate when that all settles).

All of the existing links should continue to work (let me know if you notice that didn't happen) but they will generally be CS where they were BC builds before. In particular, we're going to continue to have windows BC and CS, 64 and 32 bit builds; 64 bit BC and CS Mac OS builds, and 32 bit BC Mac OS builds. I've added Debian 64 bit CS builds, so we'll have 64 bit BC and CS as well as 32 bit BC builds for debian. For the rest, the 64 bit versions will all become CS builds and the 32 bit versions will all stay BC.

There will be explicit links ending with -bc and -cs as well as aliases that do not include the VM specifier that go to whatever is available, as Matthew describes for the Utah snapshots and "min-racket" will also change to "racket-minimal" (but still with an alias to avoid breaking old links).

Robby

Sam Tobin-Hochstadt

Sep 29, 2020, 3:41:53 PM9/29/20
to Robby Findler, Matthew Flatt, Racket Users
How will this affect the pkg-build snapshots?

Sam
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/racket-users/CAL3TdOOw%2BBkMj%2B-vN_mfbe%2Bt2MMuwuVtpyQDJyeOUoyjOWkHpA%40mail.gmail.com.

Robby Findler

Sep 29, 2020, 5:46:02 PM9/29/20
to Sam Tobin-Hochstadt, Matthew Flatt, Racket Users
The Northwestern natipkg build will be changed to be a CS build so I believe that means that the pkg builds will now running on top of CS (and otherwise unchanged).

Robby

Robby Findler

Oct 20, 2020, 11:46:32 PM10/20/20
to Matthew Flatt, Racket Users
The NWU snapshots are (mostly) working again and we've gotten a pkg-build using the CS build to go through. The results are here:

Some pkgs are newly failing their tests (or other problems) because they're now running on CS.

Robby

Robby Findler

Oct 22, 2020, 10:51:43 PM10/22/20
to Matthew Flatt, Racket Users