Apple Silicon build errors

Nathaniel W Griswold

Jan 17, 2022, 11:16:58 AM1/17/22
to racket-users@googlegroups.com List
Has anyone else run into this error (see below) when building natively on Apple silicon? I am getting it both on a cleaned checkout with `make unix-style` with prefix at root, as well as when doing a configure with prefix using the source distribution found at https://mirror.racket-lang.org/installers/8.3/racket-8.3-src.tgz

Monterey 12.1

Nate

---
make mac-embed-boot-fw EMBED_SRC=raw_racketcs EMBED_DEST=racketcs
make[5]: Entering directory '/Users/griswold/project/racket/racket/src/build/cs/c'
rm -f racketcs
cp raw_racketcs racketcs
codesign --remove-signature racketcs
make[5]: Leaving directory '/Users/griswold/project/racket/racket/src/build/cs/c'
/usr/bin/install_name_tool -change "Racket.framework/Versions/8.3_CS/Racket" "@executable_path/Racket.framework/Versions/8.3_CS/Racket" racketcs
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/install_name_tool: fatal error: file not in an order that can be processed (link edit information does not fill the __LINKEDIT segment): racketcs
---

J. Ryan Stinnett

Jan 17, 2022, 11:23:26 AM1/17/22
to Nathaniel W Griswold, racket-users@googlegroups.com List
What version of Xcode do you have? Assuming it's the latest, have you opened it at least once to go through the first run setup of CLI tools?

- Ryan

Matthew Flatt

Jan 17, 2022, 11:24:43 AM1/17/22
to Nathaniel W Griswold, racket-users@googlegroups.com List
This is a problem with v8.3 and the latest Apple tools. It's fixed for
the upcoming v8.4 release (so, in the main branch and in the current
snapshot source distributions).

In case you want a minimal patch, commit 0a8b68b286 is the repair and
might apply cleanly to v8.3.

Nathaniel W Griswold

Jan 17, 2022, 11:50:25 AM1/17/22
to Matthew Flatt, racket-users@googlegroups.com List
Hm, Ok. The cherry-pick of 0a8b68b286 does in fact apply cleanly to the v8.3 tag.

I am still having the same issue, though, even after a full clean. Right now, I only have command-line tools (latest). I am downloading the full Xcode again but it's gonna be a little bit before i can test that, the download is kinda big.

Nate

Sorawee Porncharoenwase

Jan 17, 2022, 11:56:16 AM1/17/22
to Nathaniel W Griswold, Matthew Flatt, racket-users@googlegroups.com List
That particular issue is fixed by https://github.com/racket/racket/commit/3a8a7102abff334ee4e054c3597bebba32bda307, if I remember correctly.

Nathaniel W Griswold

Jan 17, 2022, 12:27:39 PM1/17/22
to Sorawee Porncharoenwase, Matthew Flatt, racket-users@googlegroups.com List
Ah, ok, my build finished and everything seems to be working well. The binary is signed, too. It seems to have used codesign.rkt along the way there, so i think i actually needed both Matthew's recommended commit and yours (codesign.rkt imports compiler/private/mach-o). Does that sound right, to use both patches? I was gonna try to get nixpkgs building 8.3.

Thanks

Nate
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/racket-users/CADcuegv24-MqiRUNe9yt_Bc%2BPR3BYkXE%3DS9ypSsVFm44%3DEdObg%40mail.gmail.com.

Sorawee Porncharoenwase