HCL DELL PRECISION M4800

Benoit Rebillon

May 7, 2018, 8:57:09 AM5/7/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Everything work fine. Except the video for very high definition (4K).

RhYzome

Qubes-HCL-Dell_Inc_-Precision_M4800-20180501-155941.yml

Scott Mason

Aug 24, 2020, 5:03:21 PM8/24/20
to qubes-users
Saw this post about Dell M4800 working well below.  I bought one and attempted to install Q ubes 4.0.

I am getting IOMMU/VT-d/ADM-Vi, Interrupt Remapping warning.

It will partially install with the warning(s) above.  Depending on the BIOS setting I get

IOMMU/VT-d/ADM-Vi
HAP/SLAT/ET/RVI warning.  somtimes I get both errors

Can you suggest any BIOS settings I can change ?

I have set it enable EUFI.
I have set "Enable Legacy Option ROMs off/on (both)
I have set "Enable Intel Virtualization Technology enable/disable (both)
TPM enabled - does not work.

I can find no combinations that works.

Please help.

System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Precision M4800
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU Precision M4800
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710MQ CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A14, 5/19/2015
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer Dell Inc.
BaseBoard Product 0V5GVY
BaseBoard Version A00
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.18362.752"
User Name DESKTOP-TPUU4D3\User
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 24.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 23.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 21.7 GB
Total Virtual Memory 27.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory 25.6 GB
Page File Space 3.88 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

[Hardware Resources]

[Conflicts/Sharing]

Resource Device
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI Express Root Complex
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller
Memory Address 0xF7900000-0xF79FFFFF Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Series PCI Express Root Port #8 - 8C1E
Memory Address 0xF7900000-0xF79FFFFF SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller
Memory Address 0xF4000000-0xF4FFFFFF NVIDIA Quadro K2100M
Memory Address 0xF4000000-0xF4FFFFFF PCI-to-PCI Bridge

Qubes

Aug 24, 2020, 5:33:16 PM8/24/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 8/24/20 11:03 PM, Scott Mason wrote:
> Saw this post about Dell M4800 working well below. I bought one and
> attempted to install Q ubes 4.0.
>
> I am getting IOMMU/VT-d/ADM-Vi, Interrupt Remapping warning.
>
> It will partially install with the warning(s) above. Depending on the BIOS
> setting I get
>
> IOMMU/VT-d/ADM-Vi
> HAP/SLAT/ET/RVI warning. somtimes I get both errors
>

> Can you suggest any BIOS settings I can change ?
>
> I have set it enable EUFI.

Have you tried with legacy boot, UEFI did not work for me either.

Scott Mason

Aug 29, 2020, 9:20:42 PM8/29/20
to qubes-users
Yes.

Both UEFI and Legacy.

I set BIOS to Legacy and try to re-install.  I get:

IOMMU/VT-d/ADM-Vi, Interrupt Remapping

 i7-4710MQ CPU

This is a i7 24Mb laptop I bought just for Quebes.  I am going to have to sell this laptop or give up on Quebes.  :/

> Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710MQ CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8
> Logical Processor(s)
> BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A14, 5/19/2015
> SMBIOS Version 2.7

I don't know what else I can do.  ???

Scott Mason

Aug 30, 2020, 3:17:17 PM8/30/20
to qubes-users
Solved:

I have found this and I think it would serve the entire Qubes community when checking hardware requirements:

How do I know if my CPU supports VT x or AMD-V?

Method 3: Visit Intel’s product specification site. Visit Intel’s product specification site (https://ark.intel.com/) and follow these steps:

  1. Once on the site, enter the processor information you noted above in the search box located on the right-hand side of the page.

  2. Under “Advanced Technologies” on the product page for your processor, you will see whether Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x) is supported or not.   It will show Yes or No

If you do this before you purchase or attempt to install Qubes you will have some assurance that Qubes will work.

My configuration for the Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710MQ CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) says:
  •   Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x) ‡ Yes

  • Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) No

I don't know of other options I can try.  I am sure an expert could tweak this.  I just don't have the time.

unman

Aug 31, 2020, 7:49:35 AM8/31/20
to qubes-users
On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 12:17:17PM -0700, Scott Mason wrote:
> Solved:
>
> I have found this and I think it would serve the entire Qubes community
> when checking hardware requirements:
>
> *How do I know if my CPU supports VT x or AMD-V?*
>
> Method 3: Visit Intel???s product specification site. Visit Intel???s product
> specification site (*https://ark.intel.com/* <https://ark.intel.com/>) and
> follow these steps:
>
> 1.
>
> Once on the site, enter the processor information you noted above in the
> search box located on the right-hand side of the page.
> 2.
>
> Under ???Advanced Technologies??? on the product page for your processor, *you
> will see* whether Intel?? Virtualization Technology (VT-x) is supported
> or not. It will show *Yes* or *No*
>
> *If you do this before you purchase or attempt to install Qubes you will
> have some assurance that Qubes will work.*

This resource has been mentioned regularly on the mailing list, and is
on the hardware requirements page in the docs.
Unfortunately it only provides *part* of the assurance that is needed -
we do see people who have CPU capable of VT-x, but are unable to get
it working.
The thing is that you need **both** a board **and** a CPU which are VT-x
or AMD-V capable.
The usual advice is that you ask the manufacturer before purchase -
that way you have iron clad guarantee of getting money back if support
is not available.
Or select model from HCL.