Alias interface file does not persist

Hack

Apr 1, 2017, 5:54:26 AM4/1/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I tried to add an Alias interface configuration files in:
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0
but it does not work.

Of course, I used bind-dirs as usual, but here, the file itself:
ifcfg-eth0:0
does not persist, but directories does…

Unman

Apr 1, 2017, 1:33:51 PM4/1/17
to Hack, qubes...@googlegroups.com
I assume you've read the docs on bind-dirs - did you notice the
gotchas about creating new, and editing, files?
One solution would be to create the file in /rw/bind-dirs/etc... and
restart the qube. Try that and see if it solves the problem.

Hack

Apr 5, 2017, 4:42:46 AM4/5/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 04/01/2017 07:33 PM, Unman wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 01, 2017 at 11:54:05AM +0200, Hack wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I tried to add an Alias interface configuration files in:
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0
>> but it does not work.
>>
>> Of course, I used bind-dirs as usual, but here, the file itself:
>> ifcfg-eth0:0
>> does not persist, but directories does…
>
> I assume you've read the docs on bind-dirs - did you notice the
> gotchas about creating new, and editing, files?

Thanks, and yes I read the doc.

> One solution would be to create the file in /rw/bind-dirs/etc... and
> restart the qube. Try that and see if it solves the problem.

already done, and nothing works!

I am not familiar with Fedora, but maybe «Fedora» creates a temporary
ifcfg-eth0:0 file and copy it over /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ ?

Unman

Apr 5, 2017, 9:06:05 AM4/5/17
to Hack, qubes...@googlegroups.com
It works as expected with a Debian template. (of course.)

I dont use Fedora, but this seems to be a common Fedora issue, not
specific to Qubes. As you guessed the Network Manager is overwriting
your settings.

Can you try adding the extra IP address using NetworkManager, and see if
that resolves your issue? Remove the ifcfg-eth0:0 from /rw/ first.