Racket v7.3.0.900 is available for testing

John Clements

Jul 23, 2019, 11:48:48 AM7/23/19
to Racket Users
Version 7.3.0.900 is now available for testing from

https://pre-release.racket-lang.org/

(Note that this is not available from the usual download site.)

If all goes well, we will turn this version into a v7.4 release
within a couple of weeks.

This release is the first one to include Chez-Scheme-based builds (labeled “Racket CS” on the pre-release page), and we’d be interested in hearing about any issues you encounter with these builds.

Your help and feedback in testing this new release candidate would be
much appreciated.

Alex Harsanyi

Jul 23, 2019, 8:47:35 PM7/23/19
to Racket Users
I installed the windows version of the Racket CS build and, when trying to run DrRacket I get the following error in a console:

variable force-unfasl is not bound
  context...:
   condition->exn
   body of data
   dynamic-wind
   body of data
   compiled-module->dh+h+data-instance+declaration-instance
   eval-module8
   standard-module-name-resolver
   module-path-index-resolve5
   namespace-module-instantiate!96
   for-loop
   for-loop
   run-module-instance!125
   perform-require!78
   namespace-require+
   #%for-each

I get the same error if I try to run racket.exe in a console.

As a separate note, this pre-release build tries to install itself as "Racket", which will replace the main Racket installation, I would prefer if pre-release builds would install in versioned directories (i.e. Racket-7.3.0.900), this was the case with past pre-releases.  I could tell the installer to use a versioned directory though, so this is not a big issue.

Alex.

Matthew Flatt

Jul 23, 2019, 8:51:01 PM7/23/19
to Alex Harsanyi, Racket Users
At Tue, 23 Jul 2019 17:47:35 -0700 (PDT), Alex Harsanyi wrote:
> I installed the windows version of the Racket CS build and, when trying to
> run DrRacket I get the following error in a console:
>
> variable force-unfasl is not bound

This is a build problem that we're investigating. Thanks for the
report!

> As a separate note, this pre-release build tries to install itself as
> "Racket", which will replace the main Racket installation, I would prefer
> if pre-release builds would install in versioned directories (i.e.
> Racket-7.3.0.900), this was the case with past pre-releases. I could tell
> the installer to use a versioned directory though, so this is not a big
> issue.

Snapshot installers suggest a version number for the installation
directory, but my memory of release candidates is that they don't
include a version in the default path for Windows, because they're
meant to act like a release. It's possible that I misremember they way
that we've configured things in the past, though.

Greg Hendershott

Jul 24, 2019, 8:06:48 AM7/24/19
to John Clements, Racket Users

> This release is the first one to include Chez-Scheme-based builds
> (labeled “Racket CS” on the pre-release page), and we’d be
> interested in hearing about any issues you encounter with these
> builds.

OK, I added a new "RELEASECS" target to travis-racket:

https://github.com/greghendershott/travis-racket/issues/36

So now in a .travis.yml matrix, RACKET_VERSION can be any of:

HEAD HEADCS RELEASE RELEASECS 7.3 7.2 7.1 7.0 6.12 6.11 6.10 6.9 6.8
6.7 6.6 6.5 6.4 6.3 6.2 6.2.1 6.1 6.1.1 6.0 6.0.1 5.93 5.92 5.3 5.3.6
5.3.5 5.3.4 5.3.3 5.3.2 5.3.1.

Plus there are boolean flags RACKET_MINIMAL and RACKET_NATIPKG.

> If all goes well, we will turn this version into a v7.4 release
> within a couple of weeks.

If anyone wants to say whether to handle that as RACKET_VERSION values
"7.4" and "7.4-CS", or, as a new boolean flag like "RACKET_CS":

https://github.com/greghendershott/travis-racket/issues/37

Matthew Flatt

Jul 26, 2019, 8:41:15 AM7/26/19
At Tue, 23 Jul 2019 18:50:57 -0600, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> At Tue, 23 Jul 2019 17:47:35 -0700 (PDT), Alex Harsanyi wrote:
> > I installed the windows version of the Racket CS build and, when trying to
> > run DrRacket I get the following error in a console:
> >
> > variable force-unfasl is not bound
>
> This is a build problem that we're investigating.

The latest pre-release build of Racket CS for Windows installs and runs
(at least for me):

http://pre-release.racket-lang.org/

Thanks again for helping us check the pre-release builds!

Alex Harsanyi

Jul 27, 2019, 1:58:38 AM7/27/19
to Racket Users
I can install the windows version of Racket CS and DrRacket (and my program) runs fine, however when I try to run "raco" I get a message windows with the "Can't find C:\Program FIles\Racket\.\racket<Executable Variant:Replace This>.exe":

I have no extra packages installed or migrated to this installation.

Alex.

