Racket v7.8

John Clements

Aug 3, 2020, 9:35:22 AM8/3/20
to Racket list
Racket version 7.8 is now available from

https://racket-lang.org/

* Racket CS may become the default Racket implementation in the next
release. With the improvements in this release, Racket CS provides all
of the functionality of Racket BC (the current default
implementation). If, between this release and the next, no bugs are
discovered in Racket CS that are more serious than those typically
discovered in Racket BC, then Racket CS will become the default for
the next release.

* Racket CS supports AArch32 and AArch64, including places and
futures. The implementation should be considered experimental in this
initial release.

* Racket CS supports an "incremental" garbage-collection mode that can
eliminate long GC pauses for some applications, such as animations and
interactive games.

* Racket CS unboxes local floating-point arithmetic (like Racket BC).

* DrRacket's spell check features lower overhead and has fewer bugs.

* Web Server performance under high concurrency is [better by up to an
order of magnitude](https://github.com/racket/web-server/pull/94/).
The Web Server is also more resistant to clients attempting to use
unconstrained resources.

* The math library includes the Kronecker product.

* Windows supports finer granularity for `sleep` when sleeping for short
periods of time, improving performance in animation.

* The new prop:struct-field-info property provides static information
about field names.

* Debugging context in Racket CS is limited to 64,000 frames
(approximately the same as Racket BC). This reduces the time taken to
handle out-of-memory failures.

* In `plot`, the legend font and the plot font can be controlled
independently, and error-bars have an `#:invert?` option.

* The plot and math libraries have new maintainers: Alex Harsányi for
plot and Pavel Pancheka and Jens Axel Søgaard for math.

The following people contributed to this release:

Alex Harsányi, Alex Knauth, Alexander Shopov, Alexis King, Andrew Kent,
Andrew Mauer-Oats, Atharva Raykar, Ben Greenman, Benjamin Yeung, Bert De
Ketelaere, Bogdan Popa, David Christiansen, David Florness, Diego
Crespo, Fred Fu, Gary Baumgartner, Georges Dupéron, Gustavo Massaccesi,
J. Ian Johnson, Jack Firth, Jay McCarthy, Jens Axel Søgaard, Jesse
Alama, John Clements, Laurent Orseau, Leif Andersen, Luka Hadži-Đokić,
Marc, Matthew Butterick, Matthew Flatt, Matthew Parris, Matthew Turland,
Matthias Felleisen, Michael Ballantyne, Mike Sperber, Noah W M, Paulo
Matos, Pavel Panchekha, Philip McGrath, Raphael Das Gupta, Reuben
Thomas, Ricardo Herdt, Robby Findler, Ryan Culpepper, Sam
Tobin-Hochstadt, Sancho McCann, Sorawee Porncharoenwase, Spencer
Florence, Stephen De Gabrielle, Syntacticlosure, frogbird, kryptine,
rsiddharth, and yurkobb

Feedback Welcome

John Clements

Aug 3, 2020, 1:19:57 PM8/3/20
to Racket list
This release announcement mistakenly omitted two important contributors: Tim Brown, and Dionna Amalie Glaze. Many thanks for their help!

John Clements

Joel Dueck

Aug 4, 2020, 10:28:30 AM8/4/20
to Racket Users
I'm very interested in the prop:struct-field-info property. Is there any documentation on it? I notice docs.racket-lang.org still says 7.7 up at the top.

Thanks to everyone for this release!

John Clements

Aug 4, 2020, 10:33:00 AM8/4/20
to Joel Dueck, Racket Users
Yes, there is documentation for this feature! Here are two ways to get it:

1) On a machine with 7.8 installed, run `raco docs prop:struct-field-info` at the command line, or (equivalently) highlight the word in drracket and hit F1. Both of these open a web browser window pointed at your local documentation installation.

2) Wait a few days for the 7.8 docs to be installed at docs.racket-lang.org.

Best,

John

Sorawee Porncharoenwase

Aug 4, 2020, 12:30:20 PM8/4/20
to John Clements, Joel Dueck, Racket Users

Asumu Takikawa

Oct 15, 2020, 3:56:48 PM10/15/20
to Racket Users
On 2020-08-03 09:35:16 -0400, 'John Clements' via Racket Users wrote:
> Racket version 7.8 is now available from
>
> https://racket-lang.org/

This is quite delayed, but the Ubuntu PPA has been updated to 7.8 as
well. Ubuntu version 20.10 (Groovy) is newly supported while 19.10
(Eoan) is phased out (will remain on Racket 7.7).

Sorry for the delay this time. As usual please report any issues on
github:

https://github.com/takikawa/racket-ppa

Cheers,
Asumu