Switch off type checking via typed/racket/no-check fails on typed big-bang

Marc Kaufmann

Mar 25, 2020, 4:31:23 PM3/25/20
to Racket Users
Hi,

I am trying to switch off type checking on a file so that I can prototype faster without the wait for the type checker. However, my code also uses typed/2htdp/universe and typed/2htdp/image, and I get an error on `big-bang`:

> Type Checker: Macro big-bang from typed module used in untyped code in: (big-bang ...

So, is there a to run the program without running the type checker? Relatedly, is there a way of reloading a *typed* racket file in the REPL (I can't get it to work with ,reload-require which just chokes somehow).

I could hack around this by having the big-bang be in an untyped submodule - but doing this only so that I can have a faster developing loop (I will already have to switch between #lang typed/racket and #lang typed/racket/no-check enough) seems a bit dodgy.

Cheers,
Marc

Ben Greenman

Mar 30, 2020, 10:41:28 PM3/30/20
to Racket Users
On 3/25/20, Marc Kaufmann <marc.ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to switch off type checking on a file so that I can prototype
> faster without the wait for the type checker. However, my code also uses
> typed/2htdp/universe and typed/2htdp/image, and I get an error on
> `big-bang`:
>
>> Type Checker: Macro big-bang from typed module used in untyped code in:
> (big-bang ...
>
> So, is there a to run the program without running the type checker?

No, you'll need a hack-around to avoid the macro issue.

This macro+use might be safe, but in general TR can't be sure that
expanding a macro won't break the typed module.

> Relatedly, is there a way of reloading a *typed* racket file in the REPL (I
> can't get it to work with ,reload-require which just chokes somehow).

I don't know about this

Marc Kaufmann

Apr 1, 2020, 12:38:28 PM4/1/20
to Ben Greenman, Racket Users
Thanks Ben.

Do you know why it is difficult to get working - as in, whether it's worth investigating? My workflow with Typed Racket requires far too many restarts of the REPL. I am just wondering what a saner workflow would look like that still allows for some quick and (typed) dirty prototyping.

Cheers,
Marc