new racket-lang.org website

Robby Findler

Aug 25, 2020, 1:51:57 PM8/25/20
to Racket Users
Hi all: as you may know if you follow dev@, we've been revising the website. The new version went live last night; please have a look: https://www.racket-lang.org/

A big Thank You to Matthew Butterick for the previous design which, as you can tell, inspired the current visual design.

Matthew, Robby, Sam, Jay, John, and Matthias

Dominik Pantůček

Aug 25, 2020, 3:59:02 PM8/25/20
to Robby Findler, Racket Users
Hi,

apparently the new design is not very mobile-friendly as can be seen on the attached screenshot. If somebody has the skills and time, this should probably be fixed soon.

D.
Screenshot_20200825-213018.png

Robby Findler

Aug 25, 2020, 4:13:40 PM8/25/20
to Dominik Pantůček, Racket Users
It looks like your phone has enough pixels width wise that the site thinks it is a normal machine (albeit uncomfortably narrow). If things are slightly narrower you'll see the site changes. I am attaching two screenshots from my phone.

Robby

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/racket-users/1FFB85C8-D1E3-4E72-8A1D-8DD38FE5FF05%40trustica.cz.

Laurent

Aug 25, 2020, 4:35:31 PM8/25/20
to Robby Findler, Dominik Pantůček, Racket Users
Or maybe Dominik checked something like "Always display the desktop version for this site"? (FWIW it displays nicely on a 2,280x1,080 pixels phone screen)

Dominik Pantůček

Aug 25, 2020, 4:45:35 PM8/25/20
to Racket Users
On 25. 08. 20 22:35, Laurent wrote:
> Or maybe Dominik checked something like "Always display the desktop
> version for this site"? (FWIW it displays nicely on a 2,280x1,080 pixels
> phone screen)

I wish that was the case. The screenshot comes from Lightning browser,
however I get the same result from Chrome (default on my Cat S61 Phone)
and mobile Firefox too.

It's 1080x1920 with default Android 9 as shipped by the manufacturer.
Actually I am using this device for testing our mobile apps (yes ...).

Of course, changing the orientation to landscape makes it display the
desktop version correctly.

Sadly, I can only help by reporting as much information as possible.

Dominik

> On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 9:13 PM Robby Findler <ro...@cs.northwestern.edu
> <mailto:ro...@cs.northwestern.edu>> wrote:
>
> It looks like your phone has enough pixels width wise that the site
> thinks it is a normal machine (albeit uncomfortably narrow). If
> things are slightly narrower you'll see the site changes. I am
> attaching two screenshots from my phone.
>
> Robby
>

> On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 2:59 PM Dominik Pantůček
> <dominik....@trustica.cz <mailto:dominik....@trustica.cz>>
> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> apparently the new design is not very mobile-friendly as can be
> seen on the attached screenshot. If somebody has the skills and
> time, this should probably be fixed soon.
>
> D.
>

> On August 25, 2020 7:51:40 PM GMT+02:00, Robby Findler
> <ro...@cs.northwestern.edu <mailto:ro...@cs.northwestern.edu>>
> wrote:
>

> Hi all: as you may know if you follow dev@, we've been
> revising the website. The new version went live last night;
> please have a look: https://www.racket-lang.org/
>
> A big Thank You to Matthew Butterick for the previous design
> which, as you can tell, inspired the current visual design.
>
> Matthew, Robby, Sam, Jay, John, and Matthias

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/racket-users/CAL3TdONGCQyDnCRt42t%2B-KnOBq8XZmU71%2BTUxwkC%3Dw9TJsMb3w%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/racket-users/CAL3TdONGCQyDnCRt42t%2B-KnOBq8XZmU71%2BTUxwkC%3Dw9TJsMb3w%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/racket-users/CABNTSaEfeHBnQkb_%3Dq2E2t6%3DD3_PEcMrN7cbSXCZza%3DXjFVfvA%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/racket-users/CABNTSaEfeHBnQkb_%3Dq2E2t6%3DD3_PEcMrN7cbSXCZza%3DXjFVfvA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Eric Eide

Aug 25, 2020, 5:40:23 PM8/25/20
to Racket Users
Robby Findler <ro...@cs.northwestern.edu> writes:

> Hi all: as you may know if you follow dev@, we've been revising the
> website. The new version went live last night; please have a look:
> https://www.racket-lang.org/

Usually I don't reply just to say "This is very nice," but I want to make an
exception in this case.

This is very nice!

I especially like the Typed Racket, Scribble, and Datalog snippets!

