Racket Mode documentation

Greg Hendershott

May 23, 2019, 11:50:28 PM5/23/19
to Racket Users
Recently I consolidated and updated Racket Mode documentation.

It is generated in two formats:

- Info: Installed locally. View in Emacs with `C-h i`.

- HTML: View at <https://racket-mode.com/>.

If you're curious how it's prepared:
<https://github.com/greghendershott/racket-mode/tree/master/doc>.

Sorawee Porncharoenwase

May 24, 2019, 4:28:26 AM5/24/19
to Greg Hendershott, Racket Users
Hmm. I'm seeing "This site can’t be reached" (DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN).

zeRusski

May 24, 2019, 7:25:10 AM5/24/19
to Racket Users
this is pretty cool Greg! I, too, had a brief excursion into documenting with Org. It still needs work, but here is an org-source that can be executed to generate the REAME.org (or whatever other format you need) suitable for Github. Some brownie points of this approach:

- extracts reference documentation from Elisp docstrings (your code does something similar me thinks),
- lets you interleave whatever text or examples you want,
- collects all examples in the same file and runs them in ERT deftest,
- code that does all that leaves in source blocks in the same Org-file, so basically everything is just one file.

Curiously, this could be a pan-lingua approach, suitable for any proglang, not just Elisp. Maybe with some work, perhaps with some extra work if your language doesn't play nicely with Org Babel or whatever. Org is amazing. I think it should marry Scribble and procreate ))

zeRusski

May 24, 2019, 7:25:12 AM5/24/19
to Racket Users

Sam Tobin-Hochstadt

May 24, 2019, 9:20:03 AM5/24/19
to Sorawee Porncharoenwase, Greg Hendershott, Racket Users
It looks like www.racket-mode.com works, but without the www. it doesn't.

Sam
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/racket-users/CADcuegs5OyyAHu52L%3DDRG8jAvFKTRKJPGW%2B522kX5ESU6RjgjQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Greg Hendershott

May 24, 2019, 10:53:50 AM5/24/19
to Racket Users
That also looks cool! Definitely a lot of overlap. Maybe some
differences:

- I'm documenting Emacs major modes (an "app" vs. a lib). So my doc is
less concerned with example code that ought to be tested. More
concerned with stuff like showing default key bindings.

- I wanted the README to get shorter not longer. Instead I wanted users
to get a local/offline Info, and also, produce HTML to host online.

I started out a couple weeks ago, with the vague idea of making a
doc-only Racket package. However the local Info, plus the existing happy
paths to do org->texi->info and org->html, tipped me back to the Emacs
side.

Otherwise and in general I still love using Scribble and scribble/srcdoc
for Racket apps and libs.

Greg Hendershott

May 24, 2019, 10:55:47 AM5/24/19
to Racket Users
Sorawee Porncharoenwase <sorawe...@gmail.com> writes:
> Hmm. I'm seeing "This site can’t be reached" (DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN).

Instead please try with "www" subdomain:

https://www.racket-mode.com/

Although the zone apex (racket-mode.com) was working for me, yesterday,
probably I don't have it configured correctly to work for all of the
people all of the time. Will consume more coffee and take a look.