New AP Format Needs Volunteers!

Jonathan Spicker

Apr 12, 2022, 9:41:38 AM4/12/22
to Queen City Wheels

We’re in need of two volunteers for scoring the women/beginner’s race from 6:45 to 7:45 each Wednesday in June. These two volunteers would be responsible for tracking riders and then scoring them in the final sprint. This race will be run as a typical criterium, with no “points sprints” within the race. If we are unable to find the needed volunteers this race will NOT BE RUN.

The new format for Ault Park in 2022 will consist of the following:

40k start at 8:00 Men Category 1-3, Men Category 4 35+ Masters (ONLY), Women and Juniors Category 3 (Points scored every five laps).

30k start at 6:45 – Men Category 4/5, Men Category 4 35+ Masters, Women, Juniors Category 4/5 and 1-Day license holders (Points scored every five laps).

18k start at 6:45 – Women, Juniors Category 4/5 and 1-Day license holders (Standard criterium sprint finish, no points laps).

How Will The 30k/18k Work?

·         First of all, we need two volunteers for the 18k to happen at all.

·         18k riders will have different color bibs and be identified and separated from the 30k riders at the starting line.

·         30k and 18k riders will start together.

·         Riders may intermix once racing starts.

·         Lap cards and the number of laps remaining will be determined by the main field regardless of lapped riders.

·         With 17 laps to go a horn (or something other than a bell) will sound indicating that the 18k race will finish on the next lap.

·         18k riders will participate in a finishing sprint on the 18th lap while keeping to the extreme right-hand side of the finish line and will NOT go around the island chicane. 30k riders will continue on the extreme left-hand side of the finish line up and around the island chicane.

·         The two volunteer 18k score keepers will keep track of ONLY 18k rider positions throughout the race regarding their positions relative to one another, and score the final sprint.

·         18k riders will be asked to reconvene at the finish line and verify their positioning with the 18k score keepers.

·         18k series riders will receive plaques and awards five places deep at the end of the series.

If you are interested in volunteering to help score the 18k race please email me directly at Jonatha...@yahoo.com. Or call me at 513-793-7352.

Likewise feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions regarding this new approach.

Jonathan Spicker

Apr 13, 2022, 8:38:28 AM4/13/22
to Queen City Wheels
Sue Surface has volunteered to manage the 18k scoring with assistance from Heather Maier, Annette Stierwalt, Lisa Gorrasi and if needed Lisa Taylor.
So we are good to go with this new format!

I'll try and get the official information out soon.
In the meantime mark your calendar for the FIVE Wednesdays of June.

Thanks.
Jonathan