Looking for system admin help for the package system

Sam Tobin-Hochstadt

Dec 7, 2021, 3:31:06 PM12/7/21
to Racket Users
Currently, the implementation of https://pkgs.racket-lang.org as well
as https://pkg-build.racket-lang.org (see Notes) is primarily
maintained by Matthew Flatt, although much of it was originally
written by Jay McCarthy and Tony Garnock-Jones (for pkgs in
particular). Matthew of course wears a lot of hats and maintains lots
of things, and he's tired of this job.

As a result, I'm going to take over the sysadmin role, but I'm looking
for additional people who can help out as well -- this is a key part
of Racket infrastructure and one person is probably not enough. Anyone
with experience with system admin, web servers, the Racket web server,
AWS, Docker, etc would be great, or but expertise is _not_ required,
just a willingness to help out.

Of course, there are many ways to improve the system as well, and
helping to maintain it is a great way to get started on that.

If you're willing to volunteer some time to help with this, let me
know, either here or by messaging me (@samth) on Discord or Slack.

Sam

### Notes:

The implementation of pkgs.racket-lang.org is a front-end here:
https://github.com/racket/racket-pkg-website and a backend here:
https://github.com/racket/pkg-index/. They both run on the same EC2
instance, and store almost all of the state (including the index of
packages) in S3.

The implementation of pkg-build.racket-lang.org is a separate
continously-running EC2 instance running the `pkg-build` package,
implemented here: https://github.com/racket/pkg-build

Jacob Jozef

Dec 7, 2021, 4:43:11 PM12/7/21
to Sam Tobin-Hochstadt, Racket Users

Hi

I have no experience with system admin, web servers, the Racket web server,

AWS, Docker, but may be there are simple things I can do, for example adjust documentation.

Jos

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/racket-users/CAK%3DHD%2Ba5zFaHMGijuhCZ_jb7g1aEmukMwyXfxHYiErEWU%2B5aFQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Sage Gerard

Dec 7, 2021, 4:58:07 PM12/7/21
to jos....@gmail.com, sa...@indiana.edu, racket...@googlegroups.com
Can assist, but am biased to my own tools and designs. Is there a way to volunteer from that angle?

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

Dec 8, 2021, 10:40:33 PM12/8/21
to ja...@plattjt.com, Racket Users
Hi James,

Thanks for volunteering! I really appreciate it.

We've got several volunteers, so hopefully it won't be too much work for anyone, and I'll make sure not to ask you to do anything too soon.

I've been planning to coordinate using the Racket Discord. Have you used that?

Thanks again,
Sam