value turtlessnips don't display

gfb

May 7, 2015, 9:45:55 PM5/7/15
to racke...@googlegroups.com
Since the change for PR 15049, value turtle snips don't display anymore, instead there's an error.

#lang racket ; Also happens in ISL.
(require graphics/value-turtles)
(define tv (turtles 100 100))
tv ; error:

  put in editor-stream-out%: bad argument combination:
  "(100 100 (#(struct:turtle (50 50 0))) #(struct:offset (0 0 0)) ())"

The backtrace for builtin shows it getting to  make-snip-special  in:
  /share/pkgs/gui-lib/framework/private/text.rkt: 2234:2

Looking at the code for graphics/value-turtles they can't save properly: in particular the code for writing uses a method that doesn't exist. Copying a turtle snip in the earlier racket version 6.2.0.2 generates a similar error, as does (unsurprisingly) trying to save the Interactions when it contains a turtle snip.

I'm considering fixing the library, including making it rackety, but the only part I don't understand is what it's trying to accomplish with the global state of saved-turtles, for example there's the code:

(unless saved-turtles
  (error 'turtles "click execute before running the turtles"))

If it can be confirmed that it just needs to work according to the documentation, both when installed as an htdp teachpack (
Die Macht der Abstraktion doesn't depend on that library) or when required, then I'd go ahead.

Robby Findler

May 7, 2015, 9:59:33 PM5/7/15
to gfb, racke...@googlegroups.com
Confirmed! Thank you for looking into this. I don't recall what that was for anymore but it doesn't seem like such a thing should be necessary anymore.

Robby