Offer to move the rack-attack project to the rack GitHub organization

Corey Farwell

Jul 30, 2020, 10:40:42 AM7/30/20
to Rack Development
Hey everyone, my name is Corey Farwell and I'm an engineer at Kickstarter.

Years back in 2012, some Kickstarter engineers created the rack-attack project, which is a Rack middleware for blocking and throttling abusive requests. We still utilize and rely on rack-attack, but due to staffing changes and reductions, we have not made any significant contributions to the project over the past few years. We are fortunate to have a volunteer in the community, Gonzalo Rodriguez, who has stepped up to maintain the project in our absence. At this point, I personally consider rack-attack to be a community-driven project, despite living within the Kickstarter GitHub organization.

Fast forward to February of this year, Samuel Williams in Gitter suggested moving the project to the rack GitHub organization. I ran this idea past the Engineering and Legal teams at Kickstarter and got the green light! Is this something y'all are interested in? Related– my last day at Kickstarter is in two weeks, so if we want this to happen, we might need to move a little fast :)

Hope you all are doing okay during this tumultuous time

Corey Farwell