JFYI seg fault while building

'John Clements' via dev-redirect

Oct 20, 2015, 12:05:02 PM10/20/15
to dev
Just got a seg fault while running setup, apparently during a call to fast_equal_hash_key.

Here’s a gist of the crash report:

https://gist.github.com/jbclements/a8601a360881b5826138

Here’s a gist of the terminal output:

https://gist.github.com/jbclements/b2c262c81ef36ab01377

I’m building commit dfab18fe4729e71f53d0056572e3f85a72467247

(though in principle this could depend on the commit that all of my cloned trees are on, too…)

I’m just going to try building again.

John

'John Clements' via dev-redirect

Oct 27, 2015, 4:37:11 PM10/27/15
to dev
I saw this crash again (thread 8 crashed during raco setup, again during a call to fast_equal_hash_key).

Crash report on request.

John

Matthew Flatt

Oct 31, 2015, 9:52:08 PM10/31/15
to John Clements, dev
I've finally been able to track down this bug. It's due to a misapplied
unsafe operation in the Typed Racket optimizer, and that bug is
triggered when compiling "midi-readwrite" --- which is why it's so
consistent for you and not seen by others who don't have the package
installed.

In the TR implementation, changing `unsafe-Req-seq` to use `Rep-seq`
instead of `unsafe-struct*-ref` produces the error

Rep-seq: contract violation
expected: Rep?
given: #f
compilation context...:
..../pkgs/midi-readwrite/midi-readwrite/midi-read.rkt
context...:
..../typed-racket/types/subtype.rkt:238:0: subtype*

Vincent St-Amour

Nov 1, 2015, 8:57:22 AM11/1/15
to Matthew Flatt, John Clements, dev
Sounds like a bug in the TR optimizer. I'll look into it.

Vincent
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/racket-dev/56357047.a1fb440a.8cd5e.ffffc2d6SMTPIN_ADDED_MISSING%40mx.google.com.

Sam Tobin-Hochstadt

Nov 1, 2015, 10:41:54 AM11/1/15
to Vincent St-Amour, Matthew Flatt, John Clements, dev
If it's an eror with `Rep-seq` being passed #f, then probably it's
just a bug somewhere else in TR, rather than related to the optimizer,
unless it goes away when the optimizer is off.

Sam