Win 7 HVM in seamless mode will run fullscreen in i3wm

One7two99

Oct 5, 2017, 4:30:39 PM10/5/17
to qubes-users
Hello,

I would like to use my Win 7 HVM with i3wm in seamless mode.
After making sure that seamless mode is working without any problems under the xfce window manager in Qubes 3.2 i triet to run the same Win 7 HVM in i3wm.

Unfortunately the Win 7 AppVM will always run in fullscreen mode.
If I disable seamless mode and start up the VM in Debug mode, I get two win7 windows, one is the black startupwindow and the 2nd one the real desktop.

If I disable debug mode and enable seamless mode, the first windows which will some up when starting the win7 appvm will be gone but the main win7 windows will still stay on top.

QUESTION:
1) Is it possible to use Win 7 in seamless mode when using i3wm
2) if yes, how can I make it work or where to look for a root cause?

[799]

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

[799]

Oct 10, 2017, 4:44:02 PM10/10/17
to One7two99, qubes-users
Hello,

after some more testing I found the root cause why a Windows 7 HVM will always run in fullscreen mode under the tiling window manager i3wm.
The following config line was used to move the windows VM to a specific workspace:
set $workspace3 "3 Windows"
assign [class="win7"] $workspace3

Problem:
Windows 7 will not work in seamless mode with i3wm.
When booting up the VM will always run in fullscreen mode.

Root cause:
having an "assign"-entry in your ~/.local/i3/config which can move a windows to a specific workspace/desktop will break seamless mode.

Solution:
Removing the configuration option in your i3 config.
This will make seamless mode work with your win7 HVM and you'll get a windows in a tilinmg window manager.
unfortunately you need to move windows manually to the desired workspace.

This behaviour looks strange to me, so I name this a bug, but I am unsure if this is i3wm or Qubes related.