Can OpenSSL be upgraded for the next Racket release?

Andre Garzia

Aug 17, 2020, 12:47:06 PM8/17/20
to Racket Users
Hi Folks,

The OpenSSL DLLs being shipped with Racket (in version 7.7 at least) is v1.1.0.8 which has already been EOLd. Version 1.1.1 is the stable version. Version 1.1.1 is LTS and supported until 2023. In theory 1.1.1 is a drop-in replacement for 1.1.0.8 since it is ABI and binary compatible with the older version. Having that version available would allow us to benefit from TLSv1.3:

And also benefit from many other bug fixes.

Best
Andre

--
Want to support me? Buy me a coffee at https://ko-fi.com/andregarzia

Matthew Flatt

Aug 18, 2020, 7:42:23 PM8/18/20
to Andre Garzia, Racket Users
Yes --- done.

Matthew

At Mon, 17 Aug 2020 17:46:49 +0100, Andre Garzia wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> The OpenSSL DLLs being shipped with Racket (in version 7.7 at least) is
> v1.1.0.8 which has already been EOLd. Version 1.1.1 is the stable version.
> Version 1.1.1 is LTS and supported until 2023. In theory 1.1.1 is a drop-in
> replacement for 1.1.0.8 since it is ABI and binary compatible with the
> older version. Having that version available would allow us to benefit from
> TLSv1.3:
>
> https://wiki.openssl.org/index.php/TLS1.3
>
> And also benefit from many other bug fixes.
>
> Best
> Andre
>

> --
> https://www.andregarzia.com <http://www.andregarzia.com>

Sage Gerard

Aug 18, 2020, 9:12:06 PM8/18/20
to mfl...@cs.utah.edu, an...@andregarzia.com, racket...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for this. This is such a helpful change!

Aug 20, 2020, 9:18:01 AM8/20/20
to Matthew Flatt, Racket Users
Thanks a lot for the quick turnaround, Matthew.

I want to get more involved with Racket maintaining, specially for Windows platform, and before you replied here, I was trying to do this update myself. I saw the packages:

But I couldn't find a repository or instructions on how to build them. Could you point me in to some instructions? In the future, instead of asking for upgrades, I'd like to maybe send a PR or something.

Best
Andre

Matthew Flatt

Aug 20, 2020, 9:51:42 AM8/20/20
to Andre Garzia, Racket Users
Hi Andre,

For information and build scripts, see

https://github.com/racket/racket/tree/master/racket/src/native-libs

As an intermediate step, I direct the libraries to a checkout of

https://github.com/racket/libs/

which has the built libraries in package form and some upload scripts
for registering the updated packages.

The time-consuming part is preparing a set of environments where the
builds can work, including having all of the source archives at hand. I
start with a Mac that has old Mac OS SDKs and MinGW cross compilers
installed, so I can build 32-bit and 64-bit Mac and Windows libraries
in one place. I have a Debian 7 VM for the natipkg build. Probably
there's a more modern, Docker-based strategy that would make this
easier.

Matthew