Release Announcement for v6.2, Second Draft

Ryan Culpepper

Jun 12, 2015, 12:54:15 PM6/12/15
to d...@racket-lang.org
The release announcement sketch that I have so far is below. Please
mail me new items and/or edits.

- split repository (samth 29873382)

* The package manager supports a direct references to Git repositories
via "git://[...]", "http://[...].git", and "https://[...].git" URLs.
(Previously, only references to GitHub were supported.)

* A `--clone` option for `raco pkg install` or `raco pkg update`
further facilitates Git-based package development. For example, if a
package X has a Git repository source, then installing and updating
the package pulls from the repository, but in a read-only mode by
default. Using `raco pkg update --clone X` switches the local
installation to a repository checkout that is suitable for modifying
the package implementation, pushing changes, issuing pull requests,
and so on. Using `raco pkg update --lookup X` switches the package
back to the default installation mode.

* Added data/enumerate: a library that supports efficient enumeration of
data structures.

* DrRacket's online check syntax works with images and other non-text
content.

* DrRacket's blueboxes are available more often and contain methods and
constructor information.

* DrRacket's "Open Require Path" menu item supports ".." in relative
pathnames.

* Redex's redex-check uses enumeration to try to find counter-examples
(in addition to using random generation, as before).

* Redex's generate-term accepts additional arguments to return the
"i"-th member of a pattern using data/enumerate (meaning it
efficiently supports very large values of "i").

* Redex's examples include Launchbury's 1993 big-step lazy semantics.

* 2htdp/image: allow "polygons" to be built out of bezier curves instead
of just straight lines (see the docs for "pulled-point").

* The teaching languages come with a new teachpack, 2htdp/abstraction,
which allows instructors and students to use a number of abstractions
in ISL: for/* loops, match, define-type and type-cases.

* DrRacket's executable creation mechanism works with 2htdp/universe
programs (and they behave properly when run independently of
drracket).

* Typed Racket now displays tooltips in DrRacket that show the types of
expressions. Tooltips are also displayed for type errors.

samth:
- avoid requiring contracts when not used (8ea8c54e)

other potential Typed Racket items:
- Support for prefab structs (no contracts)
- Support for FSemaphores
- Let-aliasing
- #:implements/inits in Class types
- Type aliases allowed in class bodies
- Occurrence typing for private fields in classes
- Improvements in libraries like typed/rackunit, typed/net/url, others
- for/set, for*/set added
- contracts for Async-Channelof

Sam Tobin-Hochstadt

Jun 12, 2015, 1:09:19 PM6/12/15
to Ryan Culpepper, d...@racket-lang.org
On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 12:53 PM, Ryan Culpepper <ry...@ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> The release announcement sketch that I have so far is below. Please
> mail me new items and/or edits.
>
> - split repository (samth 29873382)

The git repository for Racket development no longer contains most of the
packages distributed with the release.

> * Typed Racket now displays tooltips in DrRacket that show the types of
> expressions. Tooltips are also displayed for type errors.

* Typed Racket no longer loads generated contracts unless they are needed,
reducing memory use and startup time for Typed Racket programs.

* Typed Racket now better supports prefab structures, future
semaphores, and async channels.

* Typed Racket now tracks the relationship between different
variables, which makes programs using macros like `match` work better.

Robby Findler

Jun 12, 2015, 2:20:30 PM6/12/15
to Sam Tobin-Hochstadt, Ryan Culpepper, d...@racket-lang.org
How about something more like this for the first one:

"The git repository for Racket development no longer contains most of
the packages distributed with the release. Instead, they are now in
their own git repositories (which has lots of incidental benefits
ranging from more focused history to smaller team formation to less
code in the privileged repo), thanks to help from our new pkg system."

Robby

Sam Tobin-Hochstadt

Jun 12, 2015, 2:26:51 PM6/12/15
to Robby Findler, Ryan Culpepper, d...@racket-lang.org
That sounds good.

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 2:20 PM Robby Findler <ro...@eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
How about something more like this for the first one:

"The git repository for Racket development no longer contains most of
the packages distributed with the release. Instead, they are now in
their own git repositories (which has lots of incidental benefits
ranging from more focused history to smaller team formation to less
code in the privileged repo), thanks to help from our new pkg system."

Robby

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 12:08 PM, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt

Matthias Felleisen

Jun 12, 2015, 4:16:25 PM6/12/15
to Sam Tobin-Hochstadt, Robby Findler, Ryan Culpepper, d...@racket-lang.org

Let me remind everyone of our announcement style:

Also I think we should separate announcements and justifications.
Keep announcements short. Link them to justifications if needed.
The repo split sounds like a topic that falls into this category.

Finally, I prefer positive over negative language.

For example, we could write

We have re-organized the Racket code base into a small
main repo and several small packages on github. While
this new organization should be invisible to the Racket
programmer, it may have consequences that our comprehensive
testing overlooked and we therefore share this information
with our users.

-- Matthias

Robby Findler

Jun 12, 2015, 4:24:38 PM6/12/15
to Matthias Felleisen, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt, Ryan Culpepper, d...@racket-lang.org
I don't think the second part is what we want to say. How about this:

We have re-organized the Racket code base into a small
main repo and many other small repos to facilitate community
involvement.

?

Robby

Matthias Felleisen