Racket Slack archive [help wanted]

D. Ben Knoble

Jun 8, 2021, 11:16:28 AM6/8/21
to Racket Users
In case you missed it/aren't on Slack:

The latest version of the Slack archive is up-and-running at https://benknoble.github.io/racket-slack-archive/ (extends through roughly 2021-06-07).

The site is now built using a mix of
- Racket (data processing, mostly the json, hash, and unzip modules)
- Jekyll/Ruby (site-generation; a plugin makes pages out of all the channel directories, which are then rendered via a set of HTML templates)

I have some todos to make a nicer experience, and help is welcome. Also if anyone wants to start working porting the Jekyll + Ruby stuff to Racket, feel free.

John Clements

Jun 8, 2021, 1:22:12 PM6/8/21
to D. Ben Knoble, Racket Users
Hearing about this for the first time, seems like a fantastic idea.

10 seconds of experience:

1) It wasn’t immediately clear to me that the links were the names of channels. It seems painfully obvious to me now, but perhaps it’s worth starting all the names with hashes?

2) Clicking on the channel name “general” appears to melt down somehow, presumably because the page is really really really big. Is pagination near the top of most-desired-new-features?

Again, I think it’s great that you’re doing this!

John

Ben Knoble

Jun 8, 2021, 3:35:37 PM6/8/21
to John Clements, Racket Users

D. Ben Knoble

1) It wasn’t immediately clear to me that the links were the names of channels. It seems painfully obvious to me now, but perhaps it’s worth starting all the names with hashes?

Great idea, thanks.

2) Clicking on the channel name “general” appears to melt down somehow, presumably because the page is really really really big. Is pagination near the top of most-desired-new-features?

Yeah, this is one of my top priorities. I’m thinking I’ll break it down by date. But I may want to rewrite the static generation in Racket first (to get it off Ruby + Jekyll, which may be unfamiliar to the community).

Again, I think it’s great that you’re doing this!

Thanks :)