resources for learning JS / React?

'John Clements' via users-redirect

Jan 25, 2020, 1:56:57 PM1/25/20
to Racket Users
I have a graduate student that wants a self-guided introduction to JS and React. The problem here, to some degree, is that there are so *many* introductions. Does anyone here have specific references that might be helpful? (Say, e.g., if Gregor Kiczales did a JS course on coursera… that would be pretty much perfect.)

John

Darren Newton

Jan 26, 2020, 8:00:02 AM1/26/20
to Racket Users
Were you looking specifically for a video course that covers both? I can recommend some very good resources for JavaScript as a language and how to wield it (in book form). React gets dicier as its a constantly moving target.

Darren Newton

Jan 26, 2020, 8:15:46 AM1/26/20
to Racket Users
For learning JavaScript these two resources are very good:

The tutorial on the React site itself is pretty good and provides a solid foundation in the framework - https://reactjs.org/tutorial/tutorial.html

John Clements

Jan 26, 2020, 12:12:21 PM1/26/20
to Darren Newton, Racket Users, Henry Yin
Many thanks! These look good.

John Clements

Jens Axel Søgaard

Jan 26, 2020, 1:44:55 PM1/26/20
to John Clements, Darren Newton, Racket Users, Henry Yin
If he is using React for a new project, I suggest using React Hooks.
React Hooks were introduced in 2018 and "feels more functional" than their previous approach.

https://reactjs.org/docs/hooks-intro.html

/Jens Axel

Jens Axel Søgaard

Sean Kemplay

Jan 27, 2020, 5:39:53 AM1/27/20
to Racket Users

This is a good (free) course that takes you the lates best practices of JS (getting more functional), react and then react native.

Hendrik Boom

Jan 27, 2020, 7:21:29 AM1/27/20
to Racket Users
Just wondering: Is there a #lang for javascript?

-- hendrik

John Clements

Feb 15, 2020, 1:53:39 PM2/15/20
to Sean Kemplay, Racket Users