Matthew Flatt

Jul 30, 2019, 10:06:40 PM7/30/19
to Alex Harsanyi, Racket Users
The latest release candidate at pre-release.racket-lang.org fixes this
problem.

Thanks again!

At Fri, 26 Jul 2019 22:58:38 -0700 (PDT), Alex Harsanyi wrote:
> I can install the windows version of Racket CS and DrRacket (and my
> program) runs fine, however when I try to run "raco" I get a message
> windows with the "Can't find C:\Program FIles\Racket\.\racket<Executable
> Variant:Replace This>.exe":
>

> I have no extra packages installed or migrated to this installation.
>
> Alex.
>
> On Friday, July 26, 2019 at 8:41:15 PM UTC+8, Matthew Flatt wrote:

> > trying to

> > > This is a build problem that we're investigating.
> >
> > The latest pre-release build of Racket CS for Windows installs and runs
> > (at least for me):
> >
> > http://pre-release.racket-lang.org/
> >

> > Thanks again for helping us check the pre-release builds!

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/racket-users/b6d41e86-bbcd-4c8b-82de-7fa99e4f
> 7dd4%40googlegroups.com.

Alex Harsanyi

Aug 1, 2019, 9:06:29 AM8/1/19
to Racket Users
I installed the latest version, and Racket and raco run fine, but I am sorry to report some more problems with it:

When I runActivityLog2 there is some code which prints out a number to the console when the application starts up -- this does not happen if I build the application with Racket 7.3, so it is not a spurious printf in my code.  It is just a number: if I run it using racket.exe, it is always 98908, if I build an executable, the value printed out is always 98914, and a new console window is opened, which is very annoying for a GUI application. I tried creating a simple GUI application, with just a frame, but nothing was printed out when I ran that one, so I am not sure how to investigate it further.

Also, in one of the test runs, I got a warning printed out on the console:

    (racket.exe:6532): Pango-WARNING **: 20:39:36.824: couldn't load font "Helvetica Bold Not-Rotated 14px", falling back to "Sans Bold Not-Rotated 14px", expect ugly output.

I only got this warning once and could not reproduce it anymore.  As with the number, I never saw this warning (or any unexpected text) printed out on the console with previous Racket versions.

Should I create issues for these in the Racket, or some other repository?

Alex.

Matthew Flatt

Aug 1, 2019, 9:33:21 AM8/1/19
At Thu, 1 Aug 2019 06:06:29 -0700 (PDT), Alex Harsanyi wrote:
> When I runActivityLog2 there is some code which prints out a number to the
> console when the application starts up -- this does not happen if I build
> the application with Racket 7.3, so it is not a spurious printf in my
> code. It is just a number: if I run it using racket.exe, it is always
> 98908, if I build an executable, the value printed out is always 98914, and
> a new console window is opened, which is very annoying for a GUI
> application. I tried creating a simple GUI application, with just a frame,
> but nothing was printed out when I ran that one, so I am not sure how to
> investigate it further.

I see that calling `(collect-garbage 'major)` returns a number when it
should return `(void)`.

Repair pushed, but I don't that we'll get this repair into the release.
For v7.4, Racket CS will be advertised as "beta". It's close enough to
be worth trying (to expose bugs like this one), but there are likely to
be too many problems to switch to it for production use for most Racket
projects.

> Also, in one of the test runs, I got a warning printed out on the console:
>
> (racket.exe:6532): Pango-WARNING **: 20:39:36.824: couldn't load font
> "Helvetica Bold Not-Rotated 14px", falling back to "Sans Bold Not-Rotated
> 14px", expect ugly output.
>
> I only got this warning once and could not reproduce it anymore. As with
> the number, I never saw this warning (or any unexpected text) printed out
> on the console with previous Racket versions.

The problem here is that Pango warnings (or warnings from glib-based
libraries i ngeneral) are not being redirected to logging. I forgot to
fill in that piece for Racket CS, and I'll put it back on my list.

> Should I create issues for these in the Racket, or some other repository?

Racket issues are fine, although the latter is probably more
specifically a `racket/draw` issue.

Thanks for your consistent help!
Matthew

Roman Klochkov

Aug 1, 2019, 10:42:03 AM8/1/19
to Racket Users
Run DrRacket on Windows. OK
Run my program. OK.
Try to build exe file

Got this in console:
module: current code inspector cannot redeclare module
  module name: #<resolved-module-path:(submod "C:\Program Files (x86)\Racket\share\pkgs\typed-racket-lib\typed-racket\base-env\prims-contract.rkt" forms)>
  context...:
   declare-module!58
   declare-this-module
   eval-module8
   for-loop
   declare-submodules
   declare-this-module
   eval-module8
   C:\Program Files (x86)\Racket\collects\compiler\embed.rkt:449:0: get-code
   C:\Program Files (x86)\Racket\collects\compiler\..\racket\private\map.rkt:88:19: loop