Eric Eide <ee...@cs.utah.edu> . University of Utah School of Computing
http://www.cs.utah.edu/~eeide/ . +1 (801) 585-5512 voice, +1 (801) 581-5843 FAX

Robby Findler

Aug 25, 2020, 6:06:38 PM8/25/20
to Dominik Pantůček, Racket Users
Thanks Dominik. Currently the site uses the predicate "less than 460 pixels wide?" to determine if it should switch to single-column / phone mode. That seemed to work for the 3-4 phones (narrow) and tablets (wide) that I tried but I'm certainly not well versed in these kinds of things. The specific expression it uses is here:

(and then a bit further down is the negated version of that same predicate).

If you (or anyone!) has advice on how to improve this, that'd be welcome.

It may be that the right approach is to adjust the font sizes, as 1080x1920 sounds really wide. Is it possible that's a retina-style display and the logical number is actually 540 wide? Maybe that's a better cutoff for switching?

Robby

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/racket-users/07d6669c-8b59-766d-c527-19a8e862246b%40trustica.cz.

Robby Findler

Aug 25, 2020, 6:10:05 PM8/25/20
to Dominik Pantůček, Racket Users
I've put a version that uses 550 pixels as a cutoff here, in case that the 1080 really was 540: https://users.cs.northwestern.edu/~robby/tmp/Web/www/

Robby

Dominik Pantůček

Aug 25, 2020, 6:38:49 PM8/25/20
to Racket Users

On 26. 08. 20 0:09, Robby Findler wrote:
> I've put a version that uses 550 pixels as a cutoff here, in case that
> the 1080 really was
> 540: https://users.cs.northwestern.edu/~robby/tmp/Web/www/

This is displayed correctly using any browser on the S61 now. So
probably it is the case of those 540 "pixels". Great job! (Not just the
fix, the whole new website, actually).

Dominik

> [...]
> emails from
>
> >         it, send an email to
> racket-users...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:racket-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
>
> >         <mailto:racket-users...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:racket-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
>

> >         To view this discussion on the web visit
>

>  https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/racket-users/1FFB85C8-D1E3-4E72-8A1D-8DD38FE5FF05%40trustica.cz
>

>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/racket-users/1FFB85C8-D1E3-4E72-8A1D-8DD38FE5FF05%40trustica.cz?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>

> >     --

> from it,
>
> >     send an email to racket-users...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:racket-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
>
> >     <mailto:racket-users...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:racket-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
>
> >     To view this discussion on the web visit

Darren Newton

Aug 26, 2020, 6:21:04 AM8/26/20
to Racket Users
Congratulations on the new site! Was a nice surprise this morning. Always interesting to watch the messaging evolve over time.

David Storrs

Aug 26, 2020, 11:35:32 AM8/26/20
to Robby Findler, Racket Users
Wow!  That's beautiful.  Also, I'm on it which is a nice bit of egoboo.  Thank you for all your hard work.

gtrz...@gmail.com

Aug 27, 2020, 8:53:40 AM8/27/20
to Racket Users
The only problem I see is between 550 - 650 px width of the screen, the tab menu labels are squashed  (as in Dominik's screenshot)  and the code samples in 'Racket, the Language-Oriented Programming Language' are outside the width of the headers .
Solutions:
1. Keep the tabs (although with smaller fonts) but change content flex-direction to row for this range
or
2. Have just one cut off - 650px for mobile/tablet

Robby Findler

Aug 27, 2020, 9:50:44 AM8/27/20
to gtrz...@gmail.com, Racket Users
I made an attempt at solution 2 (the font seemed to be already pretty small just before 650px) and I've updated things here: https://users.cs.northwestern.edu/~robby/tmp/Web/www/

Is that better? What do you think?

Robby

gtrz...@gmail.com

Aug 27, 2020, 11:03:06 AM8/27/20
to Racket Users
Looks OK now - I would leave it at that - no need to complicate things further!

Dominik Pantůček

Aug 28, 2020, 7:43:27 AM8/28/20
to racket...@googlegroups.com
Except for the top links, it is perfect now.

Screenshot attached.

Dominik
Screenshot_20200827-161429.png

Robby Findler

Aug 28, 2020, 7:11:25 PM8/28/20
to Dominik Pantůček, Racket Users
I put a few tweaks that might affect other things more generally (it now picks the font size more explicitly down to smaller sizes and I fiddled with the font size adjustment for the buttons in smartphone mode and with the spacing between the buttons). New version in the usual temporary place: https://users.cs.northwestern.edu/~robby/tmp/Web/www/

Robby